Havanese Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum Friends!

Below is a modified version of an email I sent to the members of my local training club. If you don't want to read the whole thing, you can just click on the link to the 90-second video then look at the photos. Watch to the end of the video. Before running, I had closed the exit of the course. At the end of the run, the exit was open six inches, and Shama almost escaped. I pulled her back in, and the judge did not nullify our Q!

I thought you might be interested in hearing how things went for Shama and me at the National Havanese Specialty agility trial (near Rockford, Illinois) on August 7.

A little bit of background . . . We'd previously attended two Teacup Dog Agility Association trials, two CPE trials, and two AKC trials, all with the goal of attending the National Havanese Speciality since it was within driving distance and since it was taking place in the summer (my husband and I are both teachers, and the 2017 trial was in North Carolina in September, so we didn't know what the future would hold). At our six trials prior to yesterday, we'd Qed a total of two times (out of 25 times or so in the ring), once at Teacup and once at CPE.

We had fun at the Nationals trial. Shama seemed a lot more relaxed around "her people" than she does around bigger dogs at trials. The trial was 90% Havanese and 10% other toy breeds. I was even able to have Shama on my lap watching the action without her barking!

We ran T2B just as a warm-up. She did seven obstacles, including A-frame and teeter, before faltering at tunnel then sniffing around and losing interest in me. I was happy with the seven obstacles. Here's the link, but you only need to watch the first seven obstacles. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DSHZvHmOuofDSt7Ebwfi3r5DCwZnMDRe

Then, in Standard, after a very slow and shaky start, Shama completed the entire course, and we got our first AKC Q! I couldn't believe it! (Watch to the end of the video (link below). Before running, I had closed the exit of the course. At the end of the run, the exit was open six inches, and Shama almost escaped. I pulled her back in, and the judge did not nullify our Q!)

Later, I found out that only two dogs in our class (Novice A = beginner dog and beginner handler) had Qed and that Shama had actually taken first place!

Later, Shama refused to jump in her JWW run. I coaxed her, but her refusals had already cost us the Q. Then she took a (tiny!) dump on the course. I had always worried about that happening, but it turned out to not be that big of a deal. Now I don't have to worry about that happening (for the first time) anymore! (She had had multiple opportunities to go number two earlier in the day, but luck had made it happen during JWW. Better than during Standard!)

The most exciting moment of the day was at the end when they awarded us our ribbons and we found out that we'd gotten not only first place in our
Standard run, but also first Havanese. I hadn't realized that by opening this trial up to other toy breeds, they'd be introducing new awards, first Havanese in each class. So, we had not only the highest score in our class, beating out a Pomeranian, but we had the highest score among the Havanese in our class. It was fun to receive those big ribbons - one really big, and one even bigger!

Here's a link to the video of Shama's first Q in AKC:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EWkX-MUoVDj0pvDGVI_gfaRduaTjeyhe/view?usp=sharing

Below are some photos. More photos of the Havanese who were at the trial can be found in KarMar's thread at the following link:

https://www.havaneseforum.com/17-sp...wosomes-national-specialty-3.html#post1417534

It really was a thrill to finally get our first Q in AKC and especially while at Nationals. Thank you, especially KarMar, for all your encouragement.

Annie and Shama

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
you two did great and Shama is sitting so pretty in front of her ribbons. I laughed out loud at the really long tube thingy wondering how you would teach a dog to go in one end and come out the other.

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Yay for both of you!!! She definitely looked like she gained confidence as you went along. Can’t ask for more! And it IS fun to be able to show at your breed national! I’m so happy for both of you!

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
Later, I found out that only two dogs in our class (Novice A = beginner dog and beginner handler) had Qed and that Shama had actually taken first place!
Congratulations to both of you, well done! I would like to get involved in this kind of sport but I don't think he can do this kind of competition. He is not very fast, he does not have the mental acumen, he is rather uncoordinated, and he is very clumsy!

OH! I am not talking about Ricky Ricardo, I am talking about Popi ! :p

Ricky's Popi

·
Registered
34 Posts
I grinned all the way through the video. While I am still puppyless -- but a mommy-in-waiting -- I have been thinking that I want to give agility a try. I looked for several agility facilities in my area . . . when I should have been sleeping. Then I stumbled on this! Yay! Feels like confirmation.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
I grinned all the way through the video. While I am still puppyless -- but a mommy-in-waiting -- I have been thinking that I want to give agility a try. I looked for several agility facilities in my area . . . when I should have been sleeping. Then I stumbled on this! Yay! Feels like confirmation.
I have to admit, that I was waffling between two different breeds, Havanese and Coton, before I got Kodi, my first Havanese. I happened across this little girl, Bella, in Canada, who was starting her meteoric career in Agility. She ended up being, I believe, the second or third place dog in her height class in Canada several years in a row! (Not just among Havanese, but ALL DOGS!) I fell in love with her, and that clinched it! I was getting a Havanese!

The rest is history! While Kodi didn’t make it to the top ranks in agility, (I’m not as young, agile, or talented as Angela is!!! LOL!) He DID make it to the VERY top of one of our chosen sports! And also was working at Utility level in obedience (the highest level of formal obedience) before I had to retire him due to an injury unrelated to sports. ❤

Bella passed away a couple of years ago… I think she was 17 when she passed, and many friends mourned her passing. She was a very special little girl. Well after she retired, Angela left agility equipment out in the yard for her, and even though she was mostly blind and deaf, she knew where they were, and she would go do them independently, “just for fun” ❤

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have to admit, that I was waffling between two different breeds, Havanese and Coton, before I got Kodi, my first Havanese. I happened across this little girl, Bella, in Canada, who was starting her meteoric career in Agility. She ended up being, I believe, the second or third place dog in her height class in Canada several years in a row! (Not just among Havanese, but ALL DOGS!) I fell in love with her, and that clinched it! I was getting a Havanese!

The rest is history! While Kodi didn’t make it to the top ranks in agility, (I’m not as young, agile, or talented as Angela is!!! LOL!) He DID make it to the VERY top of one of our chosen sports! And also was working at Utility level in obedience (the highest level of formal obedience) before I had to retire him due to an injury unrelated to sports. ❤

Bella passed away a couple of years ago… I think she was 17 when she passed, and many friends mourned her passing. She was a very special little girl. Well after she retired, Angela left agility equipment out in the yard for her, and even though she was mostly blind and deaf, she knew where they were, and she would go do them independently, “just for fun” ❤
Thank you for sharing this. What an emotional rollercoasting. As I watched, I couldn't help but smile, especially when Bella stopped as if to say, "Keep going?" I am gobbling up everything I can. Bella's passing is a sad part of the story but imaging her continuing to do what she apparently loved was very heartwarming. :)

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Thank you for sharing this. What an emotional rollercoasting. As I watched, I couldn't help but smile, especially when Bella stopped as if to say, "Keep going?" I am gobbling up everything I can. Bella's passing is a sad part of the story but imaging her continuing to do what she apparently loved was very heartwarming. :)
Very often, those “pauses” on the contact obstacles are trained by the handlers in the case of dogs that tend to Leap past the contact zones, as that is an immediate NQ on course. I don’t remember if that’s the way Angela trained Bella or not, but it LOOKS like that might be what was going on, since it was only on those obstacles that it happened.

Yes, she is gone, but she lived a long, happy life! ❤

1 - 8 of 8 Posts