Havanese Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am new to this forum and have already learned so much. I recently lost my Havanese companion of 16 years. She was a happy, healthy energetic and loving friend. I am still passing through the grieving stages and know I will want to adopt again. I registered with the AKC Marketplace and have emailed 15 breeders. I welcome any recommendations and suggestions or avoidance recommendations. One
of the breeders I reached out was mentioned negatively in several threads and I am grateful for that. I look forward to being part of the Havanese discussions to help me on this journey of adoption.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
I’m so sorry for your loss. Reaching out to the Havanese club in your area may help you find resources and breeders local to you. Any breeder can register on the AKC marketplace, from what I understand.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Welcome! Sorry for your loss, but so glad that you were able to enjoy your lovely girl for so long!

Yes, you need to be very careful with AKC Marketplace. Many of the BEST breeders don't use it, because they have so many people who want their puppies that they don't need it, and ALL it means is that puppies are AKC registered (a VERY low bar) and that the breeder has paid for an ad. I am not saying you can't find a good breeder and a nice puppy that way, but make SURE you do due diligence on the breeder. Don't think that just because they are advertising on AKC Marketplace, it means anything in terms of quality, because it doesn't!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome! Sorry for your loss, but so glad that you were able to enjoy your lovely girl for so long!

Yes, you need to be very careful with AKC Marketplace. Many of the BEST breeders don't use it, because they have so many people who want their puppies that they don't need it, and ALL it means is that puppies are AKC registered (a VERY low bar) and that the breeder has paid for an ad. I am not saying you can't find a good breeder and a nice puppy that way, but make SURE you do due diligence on the breeder. Don't think that just because they are advertising on AKC Marketplace, it means anything in terms of quality, because it doesn't!
Thank you so much for this feedback. A breeder contact me this morning. Have you heard of Nancy Whitehead of Haveneseinsocal.com? She seems legit but you never know. I will Google more.
Also, I'm in Carlsbad, CA not New York. IDK how that ended up in the field...maybe autofill

·
Premium Member
4,331 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of your companion. I'll echo the idea of contacting your local havanese club. That's how I eventually found Willow. I called breeders listed on their site and if they couldn't help I would as if they knew of anyone else I could contact. Good luck in your search. Now that you mentioned where you are located, perhaps someone on the forum can direct you to breeders in your area.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Thank you so much for this feedback. A breeder contact me this morning. Have you heard of Nancy Whitehead of Haveneseinsocal.com? She seems legit but you never know. I will Google more.
Also, I'm in Carlsbad, CA not New York. IDK how that ended up in the field...maybe autofill
Oh sorry! No, I don't, but we have a quite a few west coast members who may know something.

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
I registered with the AKC Marketplace and have emailed 15 breeders. I welcome any recommendations and suggestions or avoidance recommendations. One
of the breeders I reached out was mentioned negatively in several threads and I am grateful for that. I look forward to being part of the Havanese discussions to help me on this journey of adoption.
In my opinion, AKC Marketplace is NOT a good place to look for a breeder. Those are nothing more than paid advertisements.

A better place to look is HCA Marketplace (Havanese Club of America) although you have to be careful there too.

Have you heard of Nancy Whitehead of Haveneseinsocal.com? She seems legit but you never know. I will Google more.
Also, I'm in Carlsbad, CA not New York.
I would never purchase a dog from HavaneseinSoCal.

Here is what I suggest you do. Join the Havanese Club of Southern California (HCSC). Lisa of Ohana Havanese is our club president. She knows ALL the breeders in SoCal and most of the breeders in all of California. Contact her for recommendations on breeders. Come to our bi-monthly club meetings. You will meet some of the top breeders in SoCal at these meetings. You will also learn before anyone else who is planning a litter.

I know your Sophie of 16 years is irreplaceable and your heart feels like it will never mend but there is another Havanese out there with your name on it and just waiting for YOU to be their furever mama. Better days are ahead if you chose your breeder carefully and are patient for the right pup to come along.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much. I have an email to Lisa and will now check on joining the club. Very grateful fir this info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello

I am new to this forum and have already learned so much. I recently lost my Havanese companion of 16 years. She was a happy, healthy energetic and loving friend. I am still passing through the grieving stages and know I will want to adopt again. I registered with the AKC Marketplace and have emailed 15 breeders. I welcome any recommendations and suggestions or avoidance recommendations. One
Deborah, I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I know the feeling. On a more upbeat note, welcome to the Havanese Forum. I am fairly new as well and have gleaned sooooooooooo much for the other users. Based on recommendations on this site, I reached out to WyHaven Havanese and so far the breeder is so wonderfully communicative and very nice. These boards say that they are exceptional and so far, I have to say that I agree. If you haven't done so already, read any post on how to find a reputable breeder. Its all good stuff.

Again, welcome . . . and I hope your heart heals soon. (I can still find myself tearing up over my own doggie; he died two years ago.)

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Deborah, I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I know the feeling. On a more upbeat note, welcome to the Havanese Forum. I am fairly new as well and have gleaned sooooooooooo much for the other users. Based on recommendations on this site, I reached out to WyHaven Havanese and so far the breeder is so wonderfully communicative and very nice. These boards say that they are exceptional and so far, I have to say that I agree. If you haven't done so already, read any post on how to find a reputable breeder. Its all good stuff.

Again, welcome . . . and I hope your heart heals soon. (I can still find myself tearing up over my own doggie; he died two years ago.)
You couldn’t do better than Wyhaven. 😊

Reactions: Deborah Casher

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, thank you. The forum has been wonderful am so happy to be involved and have learned two very valuable things from about two breeders that I would otherwise not have known. I joined the Southern California Havanese Club today. As soon as I have some useful info, I will share. For now today’s take away I’ve left base camp and am on my way to the summit. When I can see more clearly, I will update everyone. Thanks for the tip about WyHaven. My hometown was New Haven CT. Maybe it’s a sign 😀. Many many thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
You couldn’t do better than Wyhaven. 😊
I learned that on this forum and will be forever grateful for the tip. I am on the waiting list. I don't know how many people are ahead of me. In my mind, there are hundreds and hundreds but that's okay. I will be an expectant mother for as long as it takes. That's my position now. E.Ann has been so sweet; she makes me want to wait.

Should I get some maternity outfits?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Hello

I recommend Kingskids Havanese in Tennessee. Carol’s an exceptional breeder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recommend Kingskids Havanese in Tennessee. Carol’s an exceptional breeder.
Thank you so koch for thhe tip.

I’ve been busy this week and can report I found a puppy!! She’s is coming from Amor Havenese north of Sacramento. I will be sending photos next week and will summarize “lessons learned”.

This forum has been amazing and i so very grateful to you all. Stay tuned 😀🙏

1 - 14 of 14 Posts