Havanese Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Owned by Molly & Riley
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this site and am looking forward to reading all the great information posted here! Our Molly is a 16 month old Havanese/Lhasa Apso mix (she's 75% Havanese!) and we will be getting our 2nd puppy - a purebred Havanese in early June!

Do females generally do better with another female or a male? She's spayed and we will have the new pup fixed as well. Molly is a fearful dog, who once comfortable LOVES to play with other dogs and people - it just takes her some time to warm up to others.

Also - what's the earliest you can start to tell a dog's temperment?

Please forgive my ignorance - I haven't read up on this sort of info. yet!

Thanks!
P

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Temperaments can be determined as early as 7 weeks old. You can see other subtle signs before then, but I do temperament testing on all of my puppies individually when they are 7 weeks of age. I was really surprised to see how accurate it was as they grew. That testing kept me from placing one puppy with a family and I suggested another one instead. That family keeps in touch with me and still sends me thank you notes on how perfect a match it was.

For working with Molly's fears, you may want to consider a book that I was impressed with when reading. It is "For The Love of Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend" by Patricia B McConnell Ph.D. (author of "The Other End of the Leash").

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Welcome to the forum, You will find a lot of information here.

Breeders have an idea of what the temperment of each pup maybe at an early age by the way they interact with one another. Which ones may be more dominant, others shy. Most breeders like to match pups with people,:rolleyes: instead of people with pups.:rolleyes:

Temperment is also determined by environment and socialization. All play a very important role in what a pup will be like as an adult.

Good luck on your new pup.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My first ( a female) was also a very cautious and fearful, when we brought the second one (also a female) she took about an hour and she loved her from then on. when the third (a male) came along this year, she took to him as well. I think they just "know" that these new guys are going to be their family, their pack - good luck - I bet you cant wait!!
Laurie

·
Owned by Molly & Riley
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what temperment works best w/ a fearful pup?

Thanks for the comments - this forum is really helpful!

With a dog on the more fearful side (like Molly) - what kind of temperment would work best? A more dominant dog or a more submissive one?

There are two dogs in the litter (one male, one female) that are "food hogs" - the breeder said they always make sure they are there to get food. She thinks these two will be more dominant...

Comments, please???

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,358 Posts
Hi Havapuppy and welcome. :)

We have a lot of resident briends who can offer a much better advice than I can, so I am only going to state my opinion. If I had a choice between a dominant male and a female, I would choose a male. I truly believe that there is nothing better than a neutered male dog. I believe it was Tom (one of our breeders) who said that the girls will love you, but the boys will be inlove with you. I feel this way about my poodles, my hav and my persians.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts