Havanese Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Halo's Mom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all of you. The question is "How do I get Halo to pay attention to us when we say her name?" She is 3 months old and seems to have a mind of her own.

My husband and I will say "Halo NO" "Halo anything" and she will not even look at us let alone stop what she is doing or come or anything. She just keeps on walking or keeps on doing whatever. It is just like she ignores us.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. In March Halo and I will be attending puppy kindergarten and maybe this will help. I just don't know.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Debbie, I know how you feel. I'm thinking of having Shelby BAER tested. (I'm having a tough time finding a place, though.) She does the same thing. Then she will start barking because there is someone walking outside. She has to go to the vet this week and I am going to ask him. I think it is just selective hearing, just like kids.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
We just hired a trainer for the two older girls and she gave us excercises (homework) to do this week with regard to the attention. When the dogs are hungry, take their favorite treats, get them to sit but put the treat behind your back. We also use a clicker. Start 5x before any training just clicking the clicker & immed. treating. They start to learn that clicking means treat. then they want to do something so they can hear the click & get a treat. Once they sit for you, put the clicker & treat behind your back after you show it to them. (while you are standing) get them to look you in the eye. If they look at you for 3 seconds, click & treat. If they wonder to look at your hand behind your back, wait until they look at your eye again. 3 seconds, click & treat. Eventually you increase the time. My guys are up to 10 seconds. That apparently helps them concentrate on you.
I look down at them and say "Lily look at mommy" and she does it - then I click & treat. So they start to asssociate you saying their name & treats. I has worked for us. Hope I made sense:rolleyes:
Laurie

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
Debbie,
Puppy classes will make all the differance in the world! The dogs actual mind in puppy class. Trust me it will solve alot of your problems. But until you get in a class try this; Put Halo on a leash, with a training colar and instruct her to sit use the leash and colar to help you get Halo to do the things you want. This will get her attention, on the leash walk with her, make her sit, make her come to you by command. She doesn't listen now because she doesn't have too. Give her treats she really likes when she does good.

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
Attention is something that definetly takes a lot of time to establish, long after your dog knows their name. My dogs definetly know their name and will generally look at me for a minute after I say it. But both of them have been through obedience style attention training. I use the command "watch me" and they know to continue to look at my face until I release them or give them another command. It also has some practical uses, as when I use this when I dont want them distracted with other dogs, busy areas, etc.

A start to training this is to actually get on your knees with a cookie in your hand. I would place the cookie near my face and say "watch me!" When the dog looks at my face "Yes, good watch me" then treat. Eventually have the dog watch you for longer periods of times, and slowly remove the cookie. Then stand up. Make sure to not do this for too long with such small dogs who have to bend their necks up at you to stare in your direction

Amanda

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
What I have done with all my dogs is treating them when ever I call them at first. I say "Sam" he looks at me and I give him a treat. In the beginning I don't worry about him sitting, just looking at me. The moment he does he gets a treat. For the first few weeks I will give a treat everytime he comes to me when I say his name. I never say his name when he is doing something he shouldn't. "Sam" and "No" are never in the same sentence. His name is always a good thing. If he is doing something wrong I use "uh uh" or some other noise to get his attention. NEVER. NEVER, call your dog for something bad, like having his nails cut or to correct him for any reason. That only teaches him not to trust you. Their name should only be used for happy things. (Treats) I always have a pocket full of treats and Sam now knows it. When they get older only give a treat some of the time. But don't be predictable. These a smart little guys they will fiqure out if you give a treat every third time. They will listen every third time. The main thing is to have fun with your pup. I hope this helps:)

·
Halo's Mom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are the GREATEST !!! Thanks for all of the helpful tips that I will be putting into action. I have had Halo for just about a month now. I know that she can hear us as she will sometimes pay attention to us.

I will let all of you know how the tips that you gave me go. I just needed a little bit of advise and you all came in to help me which I can not thank-you enough.

:)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Welcome, Debbie! Halo looks adorable!

I agree with how to train your dog to look at you. Laurie, Amanda and Debbie B. all have the same idea.... positive re-enforcement. You will learn a lot at puppy school - so long as it's a good one that doesn't ever punish. Good luck! It's still early yet. Your sweetie will pay attention to you once you show her just how 'attractive' you are with those treats! lol

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
;) This will sound simple compared to others posts,but we would sit on the floor,one on one side of the room,one on the other.Then we each had treats(broken tiny,tiny bits)and called,Quincy come...he got a treat.Then the other called Quincy come,etc.No other words.This taught him his name and taught him "come." Quincy was older too......16 weeks when we got him.He learned that Quincy was his name.He paid attention because it meant a treat.We have never had trouble since.When we say Quincy,he looks.
Hope this helps.Oh,we did this over and over for probably a week,though he had it after the first 4 times or so on day 1.
When you take Halo to the vet,I'd have him double check the ears to make sure hearing is good and there are no infections or anything.:cool:

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Julie, I really like that idea and want to try it. My only problem is that with three there is going to be a lot of running around!! Thanks for the idea.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
It is really easy,and they enjoy it as you clap and encourage them.We did this one on one though,when Vinnie was in another room or outside.:)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I had the same problem when I went to see the puppy this weekend. The breeder said to say his name in a higher pitch and it worked. I guess their Mom's call them in a high pitch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to get Halo's ears checked as others have suggested. Try different kinds of noise such as clapping of hands or some sort of distraction and see if Halo responds by looking in your direction. In my opinion, It seems this breed loves to play and has an abundance of energy and seems to ignore anyone if they don't think play is involved.

For the first couple of weeks, I also thought Derian had some sort of hearing problem. No matter how loud you called his name he wouldn't even look towards anyone as he went about playing in the yard. Soon after giving him alot of play times during the day of letting him chase his favorite rubber chicken and rubber ball which I would throw and letting him play attack my pants legs and shoe laces, He comes running no matter what someone shouts LOL. Most the time all it takes is the storm door handle opening and he runs like hell thinking you might just decide to leave him outside by his lonesome LOL.

I sure hope Halo is just fine with his hearing. Keep us updated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts