Havanese Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - so glad to have found this forum. We have a Havanese named Gigi, who sadly lost her brother, Waldo, not too recently. To say it was devastating is putting it lightly. We are finally coming around to adding another pup into our lives and so I went onto the Havanese Club of America breeder site. Sadly, I received only ONE email back, after contacting numerous breeders. Is this the typical experience? I absolutely adore this breed, and would prefer to work with a breeder with the credentials mentioned here (thanks to all who have done such a a great job educating!) but what gives? Does anyone know of others not listed on that site that might be worth contacting?

Thanks -
Laura

·
Registered
565 Posts
I looked at the list and there are a few good breeders in my area that are not listed. Right now due to covid puppy buying frenzy, puppies are in short supply. I think that some breeders put their breeding on hold til the virus is over too.
You might check to see if you have a local Havanese club for more breeders that are not listed. Where are you located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the list and there are a few good breeders in my area that are not listed. Right now due to covid puppy buying frenzy, puppies are in short supply. I think that some breeders put their breeding on hold til the virus is over too.
You might check to see if you have a local Havanese club for more breeders that are not listed. Where are you located?
Hi, thanks for your response. We are in Michigan.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think only one reply is pretty common considering these strange times we are in. When I was looking for a puppy just over 3 years ago, it was a similar story. Most breeders have families, homes, jobs plus their breeding and showing their dogs. They are pretty busy people.
Would you travel for a puppy?

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,359 Posts
Unfortunately the response or lack thereof, from breeders is pretty common these days. I tried looking for a new puppy to add to our gang, as Bugsy is going to be 15 in June. I emailed breeders, filled out the puppy questionnaire, and heard absolutely nothing back. The way I see it, it is a sign that I don’t need to have a puppy now. I have stellar credentials, 15 years of Havanese and 37 years of being a dog and cat parent. If that is not enough to get a response...

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
The thing is, most breeders have waiting lists right now, so it’s hard. You just need to be persistent. There is no “easy” way to get around the process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the feedback. I have no issues traveling, or being on a waitlist. I suppose these breeders are overwhelmed with an influx of emails and requests.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,359 Posts
I understand all about being persistent and not giving up. I understand that breeders are busy long waiting list. But, nobody eliminated common courtesy. Pandemic is not going to last forever, why burn bridges...

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
I understand all about being persistent and not giving up. I understand that breeders are busy long waiting list. But, nobody eliminated common courtesy. Pandemic is not going to last forever, why burn bridges...
You are absolutely right about the courtesy thing, and I’m not going to make excuses for people on that. All I can tell you is that for your OWN sake, as someone LOOKING for a puppy... don’t give up. If you are persistent, you WILL eventually connect with the right breeder at the right time and bring hime your special pup! Wish it were easy. But it wasn’t 12 years ago when I was looking for my first, and it’s even harder now because of Covid.

·
Arf! Arf!
3,025 Posts
But it wasn’t 12 years ago when I was looking for my first, and it’s even harder now because of Covid.
Yes, the 'puppy breeding' business doesn't appear to follow generally accepted business practices. I suspect it is because it is a 'hobby business' and is done for love of dogs rather than income producing. I know that 7 years ago we searched for around 6 to 12 months (I don't remember anymore) to find the right Havanese, AND WE HIT THE JACKPOT!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
Yes, the 'puppy breeding' business doesn't appear to follow generally accepted business practices. I suspect it is because it is a 'hobby business' and is done for love of dogs rather than income producing. I know that 7 years ago we searched for around 6 to 12 months (I don't remember anymore) to find the right Havanese, AND WE HIT THE JACKPOT!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts