Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Seattle and have a 9 month old B&W that had 4" plus hair but was cut to 1", which I am unhappy with. Has anyone measured the speed of hair growth?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I am in Seattle and have a 9 month old B&W that had 4" plus hair but was cut to 1", which I am unhappy with. Has anyone measured the speed of hair growth?
I haven't measured it in terms of inches, but I know that when Perry has been shaved for surgeries, by the 2 week mark (when he has to get staples or stitches out) the hair growth has practically covered the site. Still super short, but almost the length of a very short puppy cut

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
They grow at pretty remarkably different rates, unfortunately, so it’s hard to give you any real numbers. Two of Ducky’s siblings (they are 8 months old) have been cut down into puppy cuts, while Ducky has never had is hair cut. Their hair is not much different in length than his is! LOL!

The one thing I can guarantee you is that his hair WILL grow back to a length you are happier with! :D

Reactions: DogFather

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
Like humans, Havanese hair regrowth rate is highly variable. Our Ricky Ricardo has a VERY slow hair growth rate. But as @krandall says, it will grow back eventually. We put Ricky in a puppy cut when he was about a year old because we were frustrated with the "blowing coat" period. We vowed NEVER to do that again. It took forever for his coat to grow out again. But he has a beautiful, luxurious full coat today that gets daily compliments. We have him bathed and groomed every two weeks by a professional groomer, Violetta, who comes to our house for his appointments.

It is better NOT to watch it grow, just enjoy the puppy whatever the hair length is. What is the old saying? A watched pot never boils! But it does boil eventually.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Sundance’s hair grows incredibly fast, except for between his eyes! It’s made me more relaxed about haircuts but more vigilant about communicating not to shave between the eyes. The rest of his coat grew so fast he had three trims before the area between his eyes was back to the length it was before it was shaved.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I unfortunately will have a lovely case study of this with Charlie, given his recent hospital stay. If I recall correctly from past experience, I’m guessing it will start to at least blend in around 8 weeks but we will see. Hopefully sooner, as he looks very unhappy about his naked upper leg!

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Shih tzu Liver

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Sundance’s hair grows incredibly fast, except for between his eyes! It’s made me more relaxed about haircuts but more vigilant about communicating not to shave between the eyes. The rest of his coat grew so fast he had three trims before the area between his eyes was back to the length it was before it was shaved.
Also true that head and tail hair grow the slowest! (annoyingly!!!)

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Maddie and Zoey were cut down even shorter than the one inch around the end of August. Maddie has a silkier coat and it's now 1 1/2 '' Zoey has a thicker coat and is at 2 '' They both look really cute at this length. If you want a longer coat one really has to comb daily.
View attachment 176355
They are looking cute as can be, Suzy! Are those outfits you made for them?

Reactions: Sheri

·
Super Moderator
4,835 Posts
Good to hear Charlie is feeling better! Scout's legs were completely shaved with his CCL surgeries and within weeks he was furry again. 😁 I took Scout and Truffles to a new groomer a few weeks ago. The groomer did a very nice job. Later I noticed Scout was missing a chuck of hair in the middle of one ear. Not sure what happened. :unsure: I think she may have started trimming a shorter ear and then remembered I said do not to touch the ears and tail. The hair on his ears has never been cut so it will take some time to grow out. 😬 They both
Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog
like her so it will work out. 😊 I'll just have to remind her next time.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I unfortunately will have a lovely case study of this with Charlie, given his recent hospital stay. If I recall correctly from past experience, I’m guessing it will start to at least blend in around 8 weeks but we will see. Hopefully sooner, as he looks very unhappy about his naked upper leg!

View attachment 176354
Boo had something similar after he left the ER. However, 3.5 weeks out it is completely covered with short hair.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Good to hear Charlie is feeling better! Scout's legs were completely shaved with his CCL surgeries and within weeks he was furry again. 😁 I took Scout and Truffles to a new groomer a few weeks ago. The groomer did a very nice job. Later I noticed Scout was missing a chuck of hair in the middle of one ear. Not sure what happened. :unsure: I think she may have started trimming a shorter ear and then remembered I said do not to touch the ears and tail. The hair on his ears has never been cut so it will take some time to grow out. 😬 They both View attachment 176357 like her so it will work out. 😊 I'll just have to remind her next time.
Over all, he DOES look beautiful, though!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Yes, it was for Halloween. I like the way the groomer did Maddies face she looks like a puppy. Although she is turning very gray just like me,
Awww, that's just the silver gene... not age! LOL!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

View attachment 176354
I am recording the growth of the center back hair. Interesting that no one seems to have done this. Visually, the leg hair seems to be growing noticeably slower. I wonder, might have to start measuring it also....

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
I am recording the growth of the center back hair. Interesting that no one seems to have done this. Visually, the leg hair seems to be growing noticeably slower. I wonder, might have to start measuring it also....
Because every dog is different. You will have a nice record of how fast YOUR dogs hair grows, but it won’t really have any direct bearing on anyone else’s dog. Even in the same litter, hair grows at very different rates. Ducky’s hair has never been cut, but it is only a little longer than his litter mates, who have all been trimmed already!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,844 Posts
In my experience, nails and paw pad hair grows faster than anything on Mia…the ‘fun to trim” stuff! Her black and white hair seems to grow at different rates too which is why I am trying her longer so I am not constantly trimming something to keep her even.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Yes, I trim nails weekly on everyone, and paws probably every other week or so. Otherwise the "dog races" on the hardwood floors start to look dangerous around corners! LOL!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts