Havanese Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to rename this cutie from Molly Mo Anam Cara (Celtic for my soul friend.) to Molly Poo A Lot.

Today Molly is 11 weeks old and did 2 poos in the crate, one was in there in the morning, and two on the floor and 3 outside. I put her on a schedule and she is at 3 feedings a day. She is on IAMS small breed puppy per breeder. She is taken out close to every hour except for the night. She is either in her crate or on a leash, inside too.

I have never had a puppy this young. Is this to be expected at 11 weeks? When I read online it seems potty training readiness is 13 to 16 weeks. If so what do people do in the meantime with their puppy for potty training?

Her BM is soft . I think it could be a bit more firm and am not sure if I should consider changing her food.

I switched from a medium crate to a small crate. I try to take her out extra after her feedings and let her exercise on a long retractable leash. We have a lot of space and lawn so she gets a good amount of exercise.

Should I continue the course and count on her slowly changing as she matures or am I missing something?

·
Registered
93 Posts
She has a vet appointment coming up. She is not sick. I did read 6 poos a day is not unusual. Today only one piddle inside and everything else outside so far. Yeah!
My bad, I thought she had 6 poos all in one morning! Still, a vet can help if you think she might have a food intolerance. Otherwise, most dogs even at 11 weeks usually instinctually do not go potty in their crate unless the crate is either too big or they are feeling sick/poo urgency. It's a natural for them to dislike going where they sleep. That's why I figured maybe there was an upset tummy issue. Good on you for changing crate size!! Anxiety can cause upset tummy too, though I don't know if shes anxious in the crate. If she's going in the crate and playpen, it is probably worth restructuring how and when you are bringing her out to potty. Try to time when she usually goes poo, and take her out around those times if you can. I do remember at that age Enzo was going about 5 times a day. So it's not unusual for her to be going 6 times. Enzo also had a soft stool every so often, which isn't too unusual, but it's good to keep an eye on it.

Most puppies poo a few minutes after eating (there is a hormone that stimulates BMs released by the body to make room for the new food coming in. Gross but cool!) and often will have to go potty when they wake for a nap or after a play session. If every hour isn't doing it, take her out every half hour when shes awake. I've read that while outside, giving them 10 sq ft of space and 10 minutes outside at least to go potty is a good way to set them up for success. I was lucky because Enzo naturally preferred pooping outside even at 11 weeks of age. I am not sure if his breeder was taking him outside to poo before I got him, I know they had indoor potty spots set up though (something else to look into if you haven't is setting up a litter box in the playpen, there are plenty of threads here that can help) so that helped too.

I tried to cover what I remembered from the early stages. Unfortunately once you get them pottying consistently, some of them will have some potty training regression when they hit adolescence..But always just remember to go back to basics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bad, I thought she had 6 poos all in one morning! Still, a vet can help if you think she might have a food intolerance. Otherwise, most dogs even at 11 weeks usually instinctually do not go potty in their crate unless the crate is either too big or they are feeling sick/poo urgency. It's a natural for them to dislike going where they sleep. That's why I figured maybe there was an upset tummy issue. Good on you for changing crate size!! Anxiety can cause upset tummy too, though I don't know if shes anxious in the crate. If she's going in the crate and playpen, it is probably worth restructuring how and when you are bringing her out to potty. Try to time when she usually goes poo, and take her out around those times if you can. I do remember at that age Enzo was going about 5 times a day. So it's not unusual for her to be going 6 times. Enzo also had a soft stool every so often, which isn't too unusual, but it's good to keep an eye on it.

Most puppies poo a few minutes after eating (there is a hormone that stimulates BMs released by the body to make room for the new food coming in. Gross but cool!) and often will have to go potty when they wake for a nap or after a play session. If every hour isn't doing it, take her out every half hour when shes awake. I've read that while outside, giving them 10 sq ft of space and 10 minutes outside at least to go potty is a good way to set them up for success. I was lucky because Enzo naturally preferred pooping outside even at 11 weeks of age. I am not sure if his breeder was taking him outside to poo before I got him, I know they had indoor potty spots set up though (something else to look into if you haven't is setting up a litter box in the playpen, there are plenty of threads here that can help) so that helped too.

I tried to cover what I remembered from the early stages. Unfortunately once you get them pottying consistently, some of them will have some potty training regression when they hit adolescence..But always just remember to go back to basics.
Thank you for your explanations, encouragement and sharing your own experience. The stool is a bit firmer, 5 outside poo and 2 inside pee and many outside. I think for now I will try to make the jump to outside training before I start with inside stuff. We live in socal and have amazing weather and we have a big yard. Also I would not want my older Havanese, Nina, 11 yrs, to get ideas.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi. She’s sooo cute and I love both names!! I personally think 2 poos inside, or one, at that age is too many- it comes down to limiting freedom a bit or watching more carefully when she is out- maybe the tether is long and u can’t have @eyes on”? I think once they do it incorrectly a few too many times it’s harder to break. My young pups didn’t have accidents and after a few days had a good deal of freedom in family room hours a day.
I knew their schedules and watched body language. someone on here mentioned using her schedule rather than making one- the basic as soon as she wakes, after eatingduring after play, after naps.. it slows down a bit soon!!!!For naps and bed I prefer the expen for these lil guys at that age.
I also think that while puppies need exercise, going for outdoor visits should be all about The Potty. Using the command word, such as go potty or go make. Calm praise and then in to play.
When they are this young I used a pad. I still have one and use it in Florida- storms mostly, but they are always down. I change them quickly and they are not an issue for me. I think if u r ever going to use pads then sooner is better- however, many people may have had problems switching to outdoor potty- def not an expert in potty pads- just what works for me.
Mine, and I think most dogs, still prefer going potty outside even if trained to pads as a pup.
I find this really helps me.
Debbie

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ready to rename this cutie from Molly Mo Anam Cara (Celtic for my soul friend.) to Molly Poo A Lot.

Today Molly is 11 weeks old and did 2 poos in the crate, one was in there in the morning, and two on the floor and 3 outside. I put her on a schedule and she is at 3 feedings a day. She is on IAMS small breed puppy per breeder. She is taken out close to every hour except for the night. She is either in her crate or on a leash, inside too.

I have never had a puppy this young. Is this to be expected at 11 weeks? When I read online it seems potty training readiness is 13 to 16 weeks. If so what do people do in the meantime with their puppy for potty training?

Her BM is soft . I think it could be a bit more firm and am not sure if I should consider changing her food.

I switched from a medium crate to a small crate. I try to take her out extra after her feedings and let her exercise on a long retractable leash. We have a lot of space and lawn so she gets a good amount of exercise.

Should I continue the course and count on her slowly changing as she matures or am I missing something?
Hi, I posted below- still new. She’s a sweetie and I posted about what kinds of training works for me.
I did want to add that her food is not great. If she moved up a grade in quality, u would definitely see a decrease in the amount of poo and increase in poo quality- because we all hope sweeties vet check went ok. Her poo amount isn’t outrageous. But it would change. And better food is maybe easier to hold in on their lil bowels because they eat less quantity of the better food and less is going through their system. So there may not be so much pressure and urge and perhaps she could hold it easier a bit longer.
Debbie

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi. She’s sooo cute and I love both names!! I personally think 2 poos inside, or one, at that age is too many- it comes down to limiting freedom a bit or watching more carefully when she is out- maybe the tether is long and u can’t have @eyes on”? I think once they do it incorrectly a few too many times it’s harder to break. My young pups didn’t have accidents and after a few days had a good deal of freedom in family room hours a day.
I knew their schedules and watched body language. someone on here mentioned using her schedule rather than making one- the basic as soon as she wakes, after eatingduring after play, after naps.. it slows down a bit soon!!!!For naps and bed I prefer the expen for these lil guys at that age.
I also think that while puppies need exercise, going for outdoor visits should be all about The Potty. Using the command word, such as go potty or go make. Calm praise and then in to play.
When they are this young I used a pad. I still have one and use it in Florida- storms mostly, but they are always down. I change them quickly and they are not an issue for me. I think if u r ever going to use pads then sooner is better- however, many people may have had problems switching to outdoor potty- def not an expert in potty pads- just what works for me.
Mine, and I think most dogs, still prefer going potty outside even if trained to pads as a pup.
I find this really helps me.
Debbie
Thank you for sharing your experience. Yes, she is in her small kennel, on a 4 ft leash or outside on a retractable. When I go outside I carry her else she looses it on the way over there. I put her down and softly tell her potty. Usually she takes several steps and does a pee. I then walk and let her run on the retractable fir sometime till she hopefully does a poo. We have never used pads. Our other Havie was slightly older.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, I posted below- still new. She’s a sweetie and I posted about what kinds of training works for me.
I did want to add that her food is not great. If she moved up a grade in quality, u would definitely see a decrease in the amount of poo and increase in poo quality- because we all hope sweeties vet check went ok. Her poo amount isn’t outrageous. But it would change. And better food is maybe easier to hold in on their lil bowels because they eat less quantity of the better food and less is going through their system. So there may not be so much pressure and urge and perhaps she could hold it easier a bit longer.
Debbie
That was my thought. What would you recommend? With my other Havanese, I tried different ones and ended up with taste of the wild for puppies and now taste of the wild lamb. Nina is 11. I just do not want to try and try different stuff out on her all the time like I did with my older Havanese, Nina.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When Worf was about 2-4 months old, he pooped everytime we went outside, and occasionally on the carpet if I missed his cues. I had a theme song for him, two poops (a play on Sublime's two joints):

I take two poops in the morning,
I take two poops at night,
I take two poops in the afternoon,
It makes me feel alright,
I take two poops before I take two poops,
And then I take two more

Now he's a year old and generally down to about 3 a day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well there has definitely been an improvement. She still goes a lot but now outside thankfully. We are down to the occasional pee accident. She also drips a little from excitement when she sees me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well there has definitely been an improvement. She still goes a lot but now outside thankfully. We are down to the occasional pee accident. She also drips a little from excitement when she sees me.
Hi. That’s great to hear!
In your original post u had said the breeder had her on Iams- that’s why I suggested changing. But taste of the wild is a great food for the price. I used it for years w my mastiff.
With my lil ones I had been using I &you &l love- not well known but my dogs did well on it. However, it is not always in stock and it was a longish drive because the hurricane shut down the closest pet supermarket, and even getting it online became difficult.
Then a new mom and pop pet supply place opened 5 min from me. Their prices are great. I switched them to Orijen for what I was basically paying for the other. It was the small breed -Orijen is a great food but so is TOTW.
I’m glad she’s doing better- one thing though- when I come home or enter a room they are in I ignore them at first- I know it sounds mean maybe- but after I put stuff down, ect - sometimes 10 seconds to a minute depending and then I will look at them and give a quiet hello, ask how they r doing (of course they understand!🐶❤) then after a minute I’ll give them some love and pets but not every time- sometimes it’s just hey guys and a quick pat. A normal conversational voice rather than getting too high pitched - I’m not saying u do that- but it definitely can get puppies too excited.. and could cause them to piddle.
debbie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts