Havanese Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone -
New member here. Hope all is well.
Like everyone else in the world, we are looking for a new pup. This will be our first :)
We've decided on the Havapoo, but we are having the hardest time just finding a reputable breeder - whether that's in the tr-state area or elsewhere. I mean, we are totally totally striking out.
I don't mind waiting, but would love some advice or suggestions of where we can look - even if it's outside the tri-state area.

Thanks!

·
Member (Teresa)
713 Posts
I’m not very familiar with Havapoos. Everyone has waiting lists, as you know, but there are significantly more Havanese breeders to choose from. Looking outside your own area is the best option in general. Someone with more knowledge or experience with Havapoos will probably see this post at some point. Thanks for dropping in.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I am not sure you will find the information you are looking for here. Breeders that are reputable will not be the ones that are going to intentionally breed a Havanese with a poodle. They will be the ones that health test their breeding dogs, screen potential puppy parents, and breed to standard. When I was looking for a puppy I did run across those that bred Havanese mixes and they did none of those things. If you have your heart set on a mix there are probably many backyard breeders, puppy brokers, or mills that are selling them either privately or to pet stores. I would highly recommend considering a purebred Havanese. You won't be sorry!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I agree I am so happy that I decided on a Havanese. Poodles are a very good breed and they are very intelligent that is why so many designer breeders breed Maltipoo's, Havipoos, and other Poodle mixes. My concern is that you will pay so much money for these designer breeds but there is no guarantee of what you will end up with because there are no true standards.

I have nothing against mixed breeds and I have had many of them. I just think it's wrong to charge in the thousands of dollars for these designer breeds. They don't have guarantees and it is a gamble. I know someone who was promised a Maltipoo who was supposed to weigh about 7 pounds well she is now 15 pounds which isn't large but still not as promised by the seller. The dog is not overweight or overfed according to the vet.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,627 Posts
BTW, Poodles are a great breed too! If you decide that is a better breed for you than a Havanese, that's not a bad way to go either. Just don't buy a "designer breed". If you want a mixed breed, (or don't care about breed, which is also fine!) get a rescue!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts