Havanese Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those look very nice. Are they comfortable? I’m not familiar with these at all. My pup wears a soft harness.
Boo has worn them for over 15 years. The ones in the picture are soft leather. However, they also make them out of a neoprene/nylon webbing now. They are one of the first harnesses developed to prevent spinal and trachea injury. I think some dogs find the leather to be chafing. However, Boo has never complained. They come in a great selection of colors and patterns, not typically seen. Boo has about 20 matching harnesses and leads. So,I guess you can say that we are hooked on them.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,473 Posts
Ooohhh! Aren't those snazzy! Tell Boo we want a fashion sho when he's up for it! 💕

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
Depending on how a Buddy Belt fits a particular dog it can restrict shoulder movement. This may be a problem like it was for my yorkie who did lots of walking. There are some old threads discussing how a harness should fit properly. My yorkie wound up with a shoulder injury from wearing a Buddy Belt. However, he walked four miles a day sometimes. In this picture, you can see how the harness hits the top of the shoulder. If a dog does not walk much it may not cause issues.

Dog Dog supply Carnivore Collar Pet supply

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depending on how a Buddy Belt fits a particular dog it can restrict shoulder movement. This may be a problem like it was for my yorkie who did lots of walking. There are some old threads discussing how a harness should fit properly. My yorkie wound up with a shoulder injury from wearing a Buddy Belt. However, he walked four miles a day sometimes. In this picture, you can see how the harness hits the top of the shoulder. If a dog does not walk much it may not cause issues.

View attachment 178478
Sorry to hear that the Buddy Belt was problematic for your Yorkie. However, I suppose every type of harness can be problematic for a specific dog, as body structures vary. My toy poodle always wore a puppia vest harness, as it was more comfortable for him than a Buddy Belt. However, I can say that Boo has walked many miles in a Buddy Belt without sustaining any musculoskeletal injury.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
Sorry to hear that the Buddy Belt was problematic for your Yorkie. However, I suppose every type of harness can be problematic for a specific dog, as body structures vary. My toy poodle always wore a puppia vest harness, as it was more comfortable for him than a Buddy Belt. However, I can say that Boo has walked many miles in a Buddy Belt without sustaining any musculoskeletal injury.
That is definitely true. I did not mean to imply that the Buddy Belt is bad for ALL dogs. It is important to know what to look for with regard to how a harness fits. It did cause problems for my yorkie. Mia seemed fine with it, however my yorkie walked more in one year than many dogs do in a lifetime and he walked much more than Mia. It is sort of like walking in a bad fitting shoe…if you walk many miles per day and it does not fit right it is more likely to cause issues. Key takeaway is for people to know how to evaluate if a harness fits correctly and not assume that a harness that works for another dog will work for theirs. I only bring this up because it caused a huge problem for my yorkie and I wanted to spare others the same grief.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
Just wanted to add that I recent watched a great presentation by Dr. Ava Frick about harnesses. She specializes in rehabilitating dogs from injuries and she sees lots of dogs with damage from harnesses. She did explain that a harness that works for one may not always work for another and that it is critical to know what to look for. Shoulder damage from harnesses is real so I try to educate people about this. I wish I had known.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,473 Posts
You're the bee's knees, Boo!!! 💗

Reactions: BoosDad
1 - 17 of 17 Posts