Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is jerry and we will be getting a new puppy in july, I was turned to this amazing breed by a friend, and I can't wait. nice to meet all of you.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
Welcome . So happy to hear you are getting a Havanese - your lfe will never be the same . These are wonderful little dogs . Do you have a name for your dog as yet ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the welcome, yes we are looking to find a male and call him "koda", we can't get him until after july 7th and it has been hard to find a local breeder that won't charge an arm and a leg. sorry I can't afford what they charge here in california, I am still looking for a good breeder here. but anyways sorry for rambling on. we are all excited.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You are right, this breed is wonderful, they aim to please and the literally stick to you, as they have been bred for companionship. These are highly intelligent dogs as well :) The only piece of advice I can offer, is research the breeder, PLEASE, you have to get almost anal about it. There have been unfortunate stories, of puppy buyers who have bought cute innocent puppies, and fallen in love of course, and these so-called breeders have not put any care into them. Some have been found to be very sick and have many complications. Not to scare you, but as Moptop recommended, if there are reputable breeders near you, I would consider looking into it. As for price, well, it all depends how you look at it. You could initially spend, what you may consider a small fortune with a reputable breeder, but what you will have reassurance of is the lineage and that they have put tremendous time and effort in the betterment of the breed. That translates into less potential ailments, physical problems and temperment problems - which, in turn save you that fortune in vet bills. Just be 100% sure of where and who you are purchasing your puppy from so you don't find yourself ( and puppy of course) in an unfortunate and heartbreaking situation. Jerdog, you are so welcome to this forum and do take advantage of the wonderful helpful people here. We are here to support one another and especially look out for the best interests of this breed. I sincerely wish you the best of luck :)

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Welcome jerdog,

you will find lots of information on this forum. If you can't find something just ask.;)

WhitBmom; Very well said.:)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Hi Jerdog and Welcome to the Forum. You will love this site almost as much as you love your puppy. I love the name you picked for your new furbaby - my white one is Kodi (shortened from Kodiak). Good luck and post lots of pictures when you can.
PS - has anyone told you yet about the Havanese addiction? It's called the "Potato Chip Syndrome" (Bet you can't have just one) :rolleyes: Just read the posts and you will see how many of us are on our 2nd and 3rd Hav. You have been warned. :D

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
Hi Jerry and welocme, :)

Havanese are the most amazing breed and I am having a really bad potatoe chip effect (can't have just one). But, hubby says with three dogs already and two aging Persians cats it ain't happening. Lately it's been amended to "for a while". :D

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Jerry, welcome! I am excited for you as well! July is a long way off, but before you know it, you will have your precious new pup.

I started that term "MHS - Multiple Hav Syndrome" on a Cdn. Havanese online group a while ago because of what everyone will tell you...... they are either like chips, peanuts or candy... terribly addictive! :) It's the perfect syndrome to suffer from I must admit. lol

I hope you will enjoy browsing through the threads here. There is a lot of info, advice and funny stories as well as pictures. Chat soon! :)

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Welcome.

Keep in mind though, that even though you might find a dog a little less expensive in another area.. you may end up paying 10 times that in medical bills later on.

There are lots of breeders who are reputable and fairly inexpensive. If you have until July, maybe contact some reputable breeders in your area and get on their waiting list for a pup that will be ready around then.. and then maybe make a payment plan with them. You have a while until July, so that gives you a bit of extra time to come up with the additional funds.

You also need to make sure that you have enough $ for medical expenses.. when you get the pup it will need at least routine care (shots, deworming, flea med, heart med, etc)

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Al: How do you get Derian's name to flash on the avatar picture?:)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
I'm guessing Al's avatar is a .gif which can be an animated image. I used to make sig tags for forum users and made a ton of animated images like that one. If you have Paint Shop Pro and JASC Animation you can make them from any image/photo. There are probably other programs out there that will do the same.

I wonder how Al did his.....

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
MHS - I do believe I am slowly coming down with that. Hubby is already on board with getting a second hav in the future. We just have to focus on fully training Oreo then we will see what our future holds :D

·
Jeanne
2,622 Posts
Welcome Jerry! I'm new too, but I can echo was JodiM said. I did alot of research on my recent Havanese, and went on only reputable breeders lists for a puppy. I bought a wonderful Havanese girl 8 1/2 years ago and loved her dearly. I tried to buy a pup from a breeder in Arizona back then, however the pup promised to me turned out to be a runt, and I declined fearing health problems. She then offered to connect me with a lady (non-breeder) that had her female bred to one of the breeder's males. I bought my Havanese from the breeder's acquaintance. They didn't test back then for anything but CERF, and my Havanese ended up with patellar luxation (both knees). That was bad enough, but she eventually died at 8 years old from liver disease. It broke our hearts, as we loved her so much. We were so careful with this recent purchase to make sure health tests had been done. Its worth the extra money, as we spent thousands trying to save our previous Havanese. Kimberly (Maddie's breeder) knew how anxious we were over health, and graciously offered to test her for liver disease and did a complete blood test and bile acid test on her. Plus, she had full tests on Maddie's parents. You can't guarantee the future, but you can increase the odds of a healthy dog. I'd rather wait awhile and save up the money to buy from a reputable breeder. Its so worth it. Good luck with your future pup! :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Welcome Jerry!I stumbled across this forum and absolutely am so delighted.I too am getting my new puppy soon,April 21 to be exact.I am hoping to get lots of useful info from this forum.
I have researched this breed from head to toe and was also looking for a breeder in my area,but with no success.My puppy will be flying to us when my husband picks him up at the airport.
Stay tuned for lots of pics when we get him.:)

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Hi Jerry!

Welcome to the Hav Forum! I'm in the same boat as you--being a Havanese hopeful. I'm also in CA and yes they can be expensive.
IMO--I feel it's better to spend my money on a dog from a quality breeder that does the proper health testing and starts my dogs life with love and care, rather than struggle with the unknown. There are many breeders out there that can offer you a dog for lower than the standard price but they are often lower quality animals. I've been really looking into things for some months now and it's shocking just how much is being charged for "purebred" or "designer" dogs. Dogs are currently big business and there are alot of people out there looking to make a quick buck and let me tell you the $$ is their main concern and not you or the dogs they are selling. :( Many will make claims their dogs are healthy and purebred...but without the proper paperwork you only have there word on it. Since you have some time before you get your dog, I would encourage you to look into it a bit more. I hope you find a wonderful dog for your family. **I hope I get one too! :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts