Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone waited a while before neutering their male? I'm wondering because the new pup we'll be picking up at the end of the month is 7 mths. old now, so will be at least 8 mths. old before we get the date for his surgery.

His present owner has told me that he marked once or twice so I'm hoping it won't be a huge problem once he's with us, but also wondering if the surgery will curtail his marking. Ricky has never marked anywhere yet.... wonder if he'll start marking too! :eek: :confused:

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks! :)

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Hi Marj: When I had my male German Shepherd, it was suggested at that time (Earily 80's) to wait until a pup was between 7 - 9 months before neutering. That was the norm then. You may have some marking between the two of them. You may have to go back to square one with both dogs, to stop any marking before it starts. I once had a Shepherd (neutered at 18 months) and a lab not neutered. They drove me nuts. One would come in from outside and pee on the side of the couch the next one would pee in the same place. But as long as I stopped the first one it was ok. I would distracted them when they came in for a few minutes. Sit stays on mats worked. After that they were fine. Good luck, since your boys are still puppies I'm sure you will do better.:)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, we're definitely leaving the gates up in the kitchen/dining area until we get back to a routine with the two pups. I usually have the gates opened to part of the rest of the house for Ricky, not all day, but when someone's around to keep tabs on him. He loves to sleep on the couch next to my computer desk here.

For a little bit, we'll keep them more contained to see just how they behave and to keep the new pup's pee accidents to a minimum. I'm glad we're getting Hector on a Friday as it will allow us all to be involved over the weekend with everyone home. I did find out that my nephew's 5th b'day party will be the day after we pick up the pup so....... we've decided it's best for us to bring both dogs than to leave them home alone after having only just met. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

Thanks Debbie!

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Yes, I just had a male neutered that was almost two years old (20 months). I think the recovery probably took a little longer than it would for a young puppy, but after wearing a cone a few days, he bounced right back.

As for marking, be firm and let him know that is not allowed. I wouldn't even allow my males to mark when we walk around the neighborhood. They had two bushes that they could mark in our front yard, but that was it. I detest dogs urinating and marking at every whim.

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
When is the right time to neutered a puppy? And what is the procedure; does there need to be blood work done, first?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Ollie was nuetered at 5.5 months....it was a breeze - no cone - no stitches to remove and he was bouncing around too much that nite!!

he has never marked cause we did it so young....was so simple....

Olliemom

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,363 Posts
We had Bugsy neutered at 6.5 or 7 months and had no problem with him marking in the house. All my previous male dogs were neutered much later. Romeo (my cream poodle) was neutered at 18 months and a shepherd I had before him was not neutered until he was 3 years old. Neither one ever marked in the house, not once. I have no idea why some dogs mark and some don't. Maybe because we never had any intact females at the house.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Speaking of neutering, my vet is telling me that he likes to wait a little on toy dogs, about six months. He says that because of tooth retention he prefers to wait. I would like to avoid the marking urge, and for the time being Oreo does not lift a leg... YET. So I am wondering what you know about teeth and retention. Did anyone ever have to get them pulled? If yes at what age? In my breeders contract it says I have to have him neutered in or before April of this year. Have any of you found it necessary to have your havs teeth pulled when they got neutered?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kodi was neutered at 6.5 mos and the only place he marks is if I take him to the pet store. He doesn't mark in the house, or n anyone elses house. Just the pet store. He does lift he leg to pee. So does Shelby. It is so cute...She squats, but lifts her right hind leg.

We had no teeth pulling either.

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
Dusty had three teeth pulled when she was 5 months, according to her vet records, but that was before she belonged to us. I don't know much more about it. She also only has five upper incisors. One of the reasons her breeder decided not to keep her. We don't mind. None of our kids have "normal" teeth either!:)

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
I have not heard about tooth retention, what is that?

And my dog trainer made me nervous about having him neutered, with the comment about it can be risky, and sometimes dogs are lost during the operation. I never knew that.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
The risk really is minimal these days. If the dog is not going to be used for breeding it is much better off being spayed or neutered. We recommend that puppies be neutered before the hormones start kicking in.

We have two males, retired from breeding, who were neutered at 8 and 5 years. Both had been breeding dogs for several years. It took a few months for the normal intact male hormones to fade but after that they are like any other neutered males. They really lead more peaceful, happy lives after being neutered.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,363 Posts
Lynn,

All the animals I've ever had (and there were planty, currently three dogs and two cats) have been spayed/neutered without any ill effects. It has taken my hubby a while to get with the program about neutering "his" male dogs. He never had a problem with spaying our females. lol I am a firm believer that the only dogs that should be kept intact are the ones that are being show and bred.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I just had Cosmo neutered - he was 8 months old . He was not marking but he was starting the mounting and he had dominance issues . He was neutered two weeks ago . he did very well - no problems with the anesthesia . Yes they did do blood work first .They do a blood panel and one thing they check is liver function .. His stitches were absorbed so we did not have to go back for suture removal .
He did just fine post op full of energy so I would have to crate him so he would rest .. The vet was admant that he tale it easy for 3 - 5 days . The vet suggested he be neutered after he had all his adult tooth for the same reasons said here . Just in case there is a tooth that is retained . O waited a month ;ater just for convenience issues .Cosmo did have a tooth that was retained but it came out on its own .
I had Asta neutered at 1 year . The breeder that i bought Asta from did not require that I neuter him before I brought him home but some do ..
He was not marking either . I still feel I waited too long . My husband was conflicted until the vet said you will lose your dog . He said a bigger intact male woud probably attack him and kill him . That was all I needed to hear . He did not mark but he did have a little stuffed special girlfriend if you catch my drift ..;)
Now Ahnold is next to have his special operaton but the vet said to wait until he has settled in and he is over his move to his new home .

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,363 Posts
Hi
My husband was conflicted until the vet said you will lose your dog . He said a bigger intact male woud probably attack him and kill him . That was all I needed to hear.
I agree with your vet for the most part. :) But it's actually the fixed males that go after the intact ones. I've seen quite a few incidents at the park where fixed males go after the unfixed ones. I always put Romeo on the leash when there is an unfixed male playing off leash, as he also has the tendency to go after them. He is quite an alfa male. The funny thing is that when he was intact he got along great with all the intact males, even pitbulls.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,363 Posts
Hey Rita you got that right!!!
As I mentioned before, we waited too long to fix Romeo, he was 18 months and for a while after we fixed him (like 2 or 3 months) it got worse instead of getting better. He was soooo mad at us, it's like he knew what got taken away and he was not a happy camper. So when we got Bugsy, I knew right away that I wasn't going to wait and fixed him early on. Last thing I would ever want is a little Napoleon on my hands!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts