Havanese Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does establishing a Money Market account for your beloved companion(s) sound insane? Well, it's not. If your boys or girls are lucky enough to live past 15-16, likely, you will start to incur numerous expenses, not all covered by insurance (if you were smarter than me and bought it).

Ten years ago, on a friend's advice, I opened a Money Market account to pay for doggy care expenses. Since I unexpectedly retired early, I am sure glad I did it. Just in the past month, I was out of pocket over 5k in expenses for Boo. Thank goodness for that high yield account. It made it possible to not have to pick and choose between recommended care. You never want to be in that position. Plus it's funny to see the expression on your vet's face, when you tell them that cost is not a concern cause my Havanese has a Money Market checking account.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
We have always chosen to "self insure" our animals. While we do not keep it in a separate account, they will always get the care they need out of money that we have earmarked that is in our investment accounts.

There ARE treatments I would not agree to. For instance, I would not agree to removing a limb on a dog with osteosarcoma or doing abdominal surgery on a dog with hemangiosarcoma. But in both cases, that has nothing to do with the cost. It has to do with the trade-off of up-front suffering for extension of life. I can see doing a orthopedic surgery on a dog that will be returned to healthy life... at least for a period of time. But both of those cancers are relatively quick killers. A period of months, even WITH surgical intervention. I do not think it is a mercy to put a dog through that kind of trauma to extend their life for a few weeks or months. But it would have nothing to do with the cost.

·
Ricky Ricardo "Super Moderator"
3,546 Posts
We purchased stock for Ricky in a popular electric car company a few years ago when it was cheap. Ricky now has more net worth than I have as a result. He can pay for his own medical care...it's a version of Medidog! 🤑👨‍⚕️

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
We purchased stock for Ricky in a popular electric car company a few years ago when it was cheap. Ricky now has more net worth than I have as a result. He can pay for his own medical care...it's a version of Medidog! 🤑👨‍⚕️
I hope you are his beneficiaries! (or does he intend to leave it to HRI! LOL!)

My brother put $20,000 in his will to go to me to take care of his dog, Rocky, in the event that he and his wife per-decease Rocky. Since Rocky is 15, I think that is unlikely at this point, though he is still VERY spry!!! But I DID tell my brother that I would be HONORED to care for Rocky whether he had supplied money or not! ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I bought stock in a new dog food when it first went public a few years ago because Cassie loved it. I won’t name it, but the return has been unbelievable..I sold half of it at height of pandemic when new pet owners were buying like crazy...kept half and it continues to grow. Proceeds of first half is in ”her” bank account. Funny thing is, she isn’t eating it any more because she is now on hypoallergetic diet. Of course, money market is a safer bet, but it is sort of fun to say her care is paid for by her favorite food. Stock is now too high to justify purchase...when my grandkids were small I bought stock in their favorite foods too.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
I bought stock in a new dog food when it first went public a few years ago because Cassie loved it. I won’t name it, but the return has been unbelievable..I sold half of it at height of pandemic when new pet owners were buying like crazy...kept half and it continues to grow. Proceeds of first half is in ”her” bank account. Funny thing is, she isn’t eating it any more because she is now on hypoallergetic diet. Of course, money market is a safer bet, but it is sort of fun to say her care is paid for by her favorite food. Stock is now too high to justify purchase...when my grandkids were small I bought stock in their favorite foods too.
That’s kind of a fun thing to do, no matter how it turns out in the end! ❤

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
I love it! It seems smart to invest in something you care about instead of trying to guess what everyone else will care about. I think I would be less disappointed if something didn’t do well if that’s how I chose it. I especially love that you went with your grandkids’ favorite foods! I should have somehow invested in ketchup and ranch dressing. I hate both, but there’s probably some deep economic principle at play and it would end up growing more than some gourmet adult food.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
I love it! It seems smart to invest in something you care about instead of trying to guess what everyone else will care about. I think I would be less disappointed if something didn’t do well if that’s how I chose it. I especially love that you went with your grandkids’ favorite foods! I should have somehow invested in ketchup and ranch dressing. I hate both, but there’s probably some deep economic principle at play and it would end up growing more than some gourmet adult food.
These days, it would probably be ketchup PACKETS! LOL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts