Havanese Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Our poor Miss Bella seems to be our “live and learn” Havanese. We’ve been letting her hair grow ever since that first grooming experience. The second grooming (which was minimum service like sanitary) turned out great. She was so fluffy and adorable. We’ve put clips in her bangs so she could see. Then we tried the top knot… on the second day, she was with my husband who called me saying she was really puny and he didn’t know what was wrong. Well, we soon figured out that she had managed to tear a large chunk of hair off the top of her head, so bad that there’s a scab. We have no clue how it happened. I feel awful about the whole thing. No matter who I ask, they all say the hair might not grow back 😮 No more top knots for Miss Bella.

·
Member (Teresa)
925 Posts
Our poor Miss Bella seems to be our “live and learn” Havanese. We’ve been letting her hair grow ever since that first grooming experience. The second grooming (which was minimum service like sanitary) turned out great. She was so fluffy and adorable. We’ve put clips in her bangs so she could see. Then we tried the top knot… on the second day, she was with my husband who called me saying she was really puny and he didn’t know what was wrong. Well, we soon figured out that she had managed to tear a large chunk of hair off the top of her head, so bad that there’s a scab. We have no clue how it happened. I feel awful about the whole thing. No matter who I ask, they all say the hair might not grow back 😮 No more top knots for Miss Bella.
Oh my gosh Bella's Mama I'm so sorry! Pleeeease try to release all guilt on your part. Jodie is almost 3 and I've kept her hair semi-long and in top knots, or occasionally, pig tails. She's had some interesting mats at times and has pulled a few chunks out along the way. She and Cotton play pretty vigorously sometimes. She has a "lot" of hair and there has never been an issue with it growing back. We can go down a number of biological/follicle rabbit holes but I say don't worry just yet.
I hope Bella is feeling better now. Dogs are quite sensitive and pick up on our stress hormones easily. If you were a bad dog mama you would not be on this forum seeking information and support. A scab may be visually disconcerting but it helps protect the skin from infection. I have no doubt that Bella still loves you and is happy and healthy in her new family and forever home 💖
I know it's hard to be patient with our fur (hair) babies health but I'm pretty certain Bella is not going to have a glaring bald spot on her head. These things happen with dogs and it is absolutely not a negative reflection on you. Please keep us posted on her progress❣

This is Jodie's top knot, sorry it's so large. My choice is this or microscopic.
Dog Carnivore Liver Dog breed Companion dog

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
What a gorgeous picture of Jodie! By the time we figured out what was wrong with Miss Bella, she was fine again. She had behaved like she did after getting vaccinated: just cranky and wanted to be left alone. I just feel so bad because she looks like a little monk. Okay, I’m exaggerating but it is quite obvious. I’m hoping for the best :) I would like to know what I might have done wrong. Was the band too tight? Should I stick with little clips? Do you supervise a lot while Jodie sports her pretty look?

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,837 Posts
Please don’t feel bad. We all live and learn. My Mia hates top knots. I am sure she would be completely bald if I used them. Of course then I would not need them…

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
i think there’s hope it will grow :) I wonder if maybe she was actively trying to get it out since it was new. When you start doing them again, I would say supervise her with topknots until she’s used to them. You could try putting them in right before playtime so she’s distracted from it and then tire her out so she naps with it in. Maybe view it as a collar and don’t leave her alone anywhere it could get caught? I know they take them out when mine goes to daycare because they can get accidentally pulled by other dogs.

You could definitely try the soft nylon or terry hair bands, which come out more easily and might be more comfortable, but I don’t think it was the hair band itself. The whole topknot was probably caught. So many of us do them, and it happens so rarely, please don’t feel like you did something wrong.

·
Member (Teresa)
925 Posts
Good point EvaE1izabeth. I began with small amounts of hair several times a day at first. The bands (Amazon) EvaE1izabeth referenced are below. They come out easily if it gets caught on anything or roughed up during playtime. Getting Jodie to where she is now was a process. I'm amazed how tolerant she is these days.
A wonderful benefit has been the bonding experience. I took it slowly and talked in a low soothing voice and told her what a good little princess she was-even when she was impatient😋 I didn't realize that even when she didn't like it she was still feeling more and more bonded. I forgot the after picture yestereay. It's a good example of what she does to her hair😆 The second photo is Jodie as a puppy. I made her hair go forward to hide the uneven blotch where she pulled it out. Obviously she recovered just fine.
120PCS Baby Hair Ties, Cotton Toddler Hair Ties for Girls and Kids, Seamless Hair Bands, Elastic Ponytail Holders (Diameter 1 Inch and Assorted Colors) by Nspring
Dog Picture frame Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Toy dog

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,837 Posts
The problem with Mia is that she LOVES rolling around with her head. It is a crazy move she has done since she was little. I used to think she maybe had an ear infection or something but that is not it. She loves doing this and then finishes by flipping over on her back and scooting around with her paws making a weird paddle motion. Perhaps this is completely bizarre but she seems to enjoy it and she does it when she is in a super good mood. I believe a top knot would be very uncomfortable while doing this and would wind up tearing some hair out!

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Jaja, you’re such a fantastic groomer! I’ve missed you, and I thought every bit of your advice was wonderful. I love your before and after pictures of Jodie because your “before” pictures are still so neatly wild, like model beach hair! Sundance’s hair gets gross in two minutes if it’s not pulled back, I don’t think it ever looks like that!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I bought the bands that Karen had recommended. I should not have done a top knot on a day Bella went to the office and I couldn’t supervise. If and when the hair grows back, I might cut bangs or use clips for short periods of time. Thanks,everyone, for making me feel a little better.

·
Member (Teresa)
925 Posts
The problem with Mia is that she LOVES rolling around with her head. It is a crazy move she has done since she was little. I used to think she maybe had an ear infection or something but that is not it. She loves doing this and then finishes by flipping over on her back and scooting around with her paws making a weird paddle motion. Perhaps this is completely bizarre but she seems to enjoy it and she does it when she is in a super good mood. I believe a top knot would be very uncomfortable while doing this and would wind up tearing some hair out!
Cotton and Jodie do that all the time and we still crack up-every time.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts