Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MacGyver's Mom
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male Havanese who is nearly a year old. In our contract we agreed to keep him intact until 18 months for breeding purposes. He is now 10 months old and is 12 1/2 inches, which I think is above thestandard. Additionally, he has a right leg deformity (the ulna has stopped growing but the radius continued, causing a bowing). Both our vet and the orthopedist recommended neutering because of thepossibility that the leg problem is congenital, so we were planning to have this done when he has surgery for his leg. However, the breeder wants us to collect him to use him for breeding. Our vet says this is unethical and refuses to do it. We're not sure what to do, and I was wondering what others think about this.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
WOW - I am curious on the response for that dilema....I agree with the vet - unethical to breed him...

Catherine

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
I'm not a breeder, but, I would side with the Vet, Read the fine print of your contract, does it say anything about being "show quality". That may give you an out:confused:

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,359 Posts
I am not a breeder either :), but I am with the vet and other posters, totally unethical. Re-read your contract and fine print, this dog should not be bred.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
I saw this on that mailing list today too and it just gets me so angry that there are breeders who just don't care enough to say 'no, this one can't be bred' ! :mad: I mean, much better to cut your 'losses' and not take the chance in producing pups with potential problems than making a few bucks!! Sheesh!!

Good luck and please keep us posted!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I agree with the vet 100% and I am not a breeder. If this is a congenital problem, how many other puppies will they produce with similar problems? Does the breeder know about the problem with your puppy and still wants to breed it? I think that breeder's name should be posted so people know to stay away from their puppies!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Tom,
I disagree with this approach. The owner should write to HCA not a member who is not involved. I know you are trying to help, but it really needs to come from the owner. That is what HCA wants.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Does anyone know mhow long it takes to get a CERF certificate? I sent in the paperwork 2 weeks ago and haven't received anything yet. Am I just being impatient?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Thanks Kathy. I guess we all get a little anxious, like expectant mothers :D
I'll be more patient now.

·
Groomer
380 Posts
I am a vet tech and I have a couple of litters. I would have your vet write a letter for you to give to he breeder. I can't imagin that would not work...good luck. I do agree that your pup should not be used as a stud.

·
MacGyver's Mom
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, EMarie. Our breeder did give us permission to neuter, and everything has worked out fine.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Thanks, EMarie. Our breeder did give us permission to neuter, and everything has worked out fine.
That IS good news, boo! Glad to hear things worked out. Yes, the breeder made the right decision and I admire that. :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Maybe the breeder read all our posts and got scared :D Glad everything turned out well. Thanks to the breeder for seeing the light.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I have a question about getting a second havanese. Most likely, if my hubby is keen on it, I will get a second hav to keep Oreo company. And I will most likely go to my breeder first. Now I am wondering how breeders will match a the famiy's personalities and the existing dogs personality to the pup? Oreo was the omega of his litter, and now that he is adjusting from the hormone surge, he is falling right back into his normal submissive nature. If we have a shy and submissive dog already, what would a breeder normally select under these circumstances? For the next pup, I am thinking I would like a pup that is not too shy to balance Oreo out a little because I am not sure another shy Hav would help Oreo either. Just some thoughts rolling around in my head - could someone please humour me? ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts