Havanese Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Orijen small breed ‘kibbles’? The food they were on is sometimes hard to get lately.
The ingredients seem great but I was wondering if 38% protein is too high for 1 yr and 2 yr old dog and my daughter is getting a Havanese baby within the next several months.
Also, I am a bit confused the kibbles. The packaging states that a large portion of the ‘kibbles’ contain fresh and freeze dried ingredients. It seems weird.
Any info on it would be great! (They were on ‘I and you and love’ with some fresh pet on top-which I really considering ending-and just give a bit of chicken a few times a week that I switch w an egg or and burger meat once a month.
Any info on this food or others would b great!
What do you feed your dogs and why?
Debbie

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
I can’t speak to Orijen specifically. I CAN tell you that puppies under one year of age should ALWAYS be fed EITHER a food formulated specifically for puppies or one that specifically states that it is formulated to meet the needs of all life stages. Not all adult foods do.

You need to be careful when adding other proteins to “complete” foods. It is fine in small amounts, but be careful not add so much that you create an imbalance in the diet. I do feed whole meats, but generally as training treats, rather than as “throw away” meal topper “freebees”.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can’t speak to Orijen specifically. I CAN tell you that puppies under one year of age should ALWAYS be fed EITHER a food formulated specifically for puppies or one that specifically states that it is formulated to meet the needs of all life stages. Not all adult foods do.

You need to be careful when adding other proteins to “complete” foods. It is fine in small amounts, but be careful not add so much that you create an imbalance in the diet. I do feed whole meats, but generally as training treats, rather than as “throw away” meal topper “freebees”.
Thanks for the reply
The 1 yr old is still on puppy food but I was going to transfer it because supplies are sketchy and he is now one.
The 2 yr old is on adult food and I do like the food but never heard of it -“I and you and me and love”is the name of it. I was wondering if anyone had.
The ingredients in Orijen seem great and so are most reviews. I was wondering if it is really that good?
Also, I was curious what u specifically feed yours. I was hoping you would respond!
I give maybe a teaspoon of hamburger meat 1 time a month when I am having it. I am mostly vegetarian so same with chicken a little cube once a week or twice.
I don’t really treat very much in training except when little or when I ask them to come and they always do but I make a pretty big deal on that one.

Debbie

·
Registered
85 Posts
Kiki tried puppy kibble from Orijen but we have switched to Nature’s Logic kibble, which is for all life stages. It has really small kibble and Kiki seems to like it, especially sardine.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
Thanks for the reply
The 1 yr old is still on puppy food but I was going to transfer it because supplies are sketchy and he is now one.
The 2 yr old is on adult food and I do like the food but never heard of it -“I and you and me and love”is the name of it. I was wondering if anyone had.
The ingredients in Orijen seem great and so are most reviews. I was wondering if it is really that good?
Also, I was curious what u specifically feed yours. I was hoping you would respond!
I give maybe a teaspoon of hamburger meat 1 time a month when I am having it. I am mostly vegetarian so same with chicken a little cube once a week or twice.
I don’t really treat very much in training except when little or when I ask them to come and they always do but I make a pretty big deal on that one.

Debbie
There are SO MANY perfectly valid ways of feeding dogs that I tend to avoid specific recommendations. The “right” answer differs from dog to dog wnd family to family! Kodi does not eat what the rest of my dogs eat, because he has a lot of dietary intolerances! I will tell you what I feed, snd why, but it won’t be the “right answer for other families. It may help you understand my thought process, though, and help you decide what to feed based on that.

First Kodi, because his needs are VERY restrictive. He has become intolerant to more and more proteins as he has aged. He as a lot of allergies, most likely due to me allowing him to be over-vaccinated as a puppy. I didn’t know any better at the time. I have learned, and none of my younger dogs have these problems. He needs a limited ingredient diet, and from a young age, could not tolerate either beef of fish. My husband likes the easy of kibble (aka “dry cereal”) breakfast, while I like a better quality food in the evening. For him, our compromise is Nature’s Variety Limited Ingredient XXX kibble in the morning, and canned at night. The nice thing is that this brand has a number of LI formulas without fish oil (hard to find!) and with a number of different proteins. He started on chicken until he showed in tolerance to that, then we moved him to duck, he was on that for several years before the intolerances started to creep in again. Then turkey, and he is now on lamb. (Which is VERY expensive!) They still have a couple more novel proteins we can move him to, so we will PROBABLY get through his life before running out of formulas. Thank GOD for this company!!! Unfortunately, they have run out of the canned several times this year, and I hate feeding him straight kibble. Fortunately, Stella & Chewy’s freeze Dried Lamb is also safe for him, so I can feed him that in the evenings in a pinch. But it is even MORE expensive!

The other three have no allergies and cast iron stomachs. So it is just “ good nutrition” I am looking for. I feed them Fromm’s Small Breed Gold kibble in the morning, as an excellent quality, economical breakfast food. Dinner is where I spend my money, and they get Nom Nom fresh frozen food. In other circumstances, I woukd probably use commercial raw food, but I have a compromised immune system, and raw food is not an option. I did a stint of home cooking for Kodi when we were figuring out his allergies and I do NOT want to cook for 4 dogs! So I let Nom Nom cook for me! Ducky and Pixel get 100 grams per meal and Panda gets 90 grams per meal. And yes, we weigh their food! We rotate between the turkey, pork and chicken formulas. The reason we skip the beef formula is that it includes peas, and I do not like to feed legumes to my dogs. (Kodi’s limited ingredient food does include some peas, but beggars can’t be choosers!)

The reason I chose Nom Nom over The Farmer’s Dog, or the other fresh cooked foods available is that this one is the only one I could find with a board certified veterinary nutritionist overseeing the formulation of the food. A lot of these small, boutique food companies are doing this on their own, and onlike human food, there is very little government oversight unless animals actually get sick. The fact that a vet nutritionist was overseeing the formulation gave me confidence.

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kiki tried puppy kibble from Orijen but we have switched to Nature’s Logic kibble, which is for all life stages. It has really small kibble and Kiki seems to like it, especially sardine.

What a cutie. I have never seen such a cute Black and Tan!
I was having trouble getting the food they did so well with especially during the hurricane-reason for post delay we actually just got internet yesterday- but I found it locally. I had never heard of it but it is also life stage. I&you&love

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are SO MANY perfectly valid ways of feeding dogs that I tend to avoid specific recommendations. The “right” answer differs from dog to dog wnd family to family! Kodi does not eat what the rest of my dogs eat, because he has a lot of dietary intolerances! I will tell you what I feed, snd why, but it won’t be the “right answer for other families. It may help you understand my thought process, though, and help you decide what to feed based on that.

First Kodi, because his needs are VERY restrictive. He has become intolerant to more and more proteins as he has aged. He as a lot of allergies, most likely due to me allowing him to be over-vaccinated as a puppy. I didn’t know any better at the time. I have learned, and none of my younger dogs have these problems. He needs a limited ingredient diet, and from a young age, could not tolerate either beef of fish. My husband likes the easy of kibble (aka “dry cereal”) breakfast, while I like a better quality food in the evening. For him, our compromise is Nature’s Variety Limited Ingredient XXX kibble in the morning, and canned at night. The nice thing is that this brand has a number of LI formulas without fish oil (hard to find!) and with a number of different proteins. He started on chicken until he showed in tolerance to that, then we moved him to duck, he was on that for several years before the intolerances started to creep in again. Then turkey, and he is now on lamb. (Which is VERY expensive!) They still have a couple more novel proteins we can move him to, so we will PROBABLY get through his life before running out of formulas. Thank GOD for this company!!! Unfortunately, they have run out of the canned several times this year, and I hate feeding him straight kibble. Fortunately, Stella & Chewy’s freeze Dried Lamb is also safe for him, so I can feed him that in the evenings in a pinch. But it is even MORE expensive!

The other three have no allergies and cast iron stomachs. So it is just “ good nutrition” I am looking for. I feed them Fromm’s Small Breed Gold kibble in the morning, as an excellent quality, economical breakfast food. Dinner is where I spend my money, and they get Nom Nom fresh frozen food. In other circumstances, I woukd probably use commercial raw food, but I have a compromised immune system, and raw food is not an option. I did a stint of home cooking for Kodi when we were figuring out his allergies and I do NOT want to cook for 4 dogs! So I let Nom Nom cook for me! Ducky and Pixel get 100 grams per meal and Panda gets 90 grams per meal. And yes, we weigh their food! We rotate between the turkey, pork and chicken formulas. The reason we skip the beef formula is that it includes peas, and I do not like to feed legumes to my dogs. (Kodi’s limited ingredient food does include some peas, but beggars can’t be choosers!)

The reason I chose Nom Nom over The Farmer’s Dog, or the other fresh cooked foods available is that this one is the only one I could find with a board certified veterinary nutritionist overseeing the formulation of the food. A lot of these small, boutique food companies are doing this on their own, and onlike human food, there is very little government oversight unless animals actually get sick. The fact that a vet nutritionist was overseeing the formulation gave me confidence.
Thanks so much. We were in the Hurricane but even before that I had trouble w supply issues from the food they do well on. It’s not really a famous brand it’s called I&you&love but mico did have problems with 2 other foods before-they made him itchy
I found a local source and now I make sure to buy plenty of bags.
they were on a relatively wet food for breakfast pet fresh just a bit and kibbles but I don’t think it is that great. They love it. But I may look into non nom so thanks for the info. I used to have mastiffs and would throw them a turkey or rack of ribs and stuff instead of just kibbles.
but with these guys raw seems so messy. I may pin their beards and such in a band and give them a chicken back. I’m sure they would love it. Although I read not to give them raw even occasionally if they’re on kibbles.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
Thanks so much. We were in the Hurricane but even before that I had trouble w supply issues from the food they do well on. It’s not really a famous brand it’s called I&you&love but mico did have problems with 2 other foods before-they made him itchy
I found a local source and now I make sure to buy plenty of bags.
they were on a relatively wet food for breakfast pet fresh just a bit and kibbles but I don’t think it is that great. They love it. But I may look into non nom so thanks for the info. I used to have mastiffs and would throw them a turkey or rack of ribs and stuff instead of just kibbles.
but with these guys raw seems so messy. I may pin their beards and such in a band and give them a chicken back. I’m sure they would love it. Although I read not to give them raw even occasionally if they’re on kibbles.
That's nonsense about not feeding any raw if they are eating kibble. They can eat both with no problem if that is your choice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's nonsense about not feeding any raw if they are eating kibble. They can eat both with no problem if that is your choice.
I really trust your opinion and remember how my dogs loved their turkeys and stuff!
they will have a great treat. I’ll probably be cautious and give them a chicken back but they will b sooo happy. It’s fun watching a dog eat raw.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,844 Posts
I don’t feed taw because of my own immune system problems. But I fully support those who do, and I follow the practices of those who do. I I know many people who mix with impunity. Not usually in the same meal, but certainly at different times.

Reactions: Melissa Brill
1 - 10 of 10 Posts