Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I suddenly realized that I have tons of nicknames for Mia and rarely call her by her actual name. Just wondering if others have nicknames for their Hav. Here are some of mine for Mia:

Flufferdoodle
Sweet Sweet Pie
Puff Tail
Mini Mia
Piglet Wiglet (Mia LOVES food)
Black Eyed Beauty
Tiny Girl
Precious Wescious

Fuzz Bottom
Snake Tongue (she has freakishly long tongue)
Feisty Fart
Ears (when those Papillon ears pop up)
Cling On Girl (when she gets a dingle berry!)
Pain in Butt Dog (rarely but applicable at times)

Princess Mia
Queen of Sheba
Fuss Budget Baby Girl
Snifferdoodle
Barker Baby
Rumpety Rump Rump (Mia has a very “womanly” rump!) also called Chunky Butt

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
Kodi is:

Monkey
Monkey dog
The Flying Swiffer (this name was given to him by the other obedience and rally competitors in our area Because of his "flying finishes" see photo below)
Baby Boy
The Master Forger

Panda is:

Pandamonium
Brat baby
Skunk face (Dave calls her that)
Baby Girl
Cutie Pie
Swishy Tail
Swishy Butt
Loud Mouth

Pixel is:

Baby Doll
Pix
Cutie
BAY...beeeee!!!!
DAH....liiiinnn!!!!
Sweetie Pie
Honey Bunny

Attachments

·
Banned
3,973 Posts
People in Mexico have no idea who Ricky Ricardo is, so they call him Ricky Martin, who is very popular in Mexico.

I have only one nickname for him and that is "amigo" and that says it all for the two of us and our relationship (it means much more than "friend"). Ricky only knows me by "popi."

Momi calls him:
Little Prince
Snaggletooth
Ricky Rocket
Fish Breath

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
The only time I ever call mine by his real name, Sundance, is if I’m trying to get his attention. We really should have named him Puppy. Even though he’s 2, we all still call him Sweet Puppy pretty much all of the time, and we always refer to him as Puppy. The amazing thing is that even though we call him Buddy, Sweet Boy, Sweet Puppy, and Sundance, he answers to every nickname!

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Shamabamabobamabananabana ...
Shama, Shama, Shama, Shama Shameleon
Sweet Baby Shama (bah, bah, bah)
Here She Comes, Miss Shamerica
Sweet Pea
Baby Doll
Baby Girl
Munchkin
Munchabunch

(Great idea for a thread!)

Asked DH to make a list of what he calls Shama. Here's his list:
Booboo
Little Bear
Baby Doll (the only overlap with my list)
Shmoopy
Wiggle Butt
Baby Bear
Foofer
Sham-Sham
Shama-Llama

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet Pea
Baby Doll

In comparison, I only have one nickname for my yorkie...THE BEAST!!!!! I am wondering if people have as many nicknames for breeds other than Havanese!!!

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
This is a cute thread. After I had Willow for awhile, I started thinking that she didn't really know what her name was. She wouldn't respond when I used "Willow". Don't know if it was selective hearing or she really didn't know her name. I rarely was calling her Willow and was using one of her "nicknames" most of the time. I made a conscious decision to start using her name more frequently just so she would know who she was!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a cute thread. After I had Willow for awhile, I started thinking that she didn't really know what her name was. She wouldn't respond when I used "Willow". Don't know if it was selective hearing or she really didn't know her name. I rarely was calling her Willow and was using one of her "nicknames" most of the time. I made a conscious decision to start using her name more frequently just so she would know who she was!
Ahhh...selective hearing. I think mine definitely have that. However, they seem to always "hear" if I have a treat in my hand, no matter what I call them.

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
I just added nine more names after consulting DH. I've noticed that we never call her by her registered name, which is "Chamallow Brûlé," meaning "burnt marshmallow" or anything related to "burnt" or "marshmallow." I guess I never call her anything French either, even though her name is French ... (Something I learned in a class at some point: Only say your dog's name with joy in your voice. It's along the lines of only ever calling your dog to you when something good is about to happen, so that they always want to come to you. If you're going to plunk her in the pen to leave the house, don't call her to you, just go pick her up - unless you have a command along the lines of "kennel up!")

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just added nine more names after consulting DH. I've noticed that we never call her by her registered name, which is "Chamallow Brûlé," meaning "burnt marshmallow" or anything related to "burnt" or "marshmallow." I guess I never call her anything French either, even though her name is French ... (Something I learned in a class at some point: Only say your dog's name with joy in your voice. It's along the lines of only ever calling your dog to you when something good is about to happen, so that they always want to come to you. If you're going to plunk her in the pen to leave the house, don't call her to you, just go pick her up - unless you have a command along the lines of "kennel up!")
I added more names to my list as well. And there are probably many more I am not thinking of! Odd thing is I picked a short name - MIA - so no one would use nicknames!!!!!!! :crying:

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
Sweet Pea
Baby Doll
Baby Girl
Munchkin
Munchabunch

Asked DH to make a list of what he calls Shama. Here's his list:
Booboo
Little Bear
Baby Doll (the only overlap with my list)
Shmoopy
Wiggle Butt
Baby Bear
Foofer
Sham-Sham
Shama-Llama
LOVE this list!!! <3

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
We never call any of ours their registered names either. I'm sure they have no idea what they are! But coming from horses, where ALL horses have registered (or "show") names and then completely different stable names, that wasn't any different for me. The horse I still have is Oliver to us, and his registered name is KJL Thief of Hearts. My son's old Appy was Mista Spot, but at home, he was Dillon. (usually shortened to "Dilly" ;) )

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
I added more names to my list as well. And there are probably many more I am not thinking of! Odd thing is I picked a short name - MIA - so no one would use nicknames!!!!!!! :crying:
LOL!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
(Something I learned in a class at some point: Only say your dog's name with joy in your voice. It's along the lines of only ever calling your dog to you when something good is about to happen, so that they always want to come to you. If you're going to plunk her in the pen to leave the house, don't call her to you, just go pick her up - unless you have a command along the lines of "kennel up!")
Thanks for the reminder. I know that, but I think I tend to forget. It's like my mother saying "JACQUELINE!" instead of Jackie. I always knew I was in trouble if she used my real name.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At some point, I'm going to have to go through this thread and get some new nicknames for our little sweetie pie (which is another name I use but only remembered when I read it in someone else's post ...)
I have updated my list a few times. I did not realize I had so many nicknames for her!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts