Havanese Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dianna
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we are new members to the site! And, we are first time Havanese owners. We are currently parents to an 11 year old 5th grader, Shawn, a 7 year old cairn terrier, Maddox, and we just adopted a chocolate Havanese 3 weeks ago.

Introducing baby Fitz, Fitzgerald Grant, III. We adopted him on President's Day and I named him after my favorite, current TV president from the ABC show Scandal. Lol.

He is 12 weeks (we think... as he does not have formal papers). I guesstimate that his birthday is mid December 2013ish. He is a chocolate havanese, white/cream colored with a few sandy patches on his ears and 1 sandy patch on his back. I refer to this color as creme brulee unless there is a more formal description. He had very blue green eyes when we got him at 9 weeks, but now they are fading into a more hazel green color.

We were not planning on adopting a Havanese, in fact before I met baby Fitz and his brother, I did not even know what the breed was. But now, I am absolutely IN LOVE with him. He is 100% boy and 100% puppy. He is cute and little and snuggly and also teething, so a little nippy, into humping me (as the only girl in our little family)--Ughhh. Is this normal? Lol.--sleeps a lot and when he's awake, active and super playful.

He also acts like a kitty cat often (compared to my other dog!). He likes to perch up high, which I read is normal for the breed. He is a little afraid of the edge and will climb up but bark or squeak to get taken down. He also likes to burrow under the covers or between things when he sleeps. I will find him in my tote bag, often, or in between it.

He pees on paper or puppy pads most of the time, but also decides sometimes that he just needs to go whenever and wherever he chooses to. This is something we are working on and getting used to all over again! I notice that he likes to only use the puppy pad once, maybe twice before he is completely over it!

He is only vocal when he is not getting his way, cannot get what he wants by himself, or is left alone. He will sleep in his crate or in a gated area, but when he is awake and wants out, he will not stop yelping until he is out.

All of his shots are current and we are shopping for a new vet (as mine for Maddox recently retired!), but the few questions burning on my mind are:

Nutrition and diet: As a health & nutrition coach I am big on eating the best we can in our personal diet, so I would like to feed our little guys the best we can. I eat mostly vegan, and raw (80/20), drink my green smoothies, and am discovering all the cool things I can do with a Vitamix! Is a raw diet really the way to go for these puppies? Wet or dry food, etc... We are currently feeding them Nutro Natural Choice. It is gluten free, corn free, and soy free. But still has chicken, brown rice, and oatmeal. A family member who has a white bijon/poodle mix mentioned to me that I should look for a dog food that has duck and no other meat as it will help prevent the tear-ing and staining around the eyes and the discoloring around his paw fur.

Baths: Because he is so light in color and a puppy that enjoys daily adventures around the house, he is often in need of a bath. Is it bad to bathe him daily? What are everyone's thoughts on a chemical free shampoo for his color and fur type. My cairn's fur has 2 textures and is similar to people hair, so I use my natural, herbal shampoo and conditioner (Arbonne) on him. Right now I am just using a natural shea butter liquid soap on Fitz to keep him clean since I know it won't sting his eyes or harm his fur. I will keep searching through on this forum.

Teething, toys, and treats: We bought him a Kong and several chew toys also a dental bone, but I'm not sold on the ingredients it has in it. Does anyone have a favorite toy that fascinates their Havanese puppy? And treats. Recommendations on treats. The pet store recommended a natural soft treat for now its been ok.

Collars and leash: He's still little and mostly indoors, but when I travel for work I'm wondering if I should get him a collar and a harness leash or what? Does this breed enjoy walks? I am clueless. I tried to take him with my cairn (who loves LONG walks) but it was kind of a disaster. We're still trying things out though!

Looking forward to your insight, advice, and the adventures in parenting a new puppy ahead. Thank you!

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,225 Posts
Oh my gosh, you are going to love the food discussions. I think that right now the "hot" diets are Honest Kitchen and anything that Sabine the doggie nutritionist tells you. Simmy17 had a recent thread going that was good. KRandall had one about Honest Kitchen.

I would say that most prefer harnesses over collars because collars stress the neck. The problems with harnesses is that you get matting but the safety factor is worth it.

:welcome:

·
Dianna
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I can't wait to dive in and read about them.

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
I only have time to answer a few questions.
I feed Primal, Stellas and Chewys frozen raw and Ziwipeak freeze dried raw. Nothing from China, no hormones or steroids etc organic too!
Treats- grain free Orijens, Primal and Plato. All ingredients sourced locally nothing originate in china.
You should rotate a few protein sources. Don't do overboard but I switch between fish, lamb and beef.
My guys love squeaky toys and puzzles! Other good chew options are antlers, cow hooves, bully sticks and Flossie's. Take chews away when they get small. Please no marrow bones or dental chews!!!! They can break off in a large piece and cause a blockage.
Daily baths are way too much. Most bathe a dog every 7-10
Days. I use Earthbath.
Since you are health conscience. Please read up on vaccines! They are evil. Look up Dr Jean Dobbs protocal.....
Good luck!!!

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,225 Posts
Daily baths? I missed that one! lol! 7-10 days. Of course, there are always the face and foot baths. My Jack takes cares of his own face by submerging it in the community water bowl to the disgust of Nessie and Bazinga. :D

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Welcome Dianna and Fitz! I brought Leo home at the end of April and before the weather turned cold he got 2 baths per week because he often accompanies me to my office and I have 2 other dogs at home that like to roll him around in the dirt. Since winter I typically bath him once a week. I use a gentle shampoo typically diluted 10:1 or more and very good conditioners.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our hav puppy is named Fitz too! He's 15 weeks now and sounds just like your Fitz--he humps me and only me, is very playful, and can be a bit nippy. He used to cry in his pen but has gotten over that. We spent some time playing with him in the pen, and we'd hide treats in it too. So it became a place of positive associations. We also taught him that he cannot come out of his pen until he is sitting quietly-- if he's jumping and barking, he stays in until he settles down.

We also noticed that our Fitz gets really nippy when he is tired (usually after only 30 minutes or so of pretty vigorous play). A quick nap and he's back to his well-behaved puppy self!

Fitz's favorite toy is a long fox with squeakers at either end. It has no stuffing. It has a brand name, but it's escaping me right now- maybe someone else can help out here?. He loves chasing the dangling ends and making it squeak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Dianna,

Your baby Fitz is so adorable!! I am getting my Hav puppy in a few weeks. I am searching for a local vet who is experienced in Havanese. I am in San Jose, CA. Are you also in the south bay area by chance? If so, have you found a good vet?

Yipin (mommy) and Kiwi (baby girl)

·
Dianna
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only have time to answer a few questions.
I feed Primal, Stellas and Chewys frozen raw and Ziwipeak freeze dried raw. Nothing from China, no hormones or steroids etc organic too!
Treats- grain free Orijens, Primal and Plato. All ingredients sourced locally nothing originate in china.
You should rotate a few protein sources. Don't do overboard but I switch between fish, lamb and beef.
My guys love squeaky toys and puzzles! Other good chew options are antlers, cow hooves, bully sticks and Flossie's. Take chews away when they get small. Please no marrow bones or dental chews!!!! They can break off in a large piece and cause a blockage.
Daily baths are way too much. Most bathe a dog every 7-10
Days. I use Earthbath.
Since you are health conscience. Please read up on vaccines! They are evil. Look up Dr Jean Dobbs protocal.....
Good luck!!!
Thank you! Now you've got me curious about vaccines! I thought that they were required for animals, but now that I'm thinking more about it, we don't even get flu shots or take much over the counter medication. This dog nutrition stuff is truly fascinating, but makes so much sense. I will definitely be looking into it more. And, I've already thrown away his dental bone!

·
Dianna
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Daily baths? I missed that one! lol! 7-10 days. Of course, there are always the face and foot baths. My Jack takes cares of his own face by submerging it in the community water bowl to the disgust of Nessie and Bazinga. :D
Haha! Yuck. I wouldn't know what to do! For now, he is getting daily baths only if filthy. The shea butter soap is gentle and chemical free so he should be okay. Mud covered is considered filthy! Lol.

·
Dianna
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome Dianna and Fitz! I brought Leo home at the end of April and before the weather turned cold he got 2 baths per week because he often accompanies me to my office and I have 2 other dogs at home that like to roll him around in the dirt. Since winter I typically bath him once a week. I use a gentle shampoo typically diluted 10:1 or more and very good conditioners.
Thanks! I'm thinking once he gets more into our routine and we control what he's getting into, it will save us the grief and joy of a daily bath! PS... I LOVE the name Leo. :)

·
Dianna
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our hav puppy is named Fitz too! He's 15 weeks now and sounds just like your Fitz--he humps me and only me, is very playful, and can be a bit nippy. He used to cry in his pen but has gotten over that. We spent some time playing with him in the pen, and we'd hide treats in it too. So it became a place of positive associations. We also taught him that he cannot come out of his pen until he is sitting quietly-- if he's jumping and barking, he stays in until he settles down.

We also noticed that our Fitz gets really nippy when he is tired (usually after only 30 minutes or so of pretty vigorous play). A quick nap and he's back to his well-behaved puppy self!

Fitz's favorite toy is a long fox with squeakers at either end. It has no stuffing. It has a brand name, but it's escaping me right now- maybe someone else can help out here?. He loves chasing the dangling ends and making it squeak.
Well now I know its an awesome name! I guess we will be in this together. I'll have to try that with playing in his pen more. He just screams and wales until we take him out and then he's perfectly fine. I just need to be more patient as a puppy parent.

And now that I look at it more, he is more nippy when he's tired. He's out like a light now! Which gives me time to get caught up on work emails and this cool forum. I'm loving all the info. Would love more time to read everyone's other posts! :)

·
Dianna
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Dianna,

Your baby Fitz is so adorable!! I am getting my Hav puppy in a few weeks. I am searching for a local vet who is experienced in Havanese. I am in San Jose, CA. Are you also in the south bay area by chance? If so, have you found a good vet?

Yipin (mommy) and Kiwi (baby girl)
Thank you! Awesome! We actually got him in San Jose, shopping for canaries at a Bird Mart downtown. Once I had him in my hands I didn't want to give him back.

I always thought my next puppy/dog would be from a rescue, but here we are committed parents!

I live near Sacramento, but I used to live in San Jose and have tons of family there. My aunt has a bichon/poodle mix named Koa and a baby siamese cat named Maka. They have an awesome vet as both of them have digestive issues. They go to Evergreen Veterinary Clinic. I think that's in East San Jose.

Good luck! Maybe we have puppy play dates in our future! I'm between the bay area and the Napa valley for work. Fitz is my new road trip co-worker! Lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts