Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used the couplers that allow you to walk two or three dogs at the same time on one leash? I am curious to know, do they get tangled, do they get annoyed with each other so close? How does it work as I would love to take all three on walk with me at once but can't handle three leashes - and the tangling mess!!
Laurie

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I've used a coupler for two with no trouble. The faster dog will usually lead a little bit ahead. I found the coupler (lead splitter) to be much easier than walking two dogs on separate leashes.

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
I have both the double one and the triple one. I like the double one better. With the triple one, the dog in the "middle" tends to get squished a bit. Plus they are switching positions all the time, it's a bit much!

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
My husband refers to it as the great equalizer! My maltese tends to forge and the havanese lag, so rather than making the walker get tangled, they keep themselves in position and it is a much more enjoyable walk. A lot less sniffing than walking! We now have 2 of them and I like the shorter one that keeps them closer together especially when we take them running.

Amanda

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I'll ha ve to try this, because when we walk, Shelby just runs around in circles and jumps over Kodi. We are always getting tangled :eek:
We'll be starting puppy class soon, becauseI need more discipline in training her, and some one-on-one time without Kodi interfering. He gets jealous :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I think I will get a double & a triple. This way when walking with the hubby, he can have a leash too:D

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Laurie, how did your party go? Logan has grown soooo big he is almost as big as your girls...

I haven't gotten the hang of the double leash yet. And silly question? Will they do their Biz when they are kept so close together-- or do you just use the double leash for excersise?

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Missy, Hi - the party was WONDERFUL. Everything went off without a single problem & my parents were so happy to have all the family there. It really was a nice weekend.
I know that Logan looks so big, but it is all hair!! He got neutered yesterday and weighed 9.5 lbs (at 5 months 1 week old) - Lily is close to 17lbs- so I think the fur is deceiving. My poor boy looks so pathetic with that collar on, but keeps trying to lick so I will have to leave it for a while. I hate those collars cause after a few days their heads start to really smell bad:eek:
I can't answer about the biz cause I have never used them before but it is a really good question = I hope someone can tell us:rolleyes: They also sell them at 4", 12" and 24" = what is the proper size for the Havs??

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Laurie, great news about the party. may want to check out the Bite Not collar http://www.bitenot.com--- This really saved Jassy, who was pathetic in his elizabethan collar- and couldn't get through his doggy door with it. He would just bump into things and then just stand there with his head hanging to the floor-- and he couldn't get the wound- but the collar did and kept scratching it. The vet said put a pair of your husbands boxer shorts on him to protect it. Well I think she was confusing us with a bigger dog. But when we got this collar he was much happier. we had to keep him from licking for a full 14 days. So I was very happy to find this. You just have to take it off now and then and give them a good neck scratch.

good luck- poor little logan. Cash's is coming in a month or so.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Missy - thanks. That is a very interesting collar. I will look in to it. Yea, Logan walks across the floor & runs into the side of walls with this collar. He is also afraid to go outside to the bathroom - I guess he feels afraid cause he cant see from side to side out there.

Reece, Thanks - I also love his colors. People always say that it is so unusual that the Havs come in so many different colors. He is such a sweetie pie that even the kids (teens) love him to death. I am very lucky, I have a great mix of three very different personalities - its a lot of fun!!

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
I use the split lead with my two standards and Bugsy get waled on a separte lead. But to tell the truth, most of the time they are at the park or on the beach, so their leash time is minimal.

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
Good question. When they go potty. I do have to use a stay command. Dora loves her walks and will easily pull the little maltese along anywhere she wants to go. I just say stay. Now, she is old and mature enough, she gets the hang of it.... unless there is a squirrel, Belle learns to potty a lot quicker!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Does anyone have some links where we can find examples of multiple leads? I know I could do a search myself, but if there are some of you who already have this type of leash and recommend a certain brand, it would be very helpful!

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marj - you can look on petedge.com - they offer them in 4" 12" and 24" but I just dont know which would be best for the 10 - 18 lb dog?
Laurie

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The problem for me is that they only have the 2 dog, not the 3 dog ones. I will keep looking but still would like to put the question out to everyone about which size is best??

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
I guess it depends on how close in size your dogs are.
I just measured my 3-way and the length from the center ring to the clip is about 4 1/2 to 5 inches. My dogs are on the smaller side, around 10 lbs average. My 2 way is 6 in. from the center ring out to the clip.
I don't know if this helps you or not!
I would guess maybe the 12 in? (I am asuming they mean the length from end to end).

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
Laurie,
I looked back to where I got it in ebay and it is called the scout small two dog coupler. I am sure you can find it other places, I paid $6.95 for mine and $3.95 shipping.

I would guess that each dog had a foot of their own leash. Depending on where we are going, I add a 4 foot long leash, or when we are hiking, I sometimes just let them walk on it without a leash. It helps since Belle will run up to everyone on her own, where as Dora stays with me

Mine looks similar to this but with red.
(I have no idea about this seller, but this is what mine looks like!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Scout-Small-Two...103431646QQcategoryZ20752QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 20 of 32 Posts