Havanese Forum banner

Oliver has Hemangiosarcoma...

2170 Views 63 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  Newfie and Cally
Hi all, my beloved Oliver was 100% healthy and happy three days ago, then he had a strange kind of syncope event. He went all stiff and cramped up and his eyes were flickering. It only lasted about 30 seconds, but he was very confused after and couldn't walk without falling over. I took him to the vet the next morning and they did x-rays and bloodwork and he was anemic and had low platelets (31k). They did a transfusion and his RBC's are at 40%, but his platelet count has only gone from 31k to 36k since Saturday. He has a mass on his spleen which had fluid, but has since absorbed back in his body. I have to make a decision to go with a risky surgery, which he may not survive, and the subsequent chemo and recovery, to get maybe 4-5 months more, or bring him home today and give him a loving sendoff. I'm torn apart making this decision. I can't risk losing him in surgery, but even if he made it I don't want to put him through all that. Without the surgery his tumor could rupture at any time, so I would have to say goodbye in the next few days to not risk that.
Has anyone had this situation with their dog? I'm just beyond heartbroken. He's everything to me. Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Working animal
See less See more
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
1 - 2 of 64 Posts
I went through this in March with my Miniature Poodle, Cali. She was 11 1/2 years old. She had an episode of violent vomiting and then a semi collapse. By the time I got her to the vet, she seemed back to herself albeit weak. Bloodwork showed her to be extremely anemic. A week later, an abdominal ultrasound revealed a mass on her spleen. My vet said she was bleeding internally and that the spleen could rupture. There was no way to know when that would happen.

At her age, I was not going to put her through a surgery. I could have put her on Metacam which had been shown to slow tumour growth and hopefully keep her a little longer. My vet said that she could give me some medication to keep on hand so that if the spleen did rupture, I could administer the medication which would basically knock her unconscious until I could get her to the vet to be euthanized.

I had her put to sleep the day after I got the ultrasound results and talked them over with my vet. After seeing the pain she was in when she initially collapsed, I just could not take the chance of her spleen rupturing and her experiencing even worse pain. She was such a wonderful dog, she didn’t deserve to go like that. I opted for a swift, peaceful passing.

Only you can decide what is best based on your own dog’s condition. I’m so sorry for what you’re going through right now. I have a lovely new puppy, but the pain of losing my Cali girl is still with me.
See less See more
  • Like
  • Heartfelt Love
Reactions: 5
So very sorry. 😢 As hard as it was, you did the right thing for your boy.
  • Heartfelt Love
Reactions: 1
1 - 2 of 64 Posts