Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Miya to the vet again today after her diagnosis of tracheal collapse. The vet ran her bloodwork again since August. Her thyroid is back to normal. Aside from the meds (Enalapril and Furosemide) for the CHF the vet gave an antibiotic for the lung infection she’s developed. I’ve been able to feed her three times a day and she put on 2 ounces. She’s at the initial stages of kidney disease. He said it’s imperative she drinks more and eats more hence he gave me a nutrical supplement to feed her. She can no longer go for walks due to the seizures but she does enjoy her buggy rides. Please everyone keep her in your prayers so that I am able to have a little more time with her....🙏🙏🙏

·
Metrowest, MA
26,718 Posts
Warm wishes for both of you! :hug:

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
😰💞💞🙏 💞💞🙏😰

Thoughts and Prayers

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,176 Posts
Oh no! Many thoughts and prayers for you. :grouphug:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She is 11. Took her to the vet and he started her on vetmedin the other heart medication and I was happy to note she had put on weight from my force feedings. Maybe I still have some time with her. Thank you God 🙏

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am sorry to hear this! My Olive is just past 2 years old and she chokes every time I give her a treat? it is like she is coaching? And has developed a really bad breath? I feed her a homemade food consisting of beef broccoli kale sea meal spinach pumpkin various fruits blackberries blueberries apple green beans flax seeds. I don't know why her breath smells so bad? her teeth and gums are perfect

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
I am sorry to hear this! My Olive is just past 2 years old and she chokes every time I give her a treat? it is like she is coaching? And has developed a really bad breath? I feed her a homemade food consisting of beef broccoli kale sea meal spinach pumpkin various fruits blackberries blueberries apple green beans flax seeds. I don't know why her breath smells so bad? her teeth and gums are perfect
I'm perplexed my your comments. Apparently, Olive can eat and swallow her food but Chokes on Treats? What treats does Olive cough and choke on?

Chronic bad breath is an indication of a bigger health problem, if it's not due to poor dental hygiene. Ongoing bad breath can indicate medical problems in a pet's mouth, respiratory system, gastrointestinal tract or organs.

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,906 Posts
I am curious if this homemade diet is nutritionally balanced. Do you know? Is there a source of calcium? The teeth may look good but there could be something going on under the the gum line or a tooth could be cracked. I would have her checked by a vet for any dental or health issues.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
I am curious if this homemade diet is nutritionally balanced. Do you know? Is there a source of calcium? The teeth may look good but there could be something going on under the the gum line or a tooth could be cracked. I would have her checked by a vet for any dental or health issues.
I never remember having a Vet tell me any of my previous dogs needed their teeth cleaned. Patti is 2-years 8-months and my Vet has never mentioned any problems with teeth on this dog or our daughter's Golden-Doodle teeth who is seven years old.

I decided to look at Patti's teeth and they're white with a tiny bit a yellow on her two canines. Her teeth are whiter than mine. I give her Greenies several times a week and she gnaws on antler bones for a few minutes a couple of times a day. After breakfast in the morning and after she eats in the evening. She's on Honest Kitchen food.

I've NEVER brushed a dog's teeth. NEVER heard that is was recommended. I wonder about all this concern and expense regarding teeth cleaning.

Karen has never said she brushes her three dogs teeth. Tom King doesn't mention he brushes his dozen or more dogs teeth. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Pam brushes all the dogs' teeth, but not every day. She uses Coconut oil.

We strongly recommend not to feed compressed chews, like Greenies. Years ago, one of our babies, that someone else owned, died from an impaction from a Greenie chunk.

Wishing the best for Miya!

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
I brush Scout and Truffles teeth daily. Even with daily brushing there have been problems, four tooth fractures with an abscess. If they had not had their teeth cleaned I would not have known there was a problem. They had a examine before the cleaning and the dentist thought their teeth looked good. I'm guessing if the teeth were just cleaned, the problem teeth would loosen and fall out. The untreated abscess could cause serious problems.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts