Havanese Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, Havie parents -- I provide doggy daycare for my son's one-year-old, neutered male. "Casey's" breeder strongly encourages raw feeding, with which we have no experience. Thought maybe we could start with frozen ready-made raw food while we get the hang of making it.

Is there a brand that is a particularly good match for Havanese energy and nutritional needs? I've been comparing "K9 Kraving" with "Answers," which is what our pet store keeps in stock. Additions is higher in fat and promotes the fermented vegetable content as their distinction. K9 Kraving gets higher ratings on some of the dog food review sites and seems to have richer nutrient value.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,140 Posts
Greetings, Havie parents -- I provide doggy daycare for my son's one-year-old, neutered male. "Casey's" breeder strongly encourages raw feeding, with which we have no experience. Thought maybe we could start with frozen ready-made raw food while we get the hang of making it.

Is there a brand that is a particularly good match for Havanese energy and nutritional needs? I've been comparing "K9 Kraving" with "Answers," which is what our pet store keeps in stock. Additions is higher in fat and promotes the fermented vegetable content as their distinction. K9 Kraving gets higher ratings on some of the dog food review sites and seems to have richer nutrient value.
I am not familiar with these products personally, however there is nothing to say you need to stick with one brand. You could consider alternating. IMO one of the major problems in pet food feeding is feeding pets the same thing day after day for their entire life. By switching brands and proteins, you avoid putting all your eggs in one basket. Each may have something unique to offer. Anyway this is just my opinion. Good luck in selecting a food for your precious little one.

Just wanted to say one more thing. Some raw food brands use HPP and some folks do not want this and others don’t care. You may want to decide what you want. HPP supposedly eliminates pathogens but exposes the food to high pressure. I believe Answers uses a fermentation process to prevent pathogens instead of using HPP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not familiar with these products personally, however there is nothing to say you need to stick with one brand. You could consider alternating. IMO one of the major problems in pet food feeding is feeding pets the same thing day after day for their entire life. By switching brands and proteins, you avoid putting all your eggs in one basket. Each may have something unique to offer. Anyway this is just my opinion. Good luck in selecting a food for your precious little one.

Just wanted to say one more thing. Some raw food brands use HPP and some folks do not want this and others don’t care. You may want to decide what you want. HPP supposedly eliminates pathogens but exposes the food to high pressure. I believe Answers uses a fermentation process to prevent pathogens instead of using HPP.
Thanks so much -- sounds like sound advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts