Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perry had his leg surgery on Tuesday and spent the night at the vets. We picked him up yesterday afternoon and he spent a quiet night. This morning he is very quiet - didn't want to go out and pee this morning (he hobbled around and peed twice yesterday), so keeping an eye on him to see if he just needed the pain meds to kick in or if there is something wrong and need to call the vets.

It was a pretty extensive - 3 hour - surgery. The vet had to cut both the ulna and radius. The bone had a 60 degree twist to it, so they had to cut one bone to create a little more length (and put a pin in it), and the other had to be cut to remove about 1 cm so that they could twist it straight(er) and put a steel plate in. They said they couldn't get it perfectly straight but that the knee and elbow were lined up and that it was straighter than his right one now (the right one is a little crooked but was no where near where the left was).

He's in a custom molded fiberglass splint and bandages for the next month at least - appointment next week to change the bandages and then in a month for a recheck to see. He is on very strict crate rest for at least 2 months, more likely 3.

Will take some pics of my poor pathetic puppy when he's not so pookie (he's currently lying in a large crate with his left leg sticking up into the air and I don't want to disturb him).

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With his new soft cone (I still have the frog and will use it, but this one works well too)

His leg bandage

With his medepaw boot (which he has to wear anytime we're outside to ensure that no moisture gets in the bandage - but CAN'T wear inside because it might get damp inside and cause the bandage to get damp.

And in his crate - luckily I used to have a medium size dog so had a large crate around so he's got room inside to move around a little (but not too much) and I can fit his bed in without putting something on the whole crate so he can still move from the bed to the cooler plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Oh bless his little heart❤ he doesn’t deserve this, neither of you do!!! I hope this is the beginning of his journey to health and happier times😘😘😘😘😘. I think you’re amazing for rescuing and giving him the life he does deserves💗.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Awww, he‘s a brave little guy with all he’s gone through, the poor baby. I echo every one’s sentiments and wishes for the recovery time to go quickly. You have a good set up for him there in the pics but I imagine this is all almost second nature to you. Please tell Perry lots of love ❤ is being sent to him from the HF!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Poor baby! And poor you! And when you see how crooked his rich leg is, and hear that THAT is the "Straighter" one... it is amazing, really, that he could get around on them at all! What a stoic little guy! And again, how INCREDIBLY lucky that he ended up in your arms!!!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Poor baby! And poor you! And when you see how crooked his rich leg is, and hear that THAT is the "Straighter" one... it is amazing, really, that he could get around on them at all! What a stoic little guy! And again, how INCREDIBLY lucky that he ended up in your arms!!!
Yeah when the Dr was like "we couldn't get the left one totally straight, but it's straighter than the right" I thought - he gets around great on the right so "straighter" than that is just awesome :). I guess it's all relative because I've never felt that the right was very crooked but that's probably because I was always comparing it to the left, NOT to how they really should be! As you can see in the pics below, the right is turned, but only slightly - so if the left is better than that I'm going to be thrilled.

He is so incredibly stoic. To look at him you wouldn't think he was in pain or anything - the only way I know for sure that he is/ was was that when I took him out this morning, before his morning meds, he just stood there will his back a little hunched and didn't want to move (after hobbling around twice the night before to pee)... so we went back inside, got breakfast and pain meds and waited an hour or so and went back out, at which point he was happy to hobble around and pee. It makes it hard to figure out the pain management though - the vet did say I could up the gabapentin if he needed, but I can't tell if he needs it. So, just lots of rest right now. I'm sure in a day or two he'll want to move around more. Not much keeps him down for long.

Awww, he‘s a brave little guy with all he’s gone through, the poor baby. I echo every one’s sentiments and wishes for the recovery time to go quickly. You have a good set up for him there in the pics but I imagine this is all almost second nature to you. Please tell Perry lots of love ❤ is being sent to him from the HF!
LOL, yeah, we've been through this a few times :). By the end of this year, he will have (cumulatively) been on crate rest/ heavy restriction for a total of about 11-13 months (depending on if we do the "re-do" of his left back knee before the end of the year) of his 5 1/2 years of life. A couple of those rests have been while we were in Kampala, so all he had was his small crate... but the times he's been on restriction while we were in the US we at least had the big crate.

I'm hoping he doesn't get as angry about it this time - and when we do have to leave him alone I will not make the mistake of trying to cover the crate this time. The last time he was in the big crate, I covered it with a blanket when we left and he was so angry that he pulled the blanket through the tiny holes in the wire door - and pulled it so fiercely that it was covered in specks and smears of blood (from his mouth/ teeth) AND it took me well over 1/2 hour (probably closer to an hour) to work it back out he had pulled so much of it in. All of that while being on 3 legs (so how he got the traction is beyond me!) AND wearing a cone!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah when the Dr was like "we couldn't get the left one totally straight, but it's straighter than the right" I thought - he gets around great on the right so "straighter" than that is just awesome :). I guess it's all relative because I've never felt that the right was very crooked but that's probably because I was always comparing it to the left, NOT to how they really should be! As you can see in the pics below, the right is turned, but only slightly - so if the left is better than that I'm going to be thrilled.
View attachment 174848 View attachment 174849

He is so incredibly stoic. To look at him you wouldn't think he was in pain or anything - the only way I know for sure that he is/ was was that when I took him out this morning, before his morning meds, he just stood there will his back a little hunched and didn't want to move (after hobbling around twice the night before to pee)... so we went back inside, got breakfast and pain meds and waited an hour or so and went back out, at which point he was happy to hobble around and pee. It makes it hard to figure out the pain management though - the vet did say I could up the gabapentin if he needed, but I can't tell if he needs it. So, just lots of rest right now. I'm sure in a day or two he'll want to move around more. Not much keeps him down for long.

LOL, yeah, we've been through this a few times :). By the end of this year, he will have (cumulatively) been on crate rest/ heavy restriction for a total of about 11-13 months (depending on if we do the "re-do" of his left back knee before the end of the year) of his 5 1/2 years of life. A couple of those rests have been while we were in Kampala, so all he had was his small crate... but the times he's been on restriction while we were in the US we at least had the big crate.

I'm hoping he doesn't get as angry about it this time - and when we do have to leave him alone I will not make the mistake of trying to cover the crate this time. The last time he was in the big crate, I covered it with a blanket when we left and he was so angry that he pulled the blanket through the tiny holes in the wire door - and pulled it so fiercely that it was covered in specks and smears of blood (from his mouth/ teeth) AND it took me well over 1/2 hour (probably closer to an hour) to work it back out he had pulled so much of it in. All of that while being on 3 legs (so how he got the traction is beyond me!) AND wearing a cone!
Maybe Perry was imagining that the blanket was his irresponsible breeder🤣🤣🤣🤣. Because that is what I would like to do to them right now on Perry’s behalf😡 either that or force them to have the same operations Perry is having to face🤬🤬. Sorry rant over (I think) it just breaks my heart that he is having to go through this because someone only cared about making money from him, rather than breeding him from healthy parents. I know with nature and health that nothing is guaranteed so I could be doing the breeder a disservice…but I doubt it😠. Finishing on a nicer note lots of love to Perry that crate rest will be 2 months rather than 3. Xx

·
2005-2021
1,679 Posts
Poor little guy, he sure is a trooper for all he's been through. Sending many, many positive vibs and hugs to you both. I do believe our dear, sweet pups come into our lives for a reason. Wishing Perry a speedy recovery and many healthy, happy years to look forward to. :) Thank you Melissa for being a loving, caring Havi Mom.:)

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
Maybe Perry was imagining that the blanket was his irresponsible breeder🤣🤣🤣🤣. Because that is what I would like to do to them right now on Perry’s behalf😡 either that or force them to have the same operations Perry is having to face🤬🤬. Sorry rant over (I think) it just breaks my heart that he is having to go through this because someone only cared about making money from him, rather than breeding him from healthy parents. I know with nature and health that nothing is guaranteed so I could be doing the breeder a disservice…but I doubt it😠. Finishing on a nicer note lots of love to Perry that crate rest will be 2 months rather than 3. Xx
My understanding is that legs can grow in a twisted fashion if damage to the growth plates occurs before they have closed. This is why jumping from high places and other strenuous activities is discouraged when they are puppies until growth plates have closed. I am not trying to defend a bad breeder but this is another potential cause. Melissa rescued Perry and may not know his full history.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My understanding is that legs can grow in a twisted fashion if damage to the growth plates occurs before they have closed. This is why jumping from high places and other strenuous activities is discouraged when they are puppies until growth plates have closed. I am not trying to defend a bad breeder but this is another potential cause. Melissa rescued Perry and may not know his full history.

That’s a really informative article thanks mudpuppymama😊. Especially useful in the last couple of paragraphs about joint supplements and chiropractic work being able to be used as a preventative measure in puppies!

Yes I was definitely jumping to conclusions because Perry was lucky enough to be rescued by Melissa but you’re right I don’t know his history.

But to any cruel breeders out there, I am wishing you the exact same treatment you give your animals. And of course I am wishing the nice breeders all the joy and love they give theirs😘

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Poor little guy...I'm so happy the surgery is behind you both. I think it's pretty amazing Perry is up and able to hobble around already! He's a lucky little one to have you to love him and make sure he has the best life. Hoping Perry is feeling better soon and recovers quickly.:)

1 - 20 of 152 Posts