·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #242

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Congratulations Karen and Panda! What an exciting Easter! So happy to hear Panda's precious babies have safely arrived and she is doing well. 💜 Such a pretty mama! Very cute names... Just curious how much do they weigh?
Cadbury Bunny was 226g at birth and Ducky was 181g. The others were between that.

Reactions: Heather's

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Now we're going to have to start guessing which puppy Karen is going to keep!
If you can guess that, you’ll be way ahead of me, because I have no idea! LOL!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow what a hare raising Easter extravaganza for you all Karen! Congratulations to you and especially to new mummy Panda🥳 I am so pleased they are all safe and well, back home settling in like new puppies should be. Great to see Panda is such a natural with them despite the bumpy beginning💗💗💗.

Thank you so much for setting up this post and keeping us updated all the way through. I keep thinking these little pups are like Charlotte’s babies from ”Charlotte’s Web,” with so many forum Aunties and Uncles looking out for them💕

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
So, overnight update...

First... The pig rail had to go. Puppies were getting under it, started squawking, she couldnt get them out and was getting frantic. I really think there is very little danger of her squashing them. That is the intended purpose, but I think is probably more an issue where there is a much bigger size difference between puppies and mum. And she is being VERY careful with them.

Second... The vet fleece had to go. I only have strips that are wide enough for half of the box. Panda has ALWAYS been a bed digger, fluffer, rearranger. I’ve mentioned before that we call her “Goldilocks” because of all the (human) bed unmaking she does if given the chance. She had started to dig under these layers during the day a bit, and I had been discouraging it. I woke during the night to find her trying to get on my bed (tummy too sore to jump up) and saw that she had put ALL the puppies UNDER the vet fleece, on top of the heating pad! There wasn’t a peep from them and I JUMPED up, worried I’d find five cooked, suffocated puppies! They were fine, just toasty and sleeping in the cozy little den she’d made for them, but I just don’t think that’s safe. So I stripped all the vet fleece out. (BTW, LOTS of breeder DO use vet fleece, and it was specifically recommended to me by another breeder with a gal with a very white hind end, because it absorbs lots of fluids and keeps mom cleaner. (obviously you can’t put panties on a girl who is nursing!)

So those were the two things that got me out of bed in a hurry in the middle of the night. Now for the more positive stuff, thanks to the puppy cam! I no longer have to get up to help the family “rearrange” just because puppies are on the wrong side of her or have wandered off to the wrong side of the box. They have already developed the strength to climb up mom’s back and slide down her fur on the “milk bar” side to get where they want to be.

And in the case of the “lost soul” on the other side of the box? I was SURE I was going to have to go rescue THAT one. But she calmly went over, gently picked it up with her mouth, brought it back and tucked it against her. Perfect mom! I wish I’d been quick witted enough to press the ”picture” button on the puppy cam for that one!!!

So here is a photo of the newly rearrange box and family. Doesn’t look as sleek, with hand towels stuffed in under the pig rails, but that keeps the puppies OUT, and at the same time, (hopefully) will make it harder for her to dig up THESE pads to hide puppies under them! This is ONE motherly instinct I could do without! LOL!

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, the one piece of vet fleece left is to protect her teats from the hard edge of the whelping box getting in and out. It’s pinned down well, so she can’t “fluff” that one.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Glad that all ended well even if it did get you up in a panic!!! Sounds like Panda is a wonderful mom!!

The parti red and white reminds me SO much of Denver’s baby pictures.

Reactions: krandall

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Wow, I'm offline for 1 day and sooooo much has happened! Congrats they look amazing!! Glad Panda is doing well and sounds like she's such a great mom.

Have the other two "met" the pups yet? We raised Dalmatians when I was a kid and I know that after a few days we let the other dogs meet them with no problems at all. It did take a few days (maybe a week, I can't remember exactly) though. One disaster was when one of the Moms had just had a litter and my sister decided that the other female should meet the puppies (I think my Mom was upstairs at that minute). While after a few days/ week (or so) both moms were perfectly fine with the others being with the puppies, in this case it was MUCH too soon and ended up in a really major serious fight (my Mom ended up with serious injuries on her arm and needed stitches from separating the mom and the other female - - two dogs who never ever would even think about biting and never had a spat between them either).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Congrats!!!! That sounds like quite an ordeal, I am so glad all are healthy and doing well. I love the pictures, please keep us posted!! Best of luck to all of you and hoping you can get some rest soon!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Wow, I'm offline for 1 day and sooooo much has happened! Congrats they look amazing!! Glad Panda is doing well and sounds like she's such a great mom.

Have the other two "met" the pups yet? We raised Dalmatians when I was a kid and I know that after a few days we let the other dogs meet them with no problems at all. It did take a few days (maybe a week, I can't remember exactly) though. One disaster was when one of the Moms had just had a litter and my sister decided that the other female should meet the puppies (I think my Mom was upstairs at that minute). While after a few days/ week (or so) both moms were perfectly fine with the others being with the puppies, in this case it was MUCH too soon and ended up in a really major serious fight (my Mom ended up with serious injuries on her arm and needed stitches from separating the mom and the other female - - two dogs who never ever would even think about biting and never had a spat between them either).
Yes, this is MUCH too soon to let the other two in. Kodi, for sure wouldn’t harm them, and I don’t THINK Pixel would either. But Pixel MIGHT try to steal them, and I am SURE Panda can tell that. Pixel is INSANE over puppies, ans she is the one who had the false pregnancy. She wants to get to the babies VERY badly!!! (She LOVES older puppies!!!) Panda doesn‘t want Pixel ANYWHERE near them. There are two gates between Pixel and the babies right now, so she can’t even see them. That will, for sure, change with time. But not for the first couple of weeks, especially with poor Panda not feeling totally up to snuff.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Big Congrats Karen, Panda, and family!!!! Wow what a wild adventure. I'm so glad you all came through unscathed. Bringing new life into the world is no joke! Thanks for bringing us along on the journey - looking forward to more updates and sending love to Panda and her beautiful brood :love:

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Oh my gosh this is so exciting and interesting! I'm sorry for Panda and you that the birth couldn't be a natural one. So glad the vet is close. The puppies are all so beautiful and I'm really looking forward to more photos. The first photo of Panda with her pups, I have to say she looks a little confused! It must be such a surprise to them to find out they have children!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yes, this is MUCH too soon to let the other two in. Kodi, for sure wouldn’t harm them, and I don’t THINK Pixel would either. But Pixel MIGHT try to steal them, and I am SURE Panda can tell that. Pixel is INSANE over puppies, ans she is the one who had the false pregnancy. She wants to get to the babies VERY badly!!! (She LOVES older puppies!!!) Panda doesn‘t want Pixel ANYWHERE near them. There are two gates between Pixel and the babies right now, so she can’t even see them. That will, for sure, change with time. But not for the first couple of weeks, especially with poor Panda not feeling totally up to snuff.
In the case of our Dals, there was zero concern that the other female would harm them - but Mama was definitely not ready to share :). It's funny thinking about Pixel being sooo insane over puppies that she might try to steal them! And I can definitely see the time needed to be longer while Panda heals from her surgery in addition to getting used to the others being around the babies.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
In the case of our Dals, there was zero concern that the other female would harm them - but Mama was definitely not ready to share :). It's funny thinking about Pixel being sooo insane over puppies that she might try to steal them! And I can definitely see the time needed to be longer while Panda heals from her surgery in addition to getting used to the others being around the babies.
she’s also on drugs, which changes things too.

·
Arf! Arf!
3,023 Posts
I have a couple of questions for Karen when she has time.

• I believe Karen said PANDA 'hooked up' with HEBEE three times over a one or two week period. Since PANDA had a litter of five, could individual pups have been conceived at different hook ups? In other words, can some of the pups be at different ages depending when they were conceived, maybe a week apart?
  • At what point do you decide at what age pups will available to be sent to their forever homes?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I can answer your first one and YES (though I think at most it’s be a few days, Karen can correct me on the timeline though)! Did you also know that pups born at the same time from one bitch can even have different dads? That’s called a multi-sire litter!! (Denver was in a litter of two, different dads and because of that the pups were DNA tested to see who was who’s for the litter registration .. it was like Maury Pauvich.. you ARE the father ) ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can answer your first one and YES (though I think at most it’s be a few days, Karen can correct me on the timeline though)! Did you also know that pups born at the same time from one bitch can even have different dads? That’s called a multi-sire litter!! (Denver was in a litter of two, different dads and because of that the pups were DNA tested to see who was who’s for the litter registration .. it was like Maury Pauvich.. you ARE the father ) ;)
Wha wha what? 😮 🤯 I had no idea that was possible! Just imagine the complications that would cause in humans! Oh perish the thought!

Thanks for asking the question, Popi!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Congratulations!!! I was also off line for a few days and decided I should check in to see if the puppies had arrived! Thanks for sharing so much detail.. so much fun to follow and so happy for Panda and you. Those puppies are adorable and she sounds like a wonderful mom.

·
Arf! Arf!
3,023 Posts
I can answer your first one and YES (though I think at most it’s be a few days, Karen can correct me on the timeline though)!
Thank you. So I would presume that the smaller and less developed pups might be a week or so "younger" than the larger ones? Then what triggers labor and delivery, the younger pups or the older? (NO! I do not want to become a breeder.)

241 - 260 of 328 Posts