Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Casper is scheduled to be neutered on Thursday. Can anyone tell me if it changes them (besides the obvious). I am worried it will change his beautiful spirit and playfulness. Hope to hear some positive feedback. Thanks, Nancy

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Hi Nancy, Casper will still have a beautiful spirit. Be prepared for him being miserable for the first few days. Jasper could barely lift his head, and the elizabethan collar made him really miserable. he would walk into furniture and then just stop in his tracks and let his head hang down to the ground and just stand there. I slept with him on the couch the first night- and he just whimpered the whole night. I felt like the meanest mommy in the world. The next day, I went out and got him a new collar called the bite not collar that wraps around the neck (like a human cervical collar) and he was much better. They hate the elizabethan collars.

http://www.bitenot.com/

But after the initial shock- he will be back to normal, in fact you will have to keep him from palying to hard until he heals.

we need to see pictures of your Casper.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kodi was neutered last May and it didn't change him one bit. H is still the sweetest boy who loves to run and play with Shelby. I was lucky (or Kodi was), because he didn't seem to notice that anything was different. He was sent home with a collar, but he didn't need it. Also, the vet gave me pain meds, but he didn't need those either.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
On the neutering topic. Oreo lifted his leg, slightly, the other night when he peed outside. He is now sniffing intently now, and for the first time, in a LONG time, he TRIED to hump my foot. I pinned him quickly, and then he was so calm afterward and lay nicely beside me. I am noticing some changes in him, although it could simply be he is hitting the "pre-teen" stage too. He is scheduled to get neutered March 30th. At least we can get him BEFORE he starts his humpfests and the kids start asking me what he is doing. :D

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Nancy:

Neutered when they are still puppies, they never really "mature" so they stay puppish forever. But I am learning these little guys stay "silly clowns" no matter what.:) One thing I love :)

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
March 30th is coming up real soon. I sincerely hope all goes well. Since his rabies shot incident, the vet will take more precautions. I am trying not to get all worked up for Oreo's sake. I am a bit nervous, but if I think all will go well, then at least Oreo will be at ease. I am going to try to take him out very early in the morning for a really long and tiring walk, so he is all mellow when he goes in. Hey, I just might be all mellow too ;)

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Poor Oreo, poor Casper (both Caspers) They will all be just fine. They say it makes them happier-- they don't have to worry about all those hormonal urges.

the walk before sounds like a good idea for both the puppy and mom. I'll have to remember that for Cash. How old is Oreo and Casper and Casper?

we neutered Jasper at 6 months- a lot of people say between 5 and 6 months? what are your thoughts?

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
O.k... so 21 weeks is ...... 5 months! Got it! :rolleyes: lol Oreo will do just fine, don't worry. Ricky went in at 6 mths. and a week and though he was slow and groggy that evening, he was back to himself the very next morning. It was too funny. He ran, played, ran some more. Yeah, like TRY to keep him calm the vet says. Sure! He doesn't know the Havs like we do! lol :rolleyes:

I also had to get the collar for Ricky, after 3 days and yes, it's the saddest thing, but they aren't as bad off as we feel they are. After only 3 days, it was off almost all the time and he did great.

So Max is in today, is he? Poor, wee thing.... I'm sure he'll love to snuggle up once he's back home with you.

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
Hi Missy,
My Casper is 6 months old now, I believe the other Casper is also 6 months old. I have been putting off getting Casper neutered, but I think it is time.
I think on another thread Tom King said something about 7 - 8 months, probably want to recheck that thread to be sure.

·
Karen
3,067 Posts
Brady was 6 months when we had him neutered. We really struggled with it (or at least my husband did). Brady never skipped a beat. The day of the surgery, he was a little quiet. The next day, he was his usual self. I hate to admit this, but I knew he was fine when he starting humping my poor cat the day after the surgery. (By the way, I did get a great picture of this.) He only tries this on the cats, still does, but not on people. Try not to worry too much. I know that is easier said than done, but they should be happier dogs in the long run.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,359 Posts
I had Bugsy neutered at 6 1/2 months and so far it didn't change his wonderful personality a little bit (he is 9 months tomorrow). As far as lifting his leg, Bugsy has been successfully doing it since 4 months. I guess he learned by example for him older brother Romeo. ;)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I just went through neutering with the boys ...
Cosmo is the youngest but he went first . He was a little over 8 months . He did very well . I put traumeel in his food and he had minimal swelling and pain . As to his personality I think it is better - he seems calmer except when Ahnold borrows a chewie ..
Ahnold went second - he did very well with the surgery and post operatively too . He seemed to have a little more pain and discomfort than Cosmo
AS to temperment Cosmo seems to be calmer and less anxious , but that could be because he has his companion Ahnold .
Ahnold is fine - still very sweet and still running well and doing his leaps and they love to run like heck . He still loves to jump on your lap for a nice cuddle .. Cosmo likes a quick cuddle just to touch base and then he is done ..
His mobility is good as well..
They both seem to be fine -:) back to normal and both still have lots of energy

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Cosmosmom, that is great to hear :) Its also reassuring too. I guess it all depends on how we react. If we are upset then I think they feel there is something to be upset about.... sigh, my problem is trying to RELAX about it all. Well, I still have a bit over a week, so I will try to keep busy and keep it out of my mind ;)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It is Ok to be nervous I was nervous too . I even went to the Vet with a book so I could be sure they used the right anesthetic . I know they think I am a little over the top but these guys are my family ..
She has two dogs of her own so she understands ..

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Ohhh.....he looks sort of pitiful! I know those collars are a must cause mine had to wear one too but they look so sad. :( They flash those big eyes at you like "why are you doing this to me?":confused: :eek: Vicki

1 - 20 of 64 Posts