Havanese Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
29,767 Posts
Bella looks to be a chocolate color with Parti or Extreme Parti markings. I can't really see if she has any brown on her body from that angle.
I agree. But I assume she is a pet and will not be bred or shown. So it really doesn't matter if Bella's Mama didn't get it exactly right. Most breeders register the puppies themselves, or AT LEAST fill this information in for the buyer, just because a pet buyer is not going to know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Bella looks to be a chocolate color with Parti or Extreme Parti markings. I can't really see if she has any brown on her body from that angle.
I agree. But I assume she is a pet and will not be bred or shown. So it really doesn't matter if Bella's Mama didn't get it exactly right. Most breeders register the puppies themselves, or AT LEAST fill this information in for the buyer, just because a pet buyer is not going to know.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,767 Posts
I think something is going wrong with your responses... You are quoting our posts, but then we can't see your response to the quotes! Can you go back in, dit, (those little dots in the upper right hand corner) and say what you had in mind to say? :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
She’s definitely a pet. The breeder did not fill it out and I’m just curious because there were too many options for me to understand. As a chocolate, will her eyes most likely stay blue? “Aerial” view of markings:
Dog Window Carnivore Dog breed Floor

·
Metrowest, MA
29,767 Posts
Yes, she is a chocolate parti. Her eyes should not be blue if she were a show dog, and that would be a DQ for the show ring. HOWEVER, there is NOTHING physically wrong with her because her eyes are blue. it's just a "breed rule for the showing and breeding". She is still a LOVELY pet! This is one of the tough things about breeding chocolates. If you ant to try to breed chocolates and ALSO show them, it is REALLY hard to not have puppies that show up that have eyes that are too light and/or pigment that is too light, and MOST of them have coats that fade to a much paler color over time (although THAT is not a DQ for the show ring, it it just less desirable)

Your girl is ADORABLE, her blue eyes make her distinctive, they are not a health problem at all, and are probably part of the reason she was made available to you as a pet puppy. Enjoy her! 💕

·
Premium Member
4,831 Posts
She’s definitely a pet. The breeder did not fill it out and I’m just curious because there were too many options for me to understand. As a chocolate, will her eyes most likely stay blue? “Aerial” view of markings:
Truffles had blue eyes when she was puppy. I think the color of her eyes started to change around six months to dark amber. It will be interesting to see if Bella's eye color changes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes, she is a chocolate parti. Her eyes should not be blue if she were a show dog, and that would be a DQ for the show ring. HOWEVER, there is NOTHING physically wrong with her because her eyes are blue. it's just a "breed rule for the showing and breeding". She is still a LOVELY pet! This is one of the tough things about breeding chocolates. If you ant to try to breed chocolates and ALSO show them, it is REALLY hard to not have puppies that show up that have eyes that are too light and/or pigment that is too light, and MOST of them have coats that fade to a much paler color over time (although THAT is not a DQ for the show ring, it it just less desirable)

Your girl is ADORABLE, her blue eyes make her distinctive, they are not a health problem at all, and are probably part of the reason she was made available to you as a pet puppy. Enjoy her! 💕

Truffles had blue eyes when she was puppy. I think the color of her eyes started to change around six months to dark amber. It will be interesting to see if Bella's eye color changes.
I am curious as well. My husband called her eyes green yesterday. 😉 I’ve spent a lot of time on the forum this weekend and I’m learning a lot thanks to everyone’s comments.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,767 Posts
Interesting. That is really late for them to change. Just as with human babies, there is often a blue caste to the eyes of newborns, but it goes away quite quickly. Normally by the time they go to their forever homes. Then again, my hazel-eyed son had blue eyes until he was almost 2, so I know that occasionally human children change really late too!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It’s almost time for Belly Bell’s second grooming appointment. She’ll be 7 months tomorrow and I’m considering to request only bath/sani/pedi. Let everything else grow before that adult coat comes in. At least I won’t be disappointed - in theory. Today, she definitely needs a bath after playing with her best buddy and I will give that brand new grooming table a try.
Dog Plant Dog breed People in nature Leaf
Plant Grass Dog breed Groundcover Grassland
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Working animal
Dog Plant Dog breed People in nature Leaf

·
Metrowest, MA
29,767 Posts
What a cutie! You should try giving her that kind of grooming yourself! You can do it! Why pay for it?!?! ;)

Reactions: Bella’s Mama

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
She looks great, why not? One of the groomers I took Sundance to had “a la carte” services as you described, and they were pretty inexpensive. The full groom at the same place was pricey. Since he also went to daycare there, it was really convenient to pick him up all cleaned up between haircuts. If you are thinking of growing her longer between trims, and you are already bathing her, learning to do her feet and sanitary area would be a great way to do that and isn’t much of a stretch from what you are doing. Plus it’s really hard to make feet look bad because they grow so fast :)

I love a Havanese puppy with a longish coat, so I say go for it now while it’s an easier puppy coat, and enjoy it. When you feel she needs to be cut, whether she’s blowing coat or you just want a trim, take lots of pictures and have them go easy on the face. I have found that mine grows so fast, I love his coat both short and long.

If you’re worried about being disappointed in the haircut but you like the groomer and are pretty sure they’re good, keep in mind the imperfections will probably lessen with each haircut as you work out together what you like. I love that they listened when you took her in for her pedi. I do think if I understand what you mean, I would feel the same way, though. I would be kind of expecting possible mishaps during the blowing coat stage and they wouldn’t be as disappointing at that point.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I’ve got to be the least efficient groomer, 😂 it took me an hour because I only have a hand held pet dryer and my clothes were pretty much soaked from her standing up in the sink. I’ll follow your advice on how to work with groomer. I’d love to learn it all but would need to invest in a better dryer.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I’ve got to be the least efficient groomer, 😂 it took me an hour because I only have a hand held pet dryer and my clothes were pretty much soaked from her standing up in the sink. I’ll follow your advice on how to work with groomer. I’d love to learn it all but would need to invest in a better dryer.
I give Perry a bath in the tub - I usually wear a pair of shorts and a tank top (that I end up changing afterwards :) ) and sit on the edge of the tub with my feet inside the tub (easier to corral him that way) and use a bucket or the handheld sprayer. I actually don't get that wet while bathing him - it's when I take him out to dry that I end up getting the wettest.

If you're going to groom (cut) them yourself, I find it much much easier with a grooming table - you don't need a big one, I have a smaller/ portable one that turns that you set on any table. Right now it's packed away so i'm grooming him without it and I realize how much easier it is with the table :)

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
The way I deal with the enormous amount of water a little Havanese coat can hold is really unprofessional and a little wild but it works for us!

I give a “bath” in the shower with the hand shower. The shower stays warm enough that I don’t need water filled up unless I need to soak him. I have managed to stay pretty dry this way if I need to and I cover my clothes because there’s less water overall, but I don’t bother, I change afterwards. It’s not very ergonomically correct, though! I usually start out squatting and often end up sitting down. In spite of being messy, I find the mess of wet clothes I can hang dry more convenient than a soaked kitchen, but my kitchen sink is small and not very deep, I don’t have a utility sink, and my bathtub is deep and uncomfortable to lean over.

When I’m all done, I tell him to “shake, shake, shake,” or sing Shake It Off if I’m in an extra good mood, and he shakes and releases a lot of water right in the shower. I push back the big comforter on my bed and put down a pile of towels, usually bath towels that have been used once and need to go in the wash but are dry and aren’t dirty or smelly. He rubs around on those for a minute, and then I let him out and embrace his zoomies down the hall. If DD’s room is open and she has clothes sorted on the floor (it’s usually Saturday when she’s doing laundry) he loves to roll around in it, haha! Even though he leaves a trail that’s a little damp, it helps to dry him off and it doesn’t leave so much water in one place that it damages anything. Our climate is also really dry so all of those places are almost dry by the time I’m done grooming. I let him run around for about 5 minutes, just enough to wear him out. He usually has to go potty about that time, and afterwards I wrap him in a microfiber towel and hold him on my lap for 10 minutes or so before I start to dry him. It’s kind of a special time because he’s not really a lap dog but he snuggles right up on my lap after a bath. By the time I start drying him, it doesn’t take as long.

I use a traditional human hair dryer and have found a diffuser helpful. I can set down the hair dryer for a moment while it’s on and it doesn’t fly off of the table. A dryer stand is really helpful! You can use almost any hair dryer (except the one I use so I returned mine and didn’t get around to replacing it).

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
...When I’m all done, I tell him to “shake, shake, shake,” or sing Shake It Off if I’m in an extra good mood, and he shakes and releases a lot of water right in the shower. I push back the big comforter on my bed and put down a pile of towels, usually bath towels that have been used once and need to go in the wash but are dry and aren’t dirty or smelly. He rubs around on those for a minute, and then I let him out and embrace his zoomies down the hall. If DD’s room is open and she has clothes sorted on the floor (it’s usually Saturday when she’s doing laundry) he loves to roll around in it, haha! Even though he leaves a trail that’s a little damp, it helps to dry him off and it doesn’t leave so much water in one place that it damages anything. Our climate is also really dry so all of those places are almost dry by the time I’m done grooming. I let him run around for about 5 minutes, just enough to wear him out. He usually has to go potty about that time, and afterwards I wrap him in a microfiber towel and hold him on my lap for 10 minutes or so before I start to dry him. It’s kind of a special time because he’s not really a lap dog but he snuggles right up on my lap after a bath. By the time I start drying him, it doesn’t take as long.

I use a traditional human hair dryer and have found a diffuser helpful. I can set down the hair dryer for a moment while it’s on and it doesn’t fly off of the table. A dryer stand is really helpful! You can use almost any hair dryer (except the one I use so I returned mine and didn’t get around to replacing it).
Perry dries himself off that way too - after I dry him off in the tub I lay a bunch of towels down and he rubs and rolls around in the towels. When it's warm outside that's all we do and then he air dries... when it's cold out then I wrap him in a towel and put him in his crate for a few minutes (he usually stays wrapped up :) ) and then I hold him wrapped in a towel for a while before pulling out the dryer. Since he's in a puppy cut other than his ears and tail, the rest is practically dry by then (before the dryer) so it doesn't take too long to dry.

I will try the shaking off in the tub next time - though by the time the water is out he's trying to climb in my lap so not sure how it will work - but he may surprise me :)

After hydrotherapy, I wrap him in a towel and rub him dry while I'm talking to his PT Dr. and then he goes into his crate in the car with a towel down. By the time we're home he's dry. The advantages of a puppy cut (that and no matting under his fleece)

·
Member (Teresa)
925 Posts
It’s almost time for Belly Bell’s second grooming appointment. She’ll be 7 months tomorrow and I’m considering to request only bath/sani/pedi. Let everything else grow before that adult coat comes in. At least I won’t be disappointed - in theory. Today, she definitely needs a bath after playing with her best buddy and I will give that brand new grooming table a try. View attachment 176244 View attachment 176242 View attachment 176243 View attachment 176244
Very nice pictures! We had a Golden Retriever when we got our 1st Havi 15 years ago but only the Havi would
retrieve 😆

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I’m just amazed how everyone has a distinct way of dealing with the madness of bathing a Havanese 😂 I like the description of the bathtub method, but I have a big corner tub and the thought of keeping Bella corralled is a bit daunting but possibly doable. She is petite (not quite 8 pounds at 7 months) and I’ll make do with the sink as long as possible. I bought a few ShamWow (?) sheets and they soak up a lot of water, but it still took forever with the dryer. A dryer stand sounds like a good idea. I’ll look into that. I’ve got the portable round grooming table and love it. Air dry is not an option because Bella’s coat is pretty long already and she shivers even though the house is warm.
About the pictures: I love playing fetch with her. Her big “bro” is a boxer/great Pyr mix and just gives her these bored “why are you chasing after sticks” looks. The two of them are hilarious together.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I’m just amazed how everyone has a distinct way of dealing with the madness of bathing a Havanese 😂 I like the description of the bathtub method, but I have a big corner tub and the thought of keeping Bella corralled is a bit daunting but possibly doable. She is petite (not quite 8 pounds at 7 months) and I’ll make do with the sink as long as possible. I bought a few ShamWow (?) sheets and they soak up a lot of water, but it still took forever with the dryer. A dryer stand sounds like a good idea. I’ll look into that. I’ve got the portable round grooming table and love it. Air dry is not an option because Bella’s coat is pretty long already and she shivers even though the house is warm.
About the pictures: I love playing fetch with her. Her big “bro” is a boxer/great Pyr mix and just gives her these bored “why are you chasing after sticks” looks. The two of them are hilarious together.
A corner tub could definitely be daunting! Our last house had a regular tub but 1/2 of it was closed off with a glass wall and our current tub has an old fashioned sliding panel - so 1/2 the length is already closed off and I only have to block 1/2 of it.

I have a shiverer too - Monday was Perry's hydrotherapy appointment - so he wasn't in his fleece and he's in a puppy cut. It was about 37F degrees and rainy here and mister dramatic was sitting on my lap shivering like you wouldn't believe (video to come once it uploads!) - you would have thought it was minus 20F.

Perry's shivering dramatics (please note that this is because he wasn't wearing his fleece and had to walk on the cold/ wet ground for 3 minutes and then sit inside the car with the heater turned on in 37F weather):
20211115_150909.mp4

·
Member (Teresa)
925 Posts
Well, here's my take but I've definitely been teased for it. My kids are bathed with me. I put on my swimsuit and get in the tub with them. I also use a diaper warmer for the shampoo and conditioner. Cotton's hair is sparse so he shivers very easily. I use my medication voice and work slowly. Of course I don't have toddlers and young kids pounding the door anymore. I have them run around the house chasing balls and then get a warm towel from the dryer and wrap them in it for a few minutes. Of course then I have to brush them out before using the hair dryer.
Yes, it's unusual but it works for us😋

21 - 40 of 54 Posts