Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was told there was a suspicion that our new boy, Sammy, might have some Yorkshire in him and I have to admit my surprise at just how tiny he was when we first saw him yesterday. He weighs 8 lbs, and I know there are many Havs that weigh the same or even less at almost 8 mths. of age, but with Ricky being 15 lbs at the same age, I'm just not used to Sammy's size! lol

I've been reassured that there are Havanese that are this small, with this type of hair as well... it's straight and thin whereas Ricky's is very thick and wavy. I wonder what they'd both look like sopping wet!!! Probably a lot more alike than not! LOL :rolleyes:

I was, maybe still am, a little concerned about having such a small dog around. There's the fear he will get stepped on and might be more fragile than I'd like, but that could just be worrying for nothing. I am tall though and have big feet!! :eek:

Sammy is such a cutie and very sweet. He's not shy and has been playing with Ricky, though not quite as much as Ricky would like. Ricky will teach him a few things, I'm sure... like playing fetch. Sammy is playful and seems very comfortable in his new surroundings already. For a pup that wasn't used to sleeping in a crate, he climbed into his new one here 3 times today for a nap! :D

I did find out that the Hungarian breeder where Sammy's parents are also raise Yorkshire Terriers, so maybe something happened at one point... I dunno. I'm not overly concerned about that since I didn't expect a 100% Havanese, nor did I pay for one, with his previous owners simply charging us what they paid to get him.

Maybe once he blows his puppy coat, he'll have that Hav look a little more. He's definitely on the petite side!

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Hi Marj, I had the same feelings about Cash (although he was 12 weeks when we got him) He was not at all what I expected. I think I wrote here that I thought he looked like a skunk and waddled. And I thought he was terrorizing my 15 lb Jassy even htough he was soooo tiny.

But now that they are best buddies--- and he has grown into his body (and I have trimmed him to my liking) I find him adorable. And, I have to say I have been 2nd guessing our decision to get another bigger Hav (and he will be a big one) because these past few weeks between 10 and 12 lbs Cash has just been the most delisious cuddle-bunny.

I think the new pictures of Sammy are adorable.....and what a good boy he is being for you.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Hi Marj
Kodi isn't a big Hav either. He is 15 mos and only weighs 10 lbs. He is my little man. But Shelby is 8 lbs at only 5 mos. Her breeder said she would be on the big side, and she is. When they stand side-by-side, she is almost as long as Kodi, but she is shorter. And they both have different hair types - Kodi is very wavy and Shelby is straight. Go figure :rolleyes:

·
Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
2,349 Posts
Missy, Izzy "waddled" when we got her too. I really thought she looked like a guinea pig from the top! She's grown a little now and looks more like a Hav., but she is petite. Her coat is straight and I had only seen wavy coated Havanese, so I just wasn't sure what I had!! She's such a good little girl that I've gotten past all of the comparisons and just see her for herself now. She wasn't what I thought I wanted in size, coat, etc., but now she's just perfect!!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments and encouragement. I guess it's just that I'm not all that crazy about tiny dogs. No offense to those that have them of course, but I just dont' want a nervous type, or a dog that I have to always watch where I'm stepping, know what I mean? If I accidentally step on Sammy, there's a high chance I'll break something - really! Ricky, on the other hand is a tough cookie and quite solid at his 15 lbs and with his bone structure.

I had a surprise visit from an aunt this a.m. and both dogs were barking like mad. :rolleyes: Sammy trembled for a couple of minutes after she and I sat down the kitchen. I think I'm going to have to get him out and socializing with people ASAP! He's used to cats, dogs and children, but it's a whole world out there and it will be good to get him used to that. He's starting to 'gruff' and even has a tiny bark, but I'm HOPING he's not as yappy as Ricky! :eek:

In spite of all this, I can see the boys are really enjoying each other and they had an absolute blast this afternoon! Sammy still won't always want to play when Ricky does, but more often today than yest. , so I'm sure they'll get used to each other in no time. They ran inside and outside quite a bit, so I know they'll be sleeping like babes tonight. :D

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
When we first picked up Dora my mother in law said "wow she has a nose like a possum!" I was like wait you are right, but she grew into herself too. She had a slight ugly duckling stage around 8 months!

8lbs isn't that small. According the havanese health survey average for 1 to 2 year old havanese is 10.5 for a female and 12.4 for a male. Your havanese is still a puppy so he has some growing to do.

Okay, my maltese is 4 and a 1/2lbs at 4 years old so I am a bit biased about little dogs! But I have never stepped on her... kicked her a few times but it is amazing how she reads body language! Dora is 2 years old and 10.5lbs but she competes and does agility so she has no fat on her. She could probably stand to gain some weight

I am sure no matter what your dog is/isnt.. .he has a great home!

Amanda

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Hi Marj,

It sounds like Sammy is settling nicely in his new home. I'm sure will "grow" on you in no time. He will learn to stay away from your "big feet" your words not mine. Maybe you should do agility like Amanda and her maltese, so he learns to move quickly. Unfortunately, they seem to always pick up the bad behaviors like barking and not the good ones.;)

Have fun with your boys:)

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,356 Posts
Marj,

Your puppy will grow on you and pertty soon you will not notice how small he is. :) I am not sure if at 8 months he will grow more (height wise), but he will fill out. His coat might change as wel when he goes through is coat change.

When I first got Bugsy, he coat was really fine and super steight and his tail..... don't even get me started on his tail!!! It was long and lightly covered with think hair and you could see the skin. My kids called it a rat's tail. But at 5 1/2 months the hair started to change so much that we had to cut all the lon baby hair. The new hair was growing in really thick and noticably wavy (not curly). He now has a nice coat, but I've been told by the experts that this might just be his adolescent coat and that he will go through a coat blowing faze (which I think he is starting cause he mats) and it will actually get better. So, there is hope for puppies with fine hair. :)

Best,

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I adore Ollies size - not a nervous little dog at all - he is confident - fun - perky and smart as a dickens... 8 lbs - 8 months...

Catherine

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Marj, I was nervous too about Houston. I just couldn't remember when my Cairn was that small. I think once you get him the size won't matter. The love and kisses will. Small dogs learn fast not to be under you feet. LOL. Houston usually ends up standing behind me and I am wondering where he went. LOL. I think you just have the new mommy jitters. Its normal.

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Marj, who told you that Sammy might have some yorkshire in him? Just curious if it was the breeder or just someone speculating! He's a real cutie pie! Vicki

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. I'm new to this forum. My 14 month old, Mia, just finished her AKC Championship on March 3rd. I'm thinking about training her for agility if I can find classes or some kind of training in my area. I'm in southwest Michigan. Know of anyone in this part of Michigan where I can get info?-Dee

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello. I'm new to this forum. My 14 month old, Mia, just finished her AKC Championship on March 3rd. I'm thinking about training her for agility if I can find classes or some kind of training in my area. I'm in southwest Michigan. Know of anyone in this part of Michigan where I can get info?-Dee
Hi Dee! Welcome to the forum. :)

You might try posting a new thread in the "Training" forum. I don't think anyone will see your request here.... Go to "Havanese Discussions" and you should see the "Training, etc..." forum where you can post a new thread. You are sure to get some answers there. Good luck!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marj, who told you that Sammy might have some yorkshire in him? Just curious if it was the breeder or just someone speculating! He's a real cutie pie! Vicki
Thank you, Vicki! He is a cutie although I'm not crazy about the cut bangs. I think I'll let them grow and see how that looks, keep them tied up if I can. I do love that you can see his lovely eyes though.

A mutual acquaintance from a Hav list connected me with Sammy's owner because she was looking to place him in a pet home. He came from Hungary with another Hav. from another litter at the same breeders. With 2 females, she was hoping Sammy could breed them, but they realized he was quite small and didn't quite have the Hav. look, although they say his personality and how he acts/plays is very "Havanese". Both the acquaintance as well as his owners agreed that maybe he had a bit of Yorkie in him.

I'm not sure if they knew that the Hungarian breeder also breeds Yorkies, but I did find that out on their website, so they likely knew, which may explain their suspicions. His petite body, his straight, silky hair and his very short, but still curly tail aren't quite near the standard of the Hav. He doesn't have that 'square' form Havs do, nor their toughness. His colors aren't at all Yorkie though. We have no proof that he might be Yorkie or anything else. The breeders say he comes from a Hav. dam and sire and they are at this link:

his dam: http://www.havanesegallery.hu/show_dog_en.php?id=17441

and his sire: http://www.havanesegallery.hu/show_dog_en.php?id=17384

They are very pretty, have their championships and are health-tested. Thing is, Sammy doesn't look anything like any of the Havs in their pedigrees. Hence, the suspicion...... I've learned that there are many varieties of Havanese, diff. hair types, sizes, body frame, but I still haven't seen any pic of any other Hav that's like Sammy! He hasn't blown his puppy coat, so maybe it will thicken up, maybe it will give him more of the Hav apperance. I don't know.

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Thanks for filling in the blanks Marj! Were you aware of any of this before you made your decision to get Sammy or after you brought him home? I agree with everyone before me that has said even if they found out something was not quite up to par with their new hav pup there is NO WAY they would return them! I had that decision once on a Lhaso I bought....My suspicions were that it was a yorkie mix. Once I got her home and was all attached I couldn't part with her. Ended up I did have to give her away to a friend because she would "torment" my bichon...she would jump on her back and bite her ears(as hard as she could until she would yelp!) and she would literally "guard" the food bowl and not let her eat. My bichon is very laid back so she wouldn't assert herself. I really had no choice. Anyway, that's probably more info than you wanted but I understand how you feel! I know he will be a great little pal for your other boy and everything will work out fine!:) Vicki

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Marj:

I looked at the pictures of Sammy's mom and dad. It is hard to tell by the picture but they do look to be on the small side.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vicki, that's too bad about having to let that one go. :( Ricky can be a little rough on Sammy, but then Sammy turns around and sometimes gives back as good as he takes! :)

Yup, Debbie, I think you're right. His dam certainly looks quite small. Sammy has the same cream on the lower face, chest and feet that his sire has.

We really do love our little Sammy boy. He is a wonderful addition to our family and in fact yesterday I was quite grateful for his thinner and straighter coat since it only took me all of 5 minutes to comb him, but it took almost a half hour to comb Ricky! :eek: :D I gave Ricky a bath last night and it took FOREVER to comb out his tangles..... sigh...... Thankfully it's warming up outside so I dont' have to bother blow drying too long, just a few minutes instead of the hour I'm sure it would take to do it thoroughly. Phew! :rolleyes:

I posted more pics this morning.

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Yes it was difficult but had to do it for my poor bichon's peace of mind and safety.....her name was Minnie and she was black & white....she was adorable except she had a streak! vicki

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't want to hijack the July Photo Challenge thread too much, but some of you asked about Sammy, so I'll try and explain what I mean when I say he may not be all Havanese. His Hungarian breeder insists he is and has sent me the pedigree papers, but in our eyes Sammy is either the 'runt' of a Havanese litter or simply not the Standard or there is some Maltese to him.

"Marj - I'm curious about Sammy - what features does he have that are Maltese-like? He is beautiful - he reminds me a bit of my puppy, Scout, in his coloring."

When you see Sammy in person, he really does not completely look like the typical Havanese exc. his coloring. I mean, Sammy has some Hav features but they are all a little 'off', his tail is corkscrew and wound tight, he is too long for his height, his head is quite small and not squarish and his muzzle is too pointed and long ("snipe-like" they call it), his eyes are small. His hair is single coat and thin with barely a wave to it.

He weighs 9 lbs., which is a good avg. weight, but Sammy is not the typical "tough dog in a small body" that most Havanese are. He runslikehell just like the best of them though and that's something we don't see in most breeds. It's your typical Hav trait.

I don't care whether Sammy is "pure" Havanese or not. He is neutered and won't be bred. He is playful, not at all fussy about where he'll sleep and follows us (esp. me) everywhere. He and Ricky get along GREAT and it's been an absolute joy adding Sammy to our family. :)

What he has that makes us think there might be Maltese is the coat, the tail and the shape of his head, but not the muzzle. The fact the Hungarian breeder also breeds Maltese and Yorkies has us wondering..... but again, he is pretty much Hav, just not to the Standard in many ways. We are CONSTANTLY asked what breed Sammy is, why is so much smaller than Ricky, why his coat is so different, his face, shape and build. It's getting a little annoying!!

I am really looking forward to a Havanese picnic organized in Ontario Aut. 11th because there will be from 20-40 Havs in one place, maybe more. How cool is that? :) I will see all the different Havs and just how different some can be. I have to say, though, that I have yet to see any picture anywhere of any Hav that looks like Sammy. so there you go............ :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts