Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here I am.
About a month ago or so, I posted a picture of an "owie" on Tillie's chest, wondering what it could be. It ended up healing up and we just thought it was a scratch or something. We found 3 more on her since then, no biggie, kind of weird, but no cause for alarm. WELL, when I gave her her bath the other day, I found so many, especially behind her left ear, like a FOREST of these weird owies, scabbed over and nasty looking... then yesterday when I was giving her her top knot I found a bunch more on the TOP of her head.
That was IT, I was taking her to the vet. Despite my DH not wanting to spend the money and saying she will be fine, give it time, etc ...

Anywho, we just got back from the vet and he said it does, in fact seem to be allergies. He scrapped one of the bigger owies on her ear, poor thing, he had to get all the way down to the blood.... I was practically in tears. THEN He had to SHAVE (gulp) part of her neck to draw blood to do allergy testing (which my DH had a FIT over when I told him how much it was! ~ oh well, too late! LOL). We won't know the results for 7-10 days, but for now she is on anti-biotics to help clear up the owies. He said they are basically like pimples on a teenager. Her body pushing out the stuff she is allergic too. And he found several more patches of them upon exam, he thinks she could easily have 100 or MORE!!?
I feel like a failure. I thought Taste of the Wild was a good food? I worry about the results. He did tell me about raw feeding and was definitly pushing me in that direction, BUT I don't know if my husband will be on board with that. Tillie has always done SO good on her food, never picky, great poops.. I fear we are in for a wild ride now. And here I thought the hardest time (puppyhood) was behind us! :brick:

I guess I just needed to vent and to hear that everything is going to be okay. it WILL be okay, right? ;) Tillie seems no worse for the wear and is such a little trouper. I am very anxious for the results and am not quite sure how to feed her between now and then. Should I just stick with the TOW until we know for sure what she is allergic too? Should I make some chicken/carrots stuff for her? Sigh.....
oh and just to be clear, DH DOES love Tillie to peices and thinks she is a wonderful dog, BUT he does NOT like to spend $$, heck we rarely even take our HUMAN kids to the Dr, unless they are DYING (or have an ear infection.) LOL
SO, there's our story.
What has YOUR experience been with allergies? How do you feed your Hav??

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts
Feel bad for you Tammy. Allergies are a pain. Wait to see if it is a food thing before experimenting. Patience is a virtue with these things. But they can be resolved. So think on the bright side. Let us know what you find out. If it's food , I would really suggest Sabine to weed it out. She is very reasonable. Wait and see. Hugs and woofs Dave and Molly.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's what I was thinking! The vet wanted to start her on Primal chicken NOW and I was like ... uhhhhh, what if she is ALLERGIC to chicken!? Jeez...
Once we get the blood work and know what she is allergic too, won't it be simple after that? (LOL i KNOW I live in a fantasy world, don't I?) Gosh, never thought WE'D be in this position.... sigh...

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts
no it's not always that simple. Wait and see what comes up. Sabine never recommends vet foods. She's fixed many dogs that vets have no luck with.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sigh. thanks. Wait we will do!
Also, the Vet is actually a holistic, "natural" vet and has all the raw feeding brands and what not I read about here on the forum! and freezer and freezer full of raw meat ( gross! LOL) So, he isn't a "put them on Iams" vet for SURE! He was talking to me about feeding her PRIMAL raw.

·
Teresita
1,534 Posts
Poor Tillie. I am sorry she is having those 'owies'. Ache is dealing with allergies too. She is just scratching like crazy. I had a consult with Sabine and we changed her food to a limited ingredient lamb kibble. (Simple Solutions by Wellpet) There has been little improvement but we need to wait more time. Yes, patience is needed with these issues. I think you should wait for results before making changes. (Maybe her allergies are not food related.) I started reading about raw diet, which, I think ,will be the next suggestion Sabine is going to make. I am not into raw bones but I can consider frozen raw medallions. I was looking at the website of Primal Raw or Nature Variety. They have a lot of information for 'beginners'. Keep us posted. Good luck.

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts
sigh. thanks. Wait we will do!
Also, the Vet is actually a holistic, "natural" vet and has all the raw feeding brands and what not I read about here on the forum! and freezer and freezer full of raw meat ( gross! LOL) So, he isn't a "put them on Iams" vet for SURE! He was talking to me about feeding her PRIMAL raw.
not sure why he's certain its' food already. She just has no confidence in vets' generally. They really don't study nutrition.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much, glad to know I am not alone in this!!
I'm gonna go check out the Primal Raw wesite! never thought of that! That was what the vet was already thinking of... my worry is, HOW can we travel or have someone else watch her if we go on vacation if she is on raw!??
Tillie doesn't itch much, but dang, she has those owies EVERYWHERE, i am glad I took her in and got this process started!! I don't know how she has been so sweet and not even seems to be bothered by all the scabs and ick!

·
Elissa's and Ceylon's Mom
965 Posts
Sorry you and Tillie are having to go through this!

Hopefully the tests will give you an idea of where to go from here to resolve this. I don't know anything about nutrition but I would be inclined to agree with other people's opinions to wait to hear back before you change anything.

((hugs))

·
Debbie B.
501 Posts
Hugs, Tillie. Poor baby.

Did you see the post above about the new Natures Variety kibble for dogs with allergies? It would be cheaper than Raw. Might be a good option for you.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you Debbie! (I just sent you an e-mail!!)
I will look into that kibble when I get the results of the allergy testing back!
I just want to do what is best for Tillie!!

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts
Hugs, Tillie. Poor baby.

Did you see the post above about the new Natures Variety kibble for dogs with allergies? It would be cheaper than Raw. Might be a good option for you.
Tammy still has to find out what Tilley's allergic to. If it's not the main proteins source, it might not be so simple.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Yes, that's what I was thinking! The vet wanted to start her on Primal chicken NOW and I was like ... uhhhhh, what if she is ALLERGIC to chicken!? Jeez...
Once we get the blood work and know what she is allergic too, won't it be simple after that? (LOL i KNOW I live in a fantasy world, don't I?) Gosh, never thought WE'D be in this position.... sigh...
What meat base is the one you are feeding now?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
What meat base is the one you are feeding now?
How long have you been feeding her that? When Maddie had skin issues our vet started one thing at a time. I know I asked you before but I can't remember did this start after front line?

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
her breeder started her on it when she was a baby.
Tillie's had about 3 doses of Frontline starting in January...
I decided to go ahead and do the allergy testing so that I didn't hop her around from one food to another thus creating food issues (picky-ness, etc).
When we get the results we'll go from there.
It is possible that has nothing to do with food and is environmental, in that case, not sure WHAT we'll do. So I am praying it IS food based allergies...

·
Metrowest, MA
26,647 Posts
Hi Tammy, I'd hold off on changing her food until you know what she's allergic to also. Kodi has had the same sort of thing happen twice now, both times exactly at the same time of year. In both cases, the vet treated him with antibiotics, and it cleared up completely. After it happened the second time, he told me he thinks it is probably an environmentally allergy, something that blooms in the early fall. He said that we should just continue to watch for it, as it may come back at the same time every year.

Kodi's case, it certainly ISN'T food related, because he's been on the same food all along.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very interesting, thank you Karen!! Good to know that this has happened to another Hav!!
I asked the vet about the fact that her food hasn't changed at all and he said that sometimes it takes awhile to build up in thier system.?
Hope I didn't just get duped into unnecesary blood work! I guess it's good to rule it out though.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
This could be out in left field but could it be the shampoo you're using on her, or anything topical?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts