Havanese Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I’m sure the anesthesia is different with humans and dogs, but I know there are humans that have a similar reaction to Ducky because DD is one of them! She became very chatty and oddly hyper. Later she completely crashed. She doesn’t remember much of those first hours afterwards. She also reacts strangely to dental anesthesia, her nerves are unusually located and she needs a lot more anesthetic. The dentist said it’s because she has red hair. I wonder if similar patterns exist among dogs! DS is an absolute angel coming out of anesthesia. He has very little inhibition due to a brain injury and anesthesia seems to amplify it. He loves everyone and thinks any drink or snack they give him is absolutely amazing. The post op nurses always adore him. The brain is amazing, and it’s amazing how everyone can react slightly differently yet the same medications generally work.

Sundance is very snuggly. Something that has worried me in the past is that he seems to have a smell to him after anesthesia. At first I thought it was being crated at the vet and it bothered me but the facility is very clean. Last time I gave him a bath right away and the next day it came back, although it was morefaint. I have wondered if it’s from his glands, but it’s not that recognizable gland smell so I’m not sure. It seems to sort of emanate from him all over, and it’s very much a strong “dog” smell I don’t normally associate with Havanese.
"Cousin Finley" (scotty) gets really smelly when he's crated - and not because crates are dirty. The vet says that he's just secreting something from his glands because he doesn't like being in his crate.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
"Cousin Finley" (scotty) gets really smelly when he's crated - and not because crates are dirty. The vet says that he's just secreting something from his glands because he doesn't like being in his crate.
I wonder if the smell of what they secrete changes depending on what’s going on. Sundance does occasionally have anal gland problems but the smell is different. However the most logical explanation for a smell after anesthesia is that it’s related to stress. Thankfully he is snuggly for a while and then bounces back quickly.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I wonder if the smell of what they secrete changes depending on what’s going on. Sundance does occasionally have anal gland problems but the smell is different. However the most logical explanation for a smell after anesthesia is that it’s related to stress. Thankfully he is snuggly for a while and then bounces back quickly.
I assume Finley's issue is stress related - since he doesn't like being in his crate. But man does it make him smell!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts