Havanese Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
31,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a bit cooler the last couple of days, and the"kids" have been enjoying more time in the yard, even though the grass is completely brown from the drought! Kodi stayed on the deck where it was a bit cooler!
Dog Plant Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog Companion dog

Dog Plant Green Dog breed Leaf

Plant Petal Botany Terrestrial plant Groundcover

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Grass

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Ours won't stay out long lately. It's been high 90's for three days.

We had a drought, and crunchy grass in June, but we're probably 7" over normal in July. Crabgrass has taken over the girls' yard. It needs cutting every other day with all this water. We don't treat it with anything, so the Crabgrass has just taken over. It's the most lush lawn I've ever seen.

Picture is of the girls' yard, and a pasture on the other side of the fence. Both were cut day before yesterday. That dog yard needs cutting now, but it hasn't dried out enough from the inch of rain we had last night.

Cone is to protect the dogs from an anchor bolt in a footing for another dog porch roof, but that job had to be moved down the to-do list for other things.

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
I spent the afternoon in the pool and doing yard work in the 95 degree heat. Shadow snuck out every chance he got.
Yesterday and today were the first days we did not have thunderstorms in a month. We get an inch or more of rain everyday. I cut the grass every 4th. day. No drought here.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ours won't stay out long lately. It's been high 90's for three days.

We had a drought, and crunchy grass in June, but we're probably 7" over normal in July. Crabgrass has taken over the girls' yard. It needs cutting every other day with all this water. We don't treat it with anything, so the Crabgrass has just taken over. It's the most lush lawn I've ever seen.

Picture is of the girls' yard, and a pasture on the other side of the fence. Both were cut day before yesterday. That dog yard needs cutting now, but it hasn't dried out enough from the inch of rain we had last night.

Cone is to protect the dogs from an anchor bolt in a footing for another dog porch roof, but that job had to be moved down the to-do list for other things.
Last summer was like that here... constant rain. This year, we are on total outdoor water use restriction. And we didn't get much snow to build up the aquifer either.

But... as far as crab grass is concerned... we have LOTS of that! LOL! It stands up to drought conditions much better than "real" grass!

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I think that's why we have so much of it. It flourished longer than even Bermuda through the dry spells, and then just went bonkers when it finally got some water. We had at least another 1/2" tonight. It makes wonderful turf, but the real trouble is that it grows so fast that it has to be cut so often.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's why we have so much of it. It flourished longer than even Bermuda through the dry spells, and then just went bonkers when it finally got some water. He had at least another 1/2" tonight. It makes wonderful turf, but the real trouble is that it grows so fast that it has to be cut so often.
The thing I DON'T like is that it completely dies back to the ground over the winter, and comes up late. So for a long time in the spring (at least up here in the "frozen north") anywhere that is all crab grass is bare dirt for a long time until it finally gets going.BUT... if you SEED that area with grass seed, the crab grass will just strangle the baby "real" grass as soon as it gets going, so it's not worth even trying.

We are considering seeding those areas with white clover, which we've been told can compete with the crab grass, is also drought tolerant and doesn't die out in the winter the way the crab grass does. But we can't do that until we get some rain in the fall!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
We have Kentucky Bluegrass that comes out in cool weather, and grows through the Winter. I thought it was some kind of weed with the shorter leaves and tiny white flowers, but when I did a Reverse Picture search on Google, I found out it was Kentucky Bluegrass. It may have been in some mix we seeded with years ago, or otherwise we have volunteer Kentucky Bluegrass. It never grows very tall, and doesn't require cutting often, but I do have to cut it some over the Winter.

There is a short spell between when it dies back, and the Bermuda and Crabgrass come out, but it's not long, and never completely bare. There is a patch on the North side of the house in the girls dog yard that the Sun never hits where it grows year round.

We have patches of White Clover in yards, fields, and pastures, but other grass overtakes it, so far.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have Kentucky Bluegrass that comes out in cool weather, and grows through the Winter. I thought it was some kind of weed with the shorter leaves and tiny white flowers, but when I did a Reverse Picture search on Google, I found out it was Kentucky Bluegrass. It may have been in some mix we seeded with years ago, or otherwise we have volunteer Kentucky Bluegrass. It never grows very tall, and doesn't require cutting often, but I do have to cut it some over the Winter.

There is a short spell between when it dies back, and the Bermuda and Crabgrass come out, but it's not long, and never completely bare. There is a patch on the North side of the house in the girls dog yard that the Sun never hits where it grows year round.

We have patches of White Clover in yards, fields, and pastures, but other grass overtakes it, so far.
Kentucky blue grass isn’t hardy this far north. And nothing actually “grows” during the winter… it’s all dormant. My goal is just thick enough dormant turf that we avoid mud!!!

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Bermuda does that, but nowhere much North of here. That's what we have mostly. I overseed the pastures with Annual Rye in the Fall, so the horses can graze through the Winter. They eat Bermuda from around Easter to around Thanksgiving.

The reason the fairways at Augusta National look so lush green during the Masters every April is because they overseed with Perennial Rye every Fall. I guess the Perennial grows shorter and thicker than Annual, but the Annual Rye sprouts fast, and grows fast.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know that turf was a 4 year major at Robbie's agricultural university. Even as an arboriculture major he had to take a couple of turf courses and HATED them! LOL! He LOVED his draft horse driving electives though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts