Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, I took our Bella to her first grooming appointment. She’s 5 months old and our first Havanese. I made the mistake of saying that I would love to see Bella’s eyes. When I picked her up, I hardly recognized her. The bridge of her nose was shaved and her mustache was all wrong. She just didn’t look like a Havanese anymore. Next time I will take a picture to the groomer but I’m not sure what to tell her. She’s not Havanese experienced. That’s no wonder, because I haven’t seen other Havanese in our area. Could someone give me an example of what you tell your groomer? I would like to get to the sweet spot of longish hair that’s still manageable. I would also love to let the hair between her eyes grow again, but still see her eyes.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Water dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Water dog

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I took our Bella to her first grooming appointment. She’s 5 months old and our first Havanese. I made the mistake of saying that I would love to see Bella’s eyes. When I picked her up, I hardly recognized her. The bridge of her nose was shaved and her mustache was all wrong. She just didn’t look like a Havanese anymore. Next time I will take a picture to the groomer but I’m not sure what to tell her. She’s not Havanese experienced. That’s no wonder, because I haven’t seen other Havanese in our area. Could someone give me an example of what you tell your groomer? I would like to get to the sweet spot of longish hair that’s still manageable. I would also love to let the hair between her eyes grow again, but still see her eyes.
View attachment 175906 View attachment 175906
Actually, she looks very cute. She did not shave the bridge of her nose, unless it was done a LONG time ago. Yes, the hair on her nose was trimmed, but believe me, this is NOT a “shaved” nose! LOL! Yes, it is true that I would tell a groomer not to TOUCH the hair between or beneath the eyes. But a lot of people like the hair trimmed between the eyes. So what she did is not “wrong”.

I would look through LOTS of forum photos, find ones you like and take them with you when you fo. Discuss the, with her. That’s probably the best way to help her understand what you like.

But for now, believe me… this is SO far from the worst hair cut we have seen on the forum. I think she lookes adorable, even if it was a bit of a shock. Believe me, when I first got Kodi cut down form his glorious show coat to his first puppy cut, even though I KNEW it was the right thing to do, and I did it myself… it was STILL a shock! It takes some getting used to! One good thing about Havanese is… hair frows! You get another chance before too long! ❤

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your response. It’s been almost four weeks since her puppy cut and she looks a lot better already. I’ve watched quite a few YouTube videos, but they seem to contradict each other on the merits of slicker brushes and other topics. So I’m thoroughly confused and mentally bracing for the blowing coat adventures I read about, lol. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
I think Bella looks just adorable! Like Karen mentioned I would find a picture of a haircut you like and give it to the groomer. It looks like your groomer did a really nice job of shaping. 😊

·
Registered
605 Posts
Agree with everything Karen and Heather’s said.

Bella is a very pretty girl, I love her beautiful eyes😍. You’re so lucky to be able to get nice clear pics of her pretty face, I am rubbish and despite Shamamama’s best attempts at advising me, I rarely get a good one so you can actually see Flo has eyes…and a nose…and a mouth all at the same time!

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
I found a post of two cuties here on HF...Shama and Patti. Their hair styles are different, but they have that cute puppy look. Search for "Top knots that lay flat."

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
The good news is that the groomer does seem to have some skill, but like you mentioned, is inexperienced with Havanese. I think if you take pictures to your next couple of appointments, it won’t be long until you get what you like. It always seems like the hair between the eyes is the slowest to grow, but the nice thing is she doesn’t have that super shaved look. That helps because as the rest of her grows, even if the nose area takes longer, the overall look will soften up pretty fast.

There are very few Havanese in my area, too. More than one groomer has been surprised I care at all and seemed genuinely interested in my requests. I usually try to schedule a bath with a “light scissor trim” before a big haircut with a new person. I have come to appreciate a groomer who cares what I want, even if there are a few mistakes along the way. Those mistakes usually result from something I forgot to mention or a miscommunication that’s easily resolved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The good news is that the groomer does seem to have some skill, but like you mentioned, is inexperienced with Havanese. I think if you take pictures to your next couple of appointments, it won’t be long until you get what you like. It always seems like the hair between the eyes is the slowest to grow, but the nice thing is she doesn’t have that super shaved look. That helps because as the rest of her grows, even if the nose area takes longer, the overall look will soften up pretty fast.

There are very few Havanese in my area, too. More than one groomer has been surprised I care at all and seemed genuinely interested in my requests. I usually try to schedule a bath with a “light scissor trim” before a big haircut with a new person. I have come to appreciate a groomer who cares what I want, even if there are a few mistakes along the way. Those mistakes usually result from something I forgot to mention or a miscommunication that’s easily resolved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I so appreciate your response. I realize most of the problem was me not communicating well because at the time - being a novice - I didn’t really know what I wanted, until I saw what I didn’t want😂 In fact, that’s when I discovered this forum. I should have done my homework sooner.
I would still like some input on what to say. I think I’d like what you called a light scissor cut, but read other places that groomers don’t want to do that with a puppy. I liked the long hair she had. It just became a nuisance in terms of her legs getting wet outside. Since we’re on a farm, the options are grass or gravel. How silly would it look to have most of her hair longish overall but to keep the legs shorter plus sanitary? Also: is it true that I need to cut her nails every other week? If yes, I guess I should get brave enough to do it myself. The vet tech did it at her last puppy appointment and said that Bella had a temper tantrum. The groomer did not mention a problem. Yesterday, I just cut a bit of one nail and she yelped even though she couldn’t have been hurt. Of course that scared me and I stopped. Should I have just used treats and kept going?

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
I so appreciate your response. I realize most of the problem was me not communicating well because at the time - being a novice - I didn’t really know what I wanted, until I saw what I didn’t want😂 In fact, that’s when I discovered this forum. I should have done my homework sooner.
I would still like some input on what to say. I think I’d like what you called a light scissor cut, but read other places that groomers don’t want to do that with a puppy. I liked the long hair she had. It just became a nuisance in terms of her legs getting wet outside. Since we’re on a farm, the options are grass or gravel. How silly would it look to have most of her hair longish overall but to keep the legs shorter plus sanitary? Also: is it true that I need to cut her nails every other week? If yes, I guess I should get brave enough to do it myself. The vet tech did it at her last puppy appointment and said that Bella had a temper tantrum. The groomer did not mention a problem. Yesterday, I just cut a bit of one nail and she yelped even though she couldn’t have been hurt. Of course that scared me and I stopped. Should I have just used treats and kept going?
The wuestion on her coat are ones of aesthetics, and totally up to you. As far as nails are concerned, yes, unless the dog is walking rather long distances on pavement daily, which puppies SHOULDN’T be, their nails DO need to be cut OFTEN. I cut Ducky’s nail’s weekly, and I cut quite a bit off each time. I TRY to cut the adult dogs nails every week, but honestly, if it slips to every other week, I don’t worry about it. And, yes, by sll means get out the treats, and treat for every nail if you need to to make him more comfortable with the procedure!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wuestion on her coat are ones of aesthetics, and totally up to you. As far as nails are concerned, yes, unless the dog is walking rather long distances on pavement daily, which puppies SHOULDN’T be, their nails DO need to be cut OFTEN. I cut Ducky’s nail’s weekly, and I cut quite a bit off each time. I TRY to cut the adult dogs nails every week, but honestly, if it slips to every other week, I don’t worry about it. And, yes, by sll means get out the treats, and treat for every nail if you need to to make him more comfortable with the procedure!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you! We worked on nail clipping today. My husband was a big help. Bella was quite scared. I don’t know if she had a bad experience at the groomer’s or if that’s normal. It is going to take a while to make that part of the routine. Big learning curve, sigh! But she’s so loving and cute. That makes up for the little frustrations we’re experiencing. I’m so glad we decided on a Havanese. Such a special breed!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You’re kind. Do you know what Bella’s color and marking is called? I messed up when I registered her because she’s already changed since. I don’t want to bother her breeder. She just left the hospital after a bad case of COVID.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
I would keep handling her feet, even when you aren’t trimming, and go from there. You also don’t have to trim them all of them at once, you can do one foot at a time throughout the day. They need to learn to tolerate them all at once but breaking it up means you can stop and treat and take a break before she gets stressed, and frequent practice helps with anything. I think my mistake with nails and feet was not enough frequent, casual handling.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Thank you! We worked on nail clipping today. My husband was a big help. Bella was quite scared. I don’t know if she had a bad experience at the groomer’s or if that’s normal. It is going to take a while to make that part of the routine. Big learning curve, sigh! But she’s so loving and cute. That makes up for the little frustrations we’re experiencing. I’m so glad we decided on a Havanese. Such a special breed!

Sometimes it is truly being scared, other times it is just not wanting to do it! ALL of my puppies were started exactly the same way, using cooperative care methods to get them used to nail clipping, etc. all of the puppies except for one are AWESOME about it! One is JUST AWFUL. HE still fights light a little hellion. He's NOT scared, he just doesn't want any part of it, and figures if he fights hard enough, he'll win. (he doesn't ;) )

Reactions: EvaE1izabeth
1 - 20 of 28 Posts