Havanese Forum banner

901 - 920 of 953 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
I’m sad to think about this thread ending soon when the puppies go home. But I’m sure you’ll share more from Ducky, and I’m happy for the families!

I have already sent people outside of the forum to this thread. Not Havanese people, but someone I know who was considering getting a puppy from a “broker,” and someone else to show them that indoor potty training is actually training, not just laying down pads and hoping the puppies aim in the right place ;) It is really meaningful that you have taken the time, with all of the pressures of raising a litter, to document this. I believe it will have a really positive impact on showing prospective puppy owners what breeding should look like, long after these cute little puppies go home.

it also means a lot to me personally to have been able to follow along! Thank you, Karen!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #902 ·
I’m sad to think about this thread ending soon when the puppies go home. But I’m sure you’ll share more from Ducky, and I’m happy for the families!

I have already sent people outside of the forum to this thread. Not Havanese people, but someone I know who was considering getting a puppy from a “broker,” and someone else to show them that indoor potty training is actually training, not just laying down pads and hoping the puppies aim in the right place ;) It is really meaningful that you have taken the time, with all of the pressures of raising a litter, to document this. I believe it will have a really positive impact on showing prospective puppy owners what breeding should look like, long after these cute little puppies go home.

it also means a lot to me personally to have been able to follow along! Thank you, Karen!
Aww, thanks! I’ll have to post something on my newest “after nap” tactic in the bigger play time pen, as it might help some people with their puppies at home. I had been having trouble with the litter being good using their boxes in the big pen except right after waking up from a nap. Pam King told me that I had left them to nap in the big peb to early, and to move them back to their sleeping pen (where they never have accidents) to nap. I did that, but I was still having trouble where, when I first moved them, two at a time, back to the big pen after a nap, sometimes one or two would miss. Now I put a piece of gate around the potty area, and the puppies get put in there one or two at a time. They don’t get let out into the play area until they “produce”! LOL!

I also think when they all went into the bigger area at once, it was just too exciting, and they were bothering each other. Chirp, especially, likes a little privacy to do her business… impossible with four brothers jumping on you! THAT is something most of us don’t have to worry about with a single puppy, but I an SURE caused her to go off and have “accidents” in quiet corners. The boys accidents at this point are largely the “front feet in” accidents that plague so many of us with boys! LOL! Hey! At least they are close! LOL! And they are ALL close too 100% with poop!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #904 ·
Do Mama Dogs grieve when their puppies leave?
They miss them, I think, like a humom seeing her kids off to college. It is not like tearing an infant out of a mom’s arms… it’s time, and she is getting ready for some separation, but she still DOES miss them. I think it will be easier for Panda, because she gets to keep her favorite!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I can hardly believe that the puppies will start leaving in 9 days!!! 😭 I’m making the most of this last little bit of time with them, trying to give them the best start I can… Loving them to pieces, of course, continuing their socialization with lots of visitors, car rides, experiences like wet grass and light rain. But since I have already started Ducky’s formal training, and little puppies do best with VERY short amounts of training time at this age, and (mentally) tired puppies are good puppies, I figure they might as well ALL benefit!

PLEASE do NOT think that you breeder “should” be doing this with your puppies! MOST will not be! MOST do not have the time, nor do most have an interest in performance training. But this is what I’m doing with MY litter! What I’m doing with this puppy is also great work for any puppy when you first bring him home, assuming he HASN’T learned this with his breeder. This is this puppy’s first exposure to BOTH exercises, so they learn REALLY quickly at this age!

The puppies do understand “manding”, which I discussed earlier in this thread, and they also understand the clicker and what it means.

Ohh, Karen, my eyes welled right up reading this! 😭 Even though I’m sure it’s not been a cakewalk all the time, I’m equally sure it’s also been a wonderful and magical time as well. These pups could NOT have had a better start in life. You will always have a special and unique connection, not to mention big time bragging rights to an amazing litter!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am interviewing one more family tomorrow. I THINK they will be the last if all goes well.

And yes, one of the new families is in the forum, but they want to do their own “reveal”. ;)
This is going to sound weird, but I am actually a bit jealous because I wish I could have more than one! I suppose in some ways I feel like an Auntie! They are all so darling and yummy!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #910 ·
Just curious - what does Panda do that lets you know Ducky is her favorite?
The two of them seem to seek each other out. She is with him more often the
an any other puppy. Second most is Chirp. They have “girl talks!”
LOL!

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I've been away from the forum for a few days. Oh my so much seems to have happened! I so excited to be able to watch Ducky grow up now that he is officially yours! Love all the photos you have posted. I'm going to miss all the other puppies though.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #912 ·
And with that... they all have homes. Peeps will be heading off to Long Island in a week. I can hardly believe that my whole litter, other than Ducky, will be gone in less than two weeks!!!

Peep's new "parents" are lovely. He loved them, and followed them around the back yard, well, like a puppy.
🙂
He played ball with them and showed off his manding skills. It seems so "real" somehow now!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Awww it’s happy and sad all at the same time😊😣🤪

You’ve got some really lovely pics of them, especially recently as their individual personalities emerge🥰, let’s hope their new owners ALL become forum converts and keep you (and us😂) posted on puppy progress💗

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Is Peeps the one you were hoping would go to a performance family? What do they have in mind for him? Are Chase and Ducky the only two who were adopted by current forum members? Will all the puppies stay in the northeast?

💚💛🧡💜💙

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #915 · (Edited)
Is Peeps the one you were hoping would go to a performance family? What do they have in mind for him? Are Chase and Ducky the only two who were adopted by current forum members? Will all the puppies stay in the northeast?

💚💛🧡💜💙
Yes, currently, only Chase and Ducky are on the Forum, and yes, all are in the northeast.

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #916 ·
What meets me when I come down the stairs every morning. I will miss this!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #917 ·
Panda loves being with her pups, but even SHE thinks that maybe they need to nurse less. So she “perches in places that they can’t quite get to her!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #919 ·
Panda saying goodbye to all her whelping box bedding! I’m not sure she wants to see it go! LOL!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #920 ·
How many puppies can tug on one little piece of rope?

901 - 920 of 953 Posts