Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Melissa!

You mentioned maybe getting things going in this folder and seeing what photo assignments you could think of. I'd love that!!
I realize you may not have the time, but just thought I'd let you know that I'll be eager to take on any challenge you might post once the time allows you to do so. :)

I so enjoyed seeing all the pics posted in the last thread - outdoor shots. Great stuff!!

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
I to love the great out door shots . We just bought a new camera and once every thing settle down at the home front I want to get some of Yoda and post them.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Thats a real cute idea, something to do with kisses and/or valentines day!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes (clapping hands) !! Kissy poo pictures!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
OH MY!!! I did a pix thru photobucket!!!! I have been trying for months and this actually worked - now lets see if I can repeat what I did!!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Way to go !! I just saw your cutie in the gallery. He's adorable!! Isn't it fun when we finally get it working?! :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
HUGE FIND!!!!

Thx so much - but a have a new find that is even better than photobucket! It seems that most of our problems stem from our pix being too large!!! Well gang check out this website

www.shrinkpictures.com

it is amazing and soooooooooo easy - even I can do it - once your pix are the right size your picture world amazingly opens up!!!

Try it!

Catherine aka Olliesmom

·
Bessie & Max's Parents
693 Posts
I need some help. When I take pictures of Max using the flash, the end result is his eyes glow.....like he's possessed or something. I've tried fixing by using the eliminate red-eye function but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Rick, that is a really good photo for a black dog indoors. (At least, it appears indoors) I've had many black dogs and the only good ones I've been able to capture have always been outdoors.

I'm not very good with a camera, and I'm sure Melissa has much better information, but I attended a photography seminar at our last Havanese National Specialty and that person basically said the key was to correct the glowing eyes through software. She made it sound hopeless to work too hard with the camera. (I may have misunderstood her, but that's what I got out of the red/glowing eye part of her workshop.)

Hopefully, someone else will have a better option for you. Otherwise, get Max out in real daylight for some good options. You can go to Google and look up photography tips for black dogs too (ex. "photography tips black dogs").

I found these right away:
Pet Photography Tips

Tips for Photographing Pets - lots of info!

Good luck! If you find any helpful tips, send them my way too please. I still have a black dog with very few photos of her. :)

·
Bessie & Max's Parents
693 Posts
Kimberly, thanks for the link to the photo tips.....

Actually this was an indoor picture on a light beige carpet, even though it did snow today....

Rick

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
This is such a tricky subject. Software thats automatic does not always fix this. People get red eye, and thats what the software looks for the "red" in the pupil. W/ Dogs they get green eye and it takes up a lot of their eye, like you see here. Its almost uncorrectable because you would have to replace the eye. What software does in people photos is replace the red with black because thats the color of the pupil.

When the glow spills over the entire eye, you just cant correct it on the computer without replacing it with another eye.

You have to prevent it with your camera. If you have a point and shoot, you can try putting it on the red eye reduction, which will get the eye adjusted to the light before the pic snaps. MIGHT work on dogs.

If you have an SLR, I would soooo strongly suggest getting an on camera sep. flash. Even one off of ebay. It will help. And it wont alway prevent it 100% but it helps. The farther away the flash from the lens, the better. The smaller the camera, the worse the red or green eye.

Indoors its worse because its darker in room, thus making the light from the flash harsher on the eyes.

The only reason black dogs are hard to photograph is because of your camera meter. Once again, if you have an SLR, I can tell you how to fix that also. Its metering off the dark dog and adjusting the exposure wrong. Its also hard to focus on them.

I shoot most dark dogs manual, but I shoot almost everything manual now. We can start a thread for photography. I can teach those if I know what kind of camera you have.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Wow Melissa. Great tips.

Rick your Max is adorable. I love the color. I originally wanted a black one but the personality didn't work for us.

I am horrible taking pictures. My son took the one that I have posted. I am too slow taking pictures and only had pictures of Houston's butt. I have a Kodak Easy Share digital camera. For this picture, I just zoomed in with my Kodak software. The software did an OK job with the eyes but not as good as with people.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
I found with my old point and click camera, if you take the picture on an angle instead of directly in front of the dog it does help. I can't live with out my SLR now best investment I ever made. Just my 2 cents.

·
Bessie & Max's Parents
693 Posts
Wow, Rick evil eye or not I think Max is really cute. I have a cream, white dog but I love the black dogs. I want one! He is cute, he looks the age of Casper about 6 months? We fixed a picture of Casper with software (the eyes were like that) , and we colored in his eye, my husband helped. It probably was not the best job, but it colored the eye dark again.
Hi Lynn, Max will be 5 months next week. Where in Washington State do you live.....if close enough maybe Casper and Max could have a play date?

Thanks for all the photography advice....Maybe I'll have to dust off my old F1 Nikon.......

·
Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
2,349 Posts
Ahh, the old F1 Nikon...I so hate the fact that I traded mine when I couldn't afford to buy a new/used one outright. That was the BEST camera I ever had and it was a gift from a Japanese student who lived with us. I've never taken photos as good as those were...Oh, sorry, this isn't about a dog, but that camera brings back some fond memories....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts