Havanese Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after putting it off for a year I finally ordered a pair of Ruffland kennels. I put them down with some treats inside and it took them a while to get the courage to go in, but after 15 mins they were both piled into one together.

ignore the floor. I swear I vacuum daily but these guys bring the outside in and you just can’t tell. Lol

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
Oh, cool! You got the colored ones! Those weren’t even offered when I got mine! Did you have the extra holes drilled in the back? I really am glad I did that. They do get warm in the summer! I do really like them though. Really safe crates at an affordable price!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn’t call them affordable after $90 USD shipping! Lol. But I’m considering them an investment in my dogs :)

They don’t do extra holes in the specialty colours unfortunately - one of the drawbacks. However, I live in a mostly cool weather climate with a kiddo who gets sick if the back of the car gets warmer than 21C. So we have the A/C running year round in the car. If I find they’re too warm, I’ll have to look into fans.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
I wouldn’t call them affordable after $90 USD shipping! Lol. But I’m considering them an investment in my dogs :)

They don’t do extra holes in the specialty colours unfortunately - one of the drawbacks. However, I live in a mostly cool weather climate with a kiddo who gets sick if the back of the car gets warmer than 21C. So we have the A/C running year round in the car. If I find they’re too warm, I’ll have to look into fans.
You could always have holes cut in them locally if you find you need them. Even with $90 shipping, they still don’t come close to the cost of my double Variocage cage or a couple of Gunners!

Reactions: EvaE1izabeth

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could always have holes cut in them locally if you find you need them. Even with $90 shipping, they still don’t come close to the cost of my double Variocage cage or a couple of Gunners!
Very very true!! I looked into Gunners briefly until I saw the price! Lol! Never thought of getting the holes cut local but that’s a great idea!!

Reactions: krandall

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
Very very true!! I looked into Gunners briefly until I saw the price! Lol! Never thought of getting the holes cut local but that’s a great idea!!
I am sure my husband has hole saws that could do it here...

Reactions: Wulfin

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Depending on what they’re made of you could do it yourself, but it’s an expensive experiment and how would you get a scrap to test? Even having someone else doing it, it would probably help to find out what they’re made of and test on something similar and cheap, but definitely worth the effort for the modification if it ends up being useful. I have modified a couple of plastic items and it didn’t smell great but a coated drill bit or saw blade works great, and the heat from the tool often gives smooth edges. I cut down plastic IKEA drawer dividers on a table saw and the trick was going fast and removing any shavings immediately while the edge was still warm. But, they were a $9 experiment!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
Depending on what they’re made of you could do it yourself, but it’s an expensive experiment and how would you get a scrap to test? Even having someone else doing it, it would probably help to find out what they’re made of and test on something similar and cheap, but definitely worth the effort for the modification if it ends up being useful. I have modified a couple of plastic items and it didn’t smell great but a coated drill bit or saw blade works great, and the heat from the tool often gives smooth edges. I cut down plastic IKEA drawer dividers on a table saw and the trick was going fast and removing any shavings immediately while the edge was still warm. But, they were a $9 experiment!
It’s a small company. I would bet anything that if you talked to them, they would tell you exactly what to use to cut the holes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts