Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k..... I've been offered a Hav pup to add to our household. We have Ricky, as most of you already know, who is 7 1/2 mths. This new pup is 7 mths. old, born 2 weeks after Ricky was.

Hubby was away all week in Orlando, on business so I only got a chance to talk to him about it a couple of hrs. ago. Tonight, we'll be discussing it at length.

I had a lot of questions answered by the owner and am sure this little guy would be a perfect match for our family. My concern is my health and that's why I thought I'd ask members here what they would do.

As much as I know it would "help" having a 2nd dog, allowing Ricky to actually play without me so much during the day when everyone's out of the house exc. me, I also realize that there still is more work with every new pet that comes in. Yes, it's double the costs in everything too.... so that is something we need to think about.

I have a herniated disk in my lower back and sciatica so painful that w/o my meds. I'd be living a nightmare. As it is, I've spent the past two months in extreme pain with only this past week being o.k. and mostly tolerable - new meds are finally kicking in. In the meantime, I keep going to physio and chiro and do some breathing excercises at home. I am thinking it's nuts to want another pet when I'm not sure about how my days are going to be! :rolleyes:

On the other hand, Ricky is so bored some days that he's becoming a bit of a 'pest'. I know he is an active one, he loves to run around and goes in and out on the back deck at least 30x/day. He'd love to go for walks all day long, but I can't do that, so I play fetch with him ad infinitum and get him to run up and down stairs, down hallways and the like so he gets some exercise. It would help ME having a 2nd puppy, I think, as it would help keep Ricky busy.

For those of you that have more than one - and I KNOW you all think it's really great to have more than one - I would REALLY like to know the truth about the amt. of work involved. Is it unrealistic for me to think I can do this?

BTW, the other puppy, is sooooooo cute! heeeheee ;)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My point EXACTLY !!! It just wouldn't do...... nope, not at all..... ;)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I don't have 2 but I would like to make one point.....I had horrible back problems for 2 years - put off surgery - did the epiderals blah blah...the only thing to get my life back was Yoga - I truly think it saved me - just thought you would like to know....I had to start out slow - but it was amazing after a few months the diff....I could actually sit without pain..

Thoughts are with you,

Olliesmom

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Marj,
I have ulcerative colitis wich has been very active for about 6 mos. So when hubby got me Hav #2, I didn't know if I should hug him or shoot him. I was just too tired all the time and not eating, just really drained physically. But now I think it actually helped somewhat, because Kodi had someone to play with, besides me. It took alot of the demand off me. If you can get past the potty training, and hopefully the new puppy is trained, then it should be a snap.

I also have 3 cats, I am a hobby orchid grower, and own my own business, so I am pretty busy. But I wouldn't trade these Havs for anything. I already asked hubyy when we can get a 3rd :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
:) Hi
I agree with Tom . it might do you some good because when you laugh and smile . Trust me on this you will as soon as you see them together - it will increase your endorphins and help with the pain .
There is more work - no doubt about it but if you have to get out a dish for one why not one for two .
I have only had Ahnold for a little over a week and he is older so we are still in a period of adjustment . These dogs are younger and I bet they bond to each other immediately .

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Marj, As you all know, I have 3 Havanese all within 4 years of each other. They were the best thing I ever did?? I do not have the back issues but when Logan came to us Jan 1st this year (at 9 weeks old) I was recovering from bunion surgery in December. I am still in a boot but I would not trade the extra work for anything. The only thing I would recommend for you is that the new dog is potty trained. I am not sure that is something you want to be doing when in such pain. The 2nd pup will certainly keep Ricky busy so you are not up and down as much with him. They will wear each other out so they sleep more, give you more time to rest.
But only you and your hubby can decide. Yes it would be double vet bills, double grooming bills, double food bills. But well worth it for us!!! Let us all know!:D

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Marj,
I don't have 2 havanese,but I do have 1 and a sheltie and a cat.My husband didn't want a second dog,but it has been really nice.I think you and your husband need to agree(it's easier,trust me).I find it not much different then having 1 dog,except for the grooming and the "in and out"of the house.They are now starting to go at the same time though now.Best of luck!:D
Julie
Remember twice the love too!:p

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
I think it would be dangerous for you. All the laughing might do more damage.
ROTFLOL!!! Where is a rolling smiley face when you need one.

I think your Hav and you are going to love having another Hav to play with. I have three dogs all young and they are a blast to watch. They really entertain each other.

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Hi Marj,
I think if you feel comfortable with the cost of a second dog, the pay off in a sibling would be tremendous for you all. If the housetraining isn't an issue, or once it isn't, I don't think the work will amount to much more at all.
I have lupus and don't always have the energy or strength to play with Cooper the way he wants to play, but with Lily around, they can play, play, play! I wish I could get a third.
Just my opinion, but I think if you can do it financially, you won't be sorry getting a second Hav :)

Beverly

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Just my 2 cents. Do what feels right for your family. I would love to have a second Hav. This is the first time I have only had one dog. I think Sam would benefit having a friend. The cats don't like the way he plays. LOL Good luck, I'm sure you will do the right thing for your family.:)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow - lots of great feedback! Thank you! :)

I haven't had a chance to discuss everything with hubby yet, but when I mentioned the possiblity, he said "I'm not saying 'no' " ! So..... tomorrow we plan on putting it all out on the table to see if it's a good choice for us. At this point, I'm going to be trying to convince him because I do agree with you all saying just how much happier it will make us (me). I think Ricky would have a blast with another pup, esp. another male the same age! Seeing how bored he was today, yet again, has convinced me of that.

BTW, yes, he's already house-trained which is a HUGE plus cuz I just can't imagine starting again with a teeny tiny baby. It took a lot out of me doing it with Ricky, but the family all pitched in and by 6 mths., he was completely potty trained. IF we get this little boy, I'm fully expecting some accidents now and then until he's made the adjustment but that's fine. I am very o.k. with that.

I can't wait to see what Ralph says now! Maybe I should go wake him up so we can chat!! :p Nah, I'll be good.... we'll wait until tomorrow. :)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beverly and Debbie.... looks like we're all on here at the same time! lol

Thanks for your input. :)

I want to be the type of person that is in good enough shape to have another dog, so I'm focusing on that to get me through this rough patch. It's been an ongoing thing for almost two years now with lots of downs, but some ups. We made the decision to get Ricky because I was finally doing very well and felt able to raise a pup. It worked just fine and though these past two months have been challenging, I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

I think not having to constantly think about Ricky's activities all day long, though he really is a great pup and not a huge problem, will be a relief to me and well worth making the adjustment and the extra expenses. At least, that's MY take on it! :)

Thank you, Olliesmom, for your advice! I'm doing some Pilates with my physio at my appts. with her... very slowly starting to and it seems to help.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Marj, Just so you know, when the hubby says "well I'm not saying no.." it means YES!! Mine strung me a long for my last two, saying that for about 2 weeks until he said yes. I knew he was going to say yes, but he had to dance his little dance, and make it look like it was his big idea. Good luck & keep us updated.
Laurie

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Marj, I know what you mean about the sciatica thing. In 1998, I was hit by a car while crossing the street. One of the lingering problems is L4 and L5 discs. I get sciatica down both legs, but the right one is the worst. Pilates is a great help, because every movement helps to strengthen the core muscles. Hope you are doing better! :)

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Marj, last night I was going to write and play devils advocate...but my computer froze up before I could post-- and today I read that the new pup is already house-trained. which is a definite plus. Having just added a 2nd pup I can say Cash has made Jasper a totally new dog. They romp and roll and play all day long. And in between the constant keeping an eye on Cash to "do his Biz" in the right place- I see glimmers or how, once he is older this will actually make it easier and better for all of us.

But I do have to say-- it is two dogs to feed (and make sure they are eating and not each others) two dogs to take to the vet- two dogs to groom- two dogs to grab things they shouldn't have out of their mouths- two dogs to walk, to get in the car. Two crates in the bedroom (if you let them sleep with you) And it does feel like two occupy at lot more time right now. But Cash is still a little boy.

But all that being said. They are a blast. And Jasper is definetly happier having a pal.

My husband had disk and sciatic problems 2 years ago and it really laid him up-- what finallyworked for him was accupunture (and he was not a believer) it was his last straw. I went with him and it felt like voodoo-- but this japanese woman said to him - "you will feel 20% better after this session- it will take 5 sessions" he woke up the the next morning and he said you know it may be 25% better. went 5 times and was pretty much better. He get's a twinge now and then and if it get's bad enough he goes back to her.
May be worth a try Marj.

Good luck on your new boy.... I agree, your hubby would have said NO.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I have just had Ahnold for a little over a week do I am no expert but my vet recommended a second dog for Cosmo and I feel she was right on .
Cosmo definetly relaxed once he met someone of his own kind who spoke the same language and walked the walk . We have no problem with car sickness now.
They are so much fun especially when they can run full out and just be pals ..
As to feeding I fed one on one side of the room the other gets fed on the other side . I watch them and so far they are so busy eating they do not try to intrude and have a taste of the other guys ..
Once they are done I pick up the food bowls so there are No fights as my Mom used to say . Water is available at all times .
I also want to say - all good advice on the back issue as well . My husband has a bad back - he does 15 minutes of gentle stretching every morning just to get on with his day .
Everything recommended here he has done - he does Pilates with the reformer . He does it on his own now but he had a trainer and physio before this . He had acupuuncture also and physio. He has also had the Tenza machinne - it works for some people for others not so much .
It all depends one the etiliogy or cause - muscular , injury arthritis ,compressed discs , debris . Not to mention referred pain .
He also says walking is the best -once you are over the acute stage .
I know everyones case is different so you have to do with what works best for you .
A friend of ours had surgery and she had bone spurs removed . Before she made the decision she was on serious drugs and we were all worried about her . Good news is that she found the right Doctor and he did a great job and she is now off the drugs .. it has been a slow recovery but she is coming back and she is more like her old self ..
As to your husband he sounds like a great guy .. it was nice you let him have a sleep ..
Good luck and keep positive thoughts .. Hopefully you will feel better soon ..
:)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OMG !!!! It's a big YES from hubby !!!! I'm sooooooooooo excited!!!!! :D :D :D

I just wrote the owner and we'll be ironing out the details soon. We probably won't be able to pick him up for another 3 weeks. They are a good 4 hr. drive from us and Ralph has been so busy with work, as well as having to go out of town yet again soon.

I want to thank EVERYONE for all of your input as it made me feel really good about this decision, more sure. It's funny... Ralph didn't even flinch! He said "sure, I'm all for it" just like that. Imagine that! :eek: :D

Once she replies and confirms that we'll be doing this, I'll put up some pics of him.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
:) :) Congratulations Marj, How exciting for you. :) :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Oh Marj that is wonderful!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) I am so happy for you. Make sure you keep us posted on the new little one. I think it is official. You have the potato chip syndrome....... Just can't have one. Best wishes. LOL

1 - 20 of 52 Posts