Havanese Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Boo is 19, and had a history of treatment for intestinal inflammation. Currently, inflammation is controlled with 2.5 mg of Prednisone,every other day, and a B12 tablet, 3 times a week. Often IBD dogs have low B12, which can decrease appetite among other things. It is a simple blood test but not every veterinarian does it.

Boo eats a prescription home cooked diet from a company called JustFoodForDogs. The protein source is lamb. Boo is a picky eater but will usually eat this food. His weight fluctuates between 11.8 to 12.3 pounds. Blood panels from last month were completely normal.

Prednisone has worked for him. However, it was carefully titrated to find the lowest effective dose. He has been taking it for more than two years.
May I ask you, given that you’ve obviously cared so well for Boo and he is living a happy, long life… what kind of diet have you had him on over the years? Have you always fed lamb based food, and what about grain free or grain inclusive? Have you fed kibble, freeze dried, or ? Has Boo always been pretty healthy until recent senior years? I know good healthy genes are probably at play for Boo, but diet can make such a difference too, and we feel the weight of making that important decision for our sweet girl, whose just 10 months old right now and transitioning from puppy food to adult.

· Registered
30 Posts
I appreciate your sharing a bit more of Boo’s health and diet journey. The more information we can have, as we endeavour to raise happy healthy dogs, the better I think. Before getting a Havanes, we had a mix Bichon, Shitzhu, Yorkie and she lived to just before her 17th birthday, and old age only seemed to creep in at age 16, when medications became a part of her life too. We felt very blessed for all the years we had. With Ivy, we are trying to learn as much as we can about the breed and what might be best as far as diet etc. There has been so many changes in foods and the thinking around diet over the years. We have come across mixed messaging, and much contradictory research about healthy diets for dogs, and we really appreciate learning from other Hav owners what they have had good experiences with. Like you, we also believe good veterinary care and regular grooming, mixed with lots of love, can help ensure a healthy dog. Along with good genes, of course!😌

1 - 3 of 3 Posts