Havanese Forum banner

221 - 240 of 328 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Panda' puppies are here after a pretty harrowing couple of days! Panda was in the early stages of labor over Easter. She progressed to more serious first stage labor that night. We were in close contact with our repro vet and another vet friend (****’s breeder!) all day yesterday as well as pestering Pam King at regular intervals!!! ;) While it is not unusual for maiden bitches to have fairly long first stage labors, by yesterday afternoon, she had been in clear distress but non-productive labor (that is NOT unusual, as anyone who has had even ONE baby at a time can tell you... birthing babies HURTS!) for over 18 hours. They suggested I "wait another half hour” (why do vets and doctors always do that?!?!) and if she still hadn’t produced a puppy, to bring her in to ultrasound her just to “make sure everything was OK”. Fortunately, the vet is close by.

When we got there, the fetal heart rate on one puppy was dangerously low, although it recovered somewhat while they were ultrasounding her. The others were in what they called the “borderline” range. The decision was made to do a C-section to keep all the puppies and Mom safe.

So… at 4:30 PM, 4 beautiful, big healthy boys and an equally big healthy girl entered the world. I’d like to introduce you to the Easter Basket litter: Cadbury(M), Peeps(M), Chirp(F), Jelly Bean(M) and Ducky(M)! Separate pictures will follow at some later date, when they are a bit older, and mom has recovered more.

Since I told you I would share everything with you folks, here are the pups in the incubator as they waited for mom in recovery. I was allowed in to wait with Panda as she recovered and to help introduce her to her pups.

Then they brought Panda in to me, still VERY groggy, to recover beside me on the floor under a heated air blanket. she has a BIG zipper, poor dear!

At the hospital, it looked like her milk was not coming in, and as you probably know colostrum is vital to puppies’ immune systems. So each puppy was given frozen (thawed and warmed, of course!) plasma, which gives them the same antibodies as colostrum would, and all got tanked up on a first meal of formula by the veterinary staff. We got sent home expecting that I would have to bottle feed them for a few days as Panda healed. My good mama had other plans, and as soon as the pups were with her at home, they latched on, started to feed, and there hasn’t been a peep out of them since except if one wanders away and can’t find its way back! Hungry puppies that are not getting anything do not stay latched, and they cry. A LOT!!! So they got a double dose of antibodies! The plasma at the hospital, AND they are getting a full compliment of colostrum from mom!

I was also warned not to leave her unsupervised for a SECOND with the puppies for the first couple of days, because mothers who have been anesthetized and have not gone through a normal birthing process, and are also sometimes disoriented by the anesthesia and in pain, have been known to neglect or even savage their pups. Of course I am following these instructions, but she couldn't POSSIBLY be a more gentle, attentive, yet kind and relaxed mom. I would be EXTREMELY surprised... ASTOUNDED, if she even neglected, let alone purposely tried to hurt her pups. Even with those five little beasties kneading on her brand new incision, she just lies there with the soft, "Madonna" smile on her face. When I weigh them, them she follows each one over to the scale with me, but not frantic… just watching, to make sure I’m going to bring them back. She couldn’t be any better!

So there’s the update, and here are a few more photos. The B&W ones are from the puppy cam during the night… it works even in total dark!

Panda when she first got home last night. She was already being a super mom. even groggy from anesthesia!

My Puppy Cam is pretty impressive! I can watch them even with absolutely no light in the room!!!

From top to bottom:

Jelly Bean (Black parti boy)
Peeps (Black boy)
Chirp (underneath) (Black girl with white trim)
Ducky (Red and white party boy - a bit of a surprise, that one!)
Cadbury Bunny (Black boy with white trim). Cadbury was the big boy stopping up the works!

Panda, showing off her impressive zipper. When they decided those puppies needed to come out, they were NOT wasting any time!

So that's the story! Thank you, Popi, for keeping people filled in, and not letting them think we'd fallen into the abyss. There was simply no time for ANYTHING but taking care of Panda and pups. There will probably be many MORE of those days to come... and other times in between that I need to catch up on sleep. But I did want you see Panda's beautiful new kidlets!!!

·
Tucker 2007-2020
6,297 Posts
Congratulations, Karen and Panda. Scary times, and I was wondering. I am so glad you are close to your vet, and had such good mentors, too.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Wow! Congratulations on five beautiful puppies. Sorry for what poor Panda had to go through but so happy all ended well. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow- What an ordeal you and Panda have been through! So glad mama Panda and her adorable babies are doing well despite the challenges, and she looks like such a sweet mama. Hope you both are finding a few minutes here and there to rest ❤

·
2005-2021
1,510 Posts
Congratulations Karen and to beautiful Panda and her beautiful babies. I write this with tears of happiness.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So thrilled and relieved for you & proud Mama Panda. Precious, darling Pups the whole lot of them. Love the names too!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #230 (Edited)
Wow- What an ordeal you and Panda have been through! So glad mama Panda and her adorable babies are doing well despite the challenges, and she looks like such a sweet mama. Hope you both are finding a few minutes here and there to rest ❤
I AM resting as much as I can, in between taking care of her and the pups, the other dogs... and trying to put the house back in order... it seems to have EXPLODED while she was in labor!!! LOL!

Now that I am getting more and more sure she is NOT going to do any of the horrid things I was warned about to her puppies, I have taken a few minutes here and there to do things like, oh, take a shower, and put the spare bedroom (right next to the whelping room) back in order, etc.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Congratulation to the beautiful Panda on a beautiful team and to Karen! That was a very stressful time! I couldn't imagine how it must have been to be there.
Panda looks like she just stepped out of the doggie spa though!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Congratulation to the beautiful Panda on a beautiful team and to Karen! That was a very stressful time! I couldn't imagine how it must have been to be there.
Panda looks like she just stepped out of the doggie spa though!
LOL! A lot less so today! She needs a lot more calories, protein and calcium now that she is “eating for six”, so besides her regular food, she is getting some mix-ins that are messy, and gets to eat 4 times per day. (The other dogs are INSANELY jealous!!!) We have quite the case of mucky face going on!!!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Arf! Arf!
3,023 Posts
I am so proud and excited. I really didn't sleep well last night (restless) and now I know why!!!! I have proclaimed myself the DOGFATHER of the litter. Winners every one of them going to some lucky families!

Congratulations Karen, PANDA, and family. Get some rest, all of you, and get back to us with more news as you have time!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
I am so proud and excited. I really didn't sleep well last night (restless) and now I know why!!!! I have proclaimed myself the DOGFATHER of the litter. Winners every one of them going to some lucky families!

Congratulations Karen, PANDA, and family. Get some rest, all of you, and get back to us with more news as you have time!
❤ I will make you the OFFICIAL “Dogfather!” How’s that! ;)

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,204 Posts
Congrats on surviving the ordeal. they are beautiful puppies. :)

·
Premium Member
4,461 Posts
Congratulations Karen and Panda! What an exciting Easter! So happy to hear Panda's precious babies have safely arrived and she is doing well. 💜 Such a pretty mama! Very cute names... Just curious how much do they weigh?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Congratulations to you and Panda! The puppies are beautiful and I'm so glad to hear that everyone is safe and healthy. Panda is such a sweet, proud mommy. 💗

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,139 Posts
I AM resting as much as I can, in between taking care of her and the pups, the other dogs... and trying to put the house back in order... it seems to have EXPLODED while she was in labor!!! LOL!

Now that I am getting more and more sure she is NOT going to do any of the horrid things I was warned about to her puppies, I have taken a few minutes here and there to do things like, oh, take a shower, and put the spare bedroom (right next to the whelping room) back in order, etc.
How awesome! Congratulations! Please Karen take care of yourself too. You need to be strong when all those precious puppies start running around!

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Congratulations! I would have been so scared. Sounds like Panda was a real trooper. Thanks for all the details and all the photos! (I don't remember ever reading a thread about puppies being expected then born before, unless Tom posted one ...) I love the names too! Ducky's coloring is pretty fun! Will be easy to spot him among the others! Today was my first day back at school for in-person learning, so catching up on this thread MADE MY DAY!

💚💛🧡💜💙

221 - 240 of 328 Posts