Havanese Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and just wanted to say hello.

My name is Jodi, I am the proud owner of Princess Tinkerbell "Prissy", our 4½mo Havanese.

We were searching for the perfect puppy for our family, and it kept pointing back to the Havanese breed. We researched some more, and then found a breeder, and drove 5hrs to pick up Prissy on the day after Thanksgiving (NOT fun for driving, bad choice of days on my part!) and she has been the center of attention at our home since.

I have to say, she has become a bit of an addiction for me in the last month, I go by the pet store wayyyyy to much, and she has learned if we are putting on our shoes, she whines to come out of the crate, or runs to the door.. guess you could say she's getting a bit spoiled.

We are currently crate training her.. it is going ok, more my fault than hers, as I have been very lax the past 2 weeks. This past week, I have been more consistent and firm in taking her out when she is supposed, and we just started putting her food dish up, so she doesn't have constant access, and things are going much better (well, except for today, she had an accident in the house! GRR!)

We have been having a total hit or miss on toys, still not finding ones that she seems to like. We had some problems with food too, and finally got her on Nutro Ultra for puppy, and that is going well, although, it was not my first choice for food.

I am soo thrilled to have found this board!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy and very good choice. They are the greatest. We just picked up our second one yesterday. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Good luck with your new pup!! I pick my third up tomorrow, I cant wait!! I know what you mean about the pet store, I think I spend more on the dogs than the kids these days!! Very bad habit! Dont get too concerned about the toys. My older one loves toys!! any kind, and my little one NEVER plays with toys. She just wants to follow me around & be next to me - I must be her toy!

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,358 Posts
Hi Jodi,

Welcome to the boards. I can totally relate to dogs being an addiction. I love my local, small owner pet stores. We have quite a few around and I visit one every week. My Standards are too big to buy them clothes, so they just get new colors and toys, my little hav is jus a great dressed little dog and he loves his clothes. lol

Enjoy your new puppy,
Jullia

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad you mentioned clothes Juliav~ I've noticed that the outfits we put on her seem to mat her hair.

Is there a better type of clothing to buy? (or a certain material that does good with their hair)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like Laurie says, They love toys. My little one goes nuts with anything that is soft and squeaks when he pounces on it or bites down. I think he is going to get whiplash the way he jerks his head back and forth shaking them around, Then the next thing you know he has grabbed it up in his mouth and takes off running and he will dash back to where he started and start shaking the heck out of it again.:D

Good luck on your new kid. Every day that goes by you will find just how smart and precious this breed is.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,358 Posts
Hi Jodi,

Bugsy only wear clothes when we go outside to the park when it's cold out. I never keep him in his clothes at home. We had given Bugst a puppy cut (or the groomer did), because his first puppy hair was so fine and the new one was coming in nice thick, silky and wavy. He never mats from wearing his clothes though. Do you keep your puppy dressed up all the time?

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Even though I keep mine at a puppy cut as well, I find that the clothes to dreate matts. I love to dress them for special occassions - they were just given Polo Cashmere sweaters from a friend for Xmas - Dont know when they will ever wear them!!! I have coats for them for when they go outside, although a sweater underneath might be a good idea to keep the ice pellets off.

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Hi Jodi,

Welcome to the forum. You will be so happy with your new puppy and with your decision to go with a Havanese. They are quite addicting and I would love to be getting another myself. We have a 3 dog limit in my town, so I do have room for 1 more!
I really wanted the Hello Kitty pink cashmere sweater for one of my fur babies for Christmas, but Santa said he didn't think a dog should be wearing a sweater with a kitty on it, go figure.

Beverly

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
I find that first Dora hates clothes as she is always warm <BG> The only time I use them is for long walks in the winter snow. But my maltese loves them as she is always cold. I don't like leaving them on her when inside. The best ones are the lined ones. I have an adorable coat that is lined with a crushed velvet that doesnt seem to matt her. No sweaters... those are for dogs without coats or if you like matts!

Amanda

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We only dress her up if we're going to be outside for a long period of time.. or if we're going somewhere special.

If I'm taking her with us, and she's going to be in the car for more than 20-30 minutes by herself (rarely, but it has happened a couple of times) than I put her sweater on.

Although, I'm thinking I will be finding her a coat instead, as I don't want to brush her out anymore than necessary.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Hi Jodi,

I'm new here, but wanted to say congrats on getting your baby last Nov.! We picked up our Ricky, a 3 hr. drive from here, mid-Sept. when he was 9 wks. old. I had 2 out-of-town guests here at the time so things were a little 'busy'. lol They did help out a lot with bringing the pup outside though, so that was good! :)

It sounds like Princess is attached to you, more than to the toys you use to play with her - not a problem, mind you, just an observation. I read that if you really put the focus on the toy, get her to look at the toy, way more than at you, she might see that they are also very enjoyable to be around. Ricky can play fetch 'til the cows come home and it tires me out!! lol BUT at least I know he loves his toys!

I got Ricky a red, vinyl winter coat to help keep some of the snow off his fur, but he's only worn it 4 or 5 times. We haven't been getting the snow we usually do here in Montreal! NOT complaining! lol I also got him booties to protect from ice and salt from the roads but he's only worn those twice now. The temps aren't cold enough for them, but winter isn't over so...

Have fun with your girl! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts