Havanese Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13 year old sleeps in upstairs hallway. Louis has the run of the house at night. For the last 6-8 months he will pee on the floor in the living room, in the middle of the night. We had carpet until recently removed and sub flooring now until hardwood installation in 10 days. Louis always goes outside right before bedtime. Six months ago I took him to the vet and numerous tests performed and all normal . Vet did give him antibiotics for 10 days just in case he had a UTI. So frustrating! Any ideas on why he may be peeing in the middle of the night ?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
In older dogs, increased urination might be a sign of kidney disease (or a lot of other things). However, I assume that your vet has ruled out the most obvious causes. You might consider a belly band for night time, if it continues to be a problem. Also, be sure to clean the soiled areas well, so that the scent does not linger and prompt additional soiling. It might just be an unavoidable aging issue (e.g., bladder weakness, loss of housetraining skills). Boo, who is 18, sleeps for about 6-7 hours before he becomes uncomfortable and needs to urinate. I've adjusted my schedule to fit his needs, and no accidents.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I think it’s more common with age, even without a particular diagnosis. But there was a thread recently where people discussed how to manage it, because often they are still relatively healthy and active otherwise. This is a test to see if I can find it on the new forum ;)

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Our daughter's Goodle-doodle recently started experiencing some urinary incontinence. She's 10-years-old. In Human years that's around 75 for a Golden Retriever or 65 for a Standard Poodle. ;)

She'll dribble on her bed where she lays but yesterday there was a big wet area. DD thinks Lucy's being lazy and not going outside. I'm thinking Lucy may have some type of bladder or a UTI - urinary tract infection.

I've, also, recommended she make Lucy go outside more often.

Our son had a Labra-doodle who developed dementia in old age and they had problems with him peeing in the house.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,723 Posts
Our daughter's Goodle-doodle recently started experiencing some urinary incontinence. She's 10-years-old. In Human years that's around 75 for a Golden Retriever or 65 for a Standard Poodle. ;)

She'll dribble on her bed where she lays but yesterday there was a big wet area. DD thinks Lucy's being lazy and not going outside. I'm thinking Lucy may have some type of bladder or a UTI - urinary tract infection.

I've, also, recommended she make Lucy go outside more often.

Our son had a Labra-doodle who developed dementia in old age and they had problems with him peeing in the house.
Urinary incontinence is also not that uncommon in spayed bitches. The fact that she is peeing in her sleep makes me think this is VERY likely what is going on. That is a classic sign. There are meds that can help with it, so a talk with the vet could be in order.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Urinary incontinence is also not that uncommon in spayed bitches. The fact that she is peeing in her sleep makes me think this is VERY likely what is going on. That is a classic sign. There are meds that can help with it, so a talk with the vet could be in order.
Thanks for the feedback and reinforcement on the issue. I've now gotten pushy on the issue. I haven't paid much attention as Lucy lives on the other side of the house in my daughters area. Nicole commented that Lucy had some pee dribbles where she was laying and had placed a protective, washable carpeting in that area saying it was - "do to being an Old Lady. A few days ago Nicole washing a Lucy's bed which had a Huge! wet spot. Lucy's bed sits on top of the protective carpet area

Apparently, it's not all the time but it's frequent and the large urine spot for me is a Red Flag it's likely a UTI that has gotten worse. Now to get her to the Vet.

·
Member (Teresa)
663 Posts
Hi jstevens30,
JoJo started doing that 2 years ago when he was 13 Also. We ended up using belly bands for him at night. He needs one most of the time now but we use the disposable kind at night because it keeps him dryer. Has Louis had his SDMA level tested? If there's a kidney issue it will show sooner with that test than an abnormal creatinine level. Cotton is 11 and his is 16 mg/dl compared to a normal range of 0-14 and he is doing great. How is Louis doing so far with the antibiotics? It's definitely a frustrating issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts