Havanese Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow dog lovers,

Here’s my obligatory intro post! :smile2:

Well, after much research, and 9 mos after losing my sweet Daisy of 14 yrs, my family and I are looking to bring a new furry member, hopefully a Havanese, into our family.

I have reached out to one breeder in nearby NH that I found on the Havanese Club breeder but no guarantees as they are looking to retire from breeding, so here I am. From what I’ve read thus far you all seem to be honest folks that are genuinely interested in discussion of your Havanese companions. I’ve been warned of scammers so my hope was I’d get some decent information here of the breed, the community, and crossing fingers, breeders in New England.

I’m a mom to one lovely 14 yr old daughter, wife to the usual car-loving, Boston sports fan guy, and I’m an Hr Mgr (16 yrs) in a large medical care company.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond in advance.

~Lele

·
Metrowest, MA
26,723 Posts
Hi Lele! :welcome:

We are also in NE, west of Boston to be more specific. There are a number of excellent breeders in NE, and a couple to avoid. Most of the NE breeders have just finished with litters in the last couple of months. Arborway (Elinor Horner) will be expecting on just before Easter, but she has a long waiting list. She MAY breed back for a second litter this year, but I am not sure. Meadowview (Karen Duprat)is also expecting a late spring litter. Newport Nauti (Elizabeth O’Meara) may also have another litter in the fall. I am not sure about Quickstep (Pam Sowa). Most of the others are done for the season, and not currently accepting additions to their waiting lists, just because they do not have formed plans for another litter yet.

High demand has lead to long waiting lists right now!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and great information on local breeders, krandall! You’re a great voucher for the breed as I see in your signature you have 3!

I have spoken with a few people that have had the breed in the past and everything has been quite positive. The Havanese check off all the items that fit best with our family so if we can make it happen eventually, we’ll be able help fill the hole we’re still feeling. Our last little girl, Daisy, was a stray (Chi/Pom mix) that had begun hanging around our neighborhood and after unsuccessfully trying to find her owners we decided to keep her but she had a lot of behavior issues (vet thought she was abused) that we just worked around where even training only went so far. Regardless, we loved her for 13 yrs and were devastated when we had to put her down last May. She had become quite ill with heart murmur and kidney disease. I’ll try to upload a pic.

I’ve been researching breeders and only came up with a couple in RI in the NE area. I decided to learn as much as I could as I had read disturbing things about some out in PA, similar to puppy mills and inbreeding. Very sad, but made me realize I’d rather wait as long as it takes vs rushing and feeding onto something like that. I had no idea on all the other breeders you mentioned. Do you by chance know how I might be able to locate contact info or if they have websites? I had checked AKC, Havanese Club and the like and only came up with that 1 breeder in NH that is retiring and may not be a viable source.

Thanks again!
Lele

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
She’s really pretty! I’m sorry you went through that. You’re right, it will definitely be worth the wait.

I’m predicting that the increased interest in puppies is finally going to level off. I might be wrong :) I think there will still be more interest in puppies than there was 2 years ago because there are people who will be working remotely on a more permanent basis, and a lot of people made changes during this time and bought houses, etc. but I think it will be less opportunistic, for lack of a better word. It seems like when people settle in and are okay with waiting, it ends up working out faster than they think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh absolutely, EvaE1izabeth, great point, the pandemic has for sure had an impact in people looking more at animal companionship where perhaps before it wasn’t do-able being away from the home all day. Crossing fingers 🤞 you are right about things settling down.

For us, we needed to have time to heal from losing our girl, but pandemic or no, we knew we’d want to have another another dog in our family, and this time get the chance to socialize from the start. God knows what Daisy went through before she found us. Luckily, there’s enough of us in the home, as my mother also lives with us to make it a conducive environment to train and care for a pup or a young dog.

Thanks so much for the encouragement! 👍

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome! We're still waiting to pick up our puppy but I wanted to give you the same encouragement that the community did for me. What EvaE1izabeth said has been true for my family....once we settled in and came to terms with the long wait ahead of us for the right puppy, things started falling in place for us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We hail from New England too and just got our Havanese from Wilshy Kennel. We were very pleased with the breeder and our Phinney has been a wonderful boy thus far. We’ve had him since October. She’s a small breeder in New Hampshire. This is the second Wilshy dog in the family. She is also a member of The Havanese Club of America.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We hail from New England too and just got our Havanese from Wilshy Kennel. We were very pleased with the breeder and our Phinney has been a wonderful boy thus far. We've had him since October. She's a small breeder in New Hampshire. This is the second Wilshy dog in the family. She is also a member of The Havanese Club of America.
Hi there! He is such a precious little boy! That's great to hear, I will definitely check that breeder out. Could you PM me the contact info or if there's a website?

Thank you so for for sharing that information, much appreciated! :tea:

·
Metrowest, MA
26,723 Posts
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and great information on local breeders, krandall! You're a great voucher for the breed as I see in your signature you have 3!

I have spoken with a few people that have had the breed in the past and everything has been quite positive. The Havanese check off all the items that fit best with our family so if we can make it happen eventually, we'll be able help fill the hole we're still feeling. Our last little girl, Daisy, was a stray (Chi/Pom mix) that had begun hanging around our neighborhood and after unsuccessfully trying to find her owners we decided to keep her but she had a lot of behavior issues (vet thought she was abused) that we just worked around where even training only went so far. Regardless, we loved her for 13 yrs and were devastated when we had to put her down last May. She had become quite ill with heart murmur and kidney disease. I'll try to upload a pic.

I've been researching breeders and only came up with a couple in RI in the NE area. I decided to learn as much as I could as I had read disturbing things about some out in PA, similar to puppy mills and inbreeding. Very sad, but made me realize I'd rather wait as long as it takes vs rushing and feeding onto something like that. I had no idea on all the other breeders you mentioned. Do you by chance know how I might be able to locate contact info or if they have websites? I had checked AKC, Havanese Club and the like and only came up with that 1 breeder in NH that is retiring and may not be a viable source.

Thanks again!
Lele
PM me and I can give you their contacts!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts