Havanese Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old male Havanese who chews his paws. Is this an allergy? I know of two other Havanese owners who also have dogs who chew their paws.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
:welcome: Could be diet related. What do you feed your Hav? My dog is fed commercial raw food and doesn't lick her paws.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed him Wellness kibble and Wellness "casserole" which is the wet food I mix in. Curious because a couple of others have reported their Havis chew too.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
You could try getting the NutriScan food sensitivity test done. It's not cheap but it will tell you which foods you might want to avoid feeding your dog to see if the issue is his diet. I also recommend raw food instead of kibble. There are lots of commercial ones available that many of us on this forum feed to our Havs - either air dried, frozen, or canned. Examples: ZiwiPeak, K9 Natural, Darwin's, Primal, Honest Kitchen, Stella & Chewy's.

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
It is probably an allergy. Bella licks her one paw, but I do think it's more an OCD thing. I THINK wellness uses a lot of different proteins. You might try a limited ingredient dog food. The ones named above are great! If you are on a tighter budget or uncomfortable with feeding raw, Acana limited ingredient grain free is good. Bella won't eat raw so I feed her this. She loves it. Scudder had to switch off raw to this because he was getting sour tummy and throwing up in the mornings. The raw didn't sit in his tummy long enough. Even if I fed it to him before bed he would still wake up puking:( He also loves this food.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We had an Aussie who would lick one paw to the point there'd be tiny bare spots and once in a while a little blood. Our vet thought it was an allergy and gave us some medicine. Forget what. She lived to be almost 17 and only stopped the licking her last few years. I'm fairly sure it was an OCD thing like lfung thinks Bella's is. The Aussie only did this with the one paw and it was almost like a child with compulsive thumb sucking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts