Havanese Forum banner
41 - 60 of 152 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
I really can't figure out if the meds are managing it well. He's so stoic (except for the trying to move and screaming bit) most of the day so I really can't tell if he's actually in pain or not. The other sign is often panting - but it's been warm many days (and even warmer in our bedroom) so I can't tell if he's hot or actually in pain.

He's been on once a day metacam and twice daily gabapentin. I can up the gabapentin if needed (per the vet) which is what I did yesterday. Today I went back to his normal dose and will see how he does. I also have trazadone if he's tooooo active to help chill him out - been using it occasionally but not often. I'm anticipating that will be more needed as he gets more and more comfortable.
I would talk to the doc or nurse about his pain level. I know that Pixel (who is admittedly a whimp) doesn’t handle pain well AT ALL. Even so, my vet doesn’t want her in a lot of pain, even “for her”. When she was spayed, and again when she had her anal gland abscess, which I’m sure is NOTHING like what Perry is going through, they sent her home on what they THOUGHT was adequate medication. Pretty much what Perry is on. When I called to tell them she was screaming after the first night home, they immediately had me come and pick up a different med in the case of her spay, and to up the dose in the case of her anal glad abscess.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I would talk to the doc or nurse about his pain level. I know that Pixel (who is admittedly a whimp) doesn’t handle pain well AT ALL. Even so, my vet doesn’t want her in a lot of pain, even “for her”. When she was spayed, and again when she had her anal gland abscess, which I’m sure is NOTHING like what Perry is going through, they sent her home on what they THOUGHT was adequate medication. Pretty much what Perry is on. When I called to tell them she was screaming after the first night home, they immediately had me come and pick up a different med in the case of her spay, and to up the dose in the case of her anal glad abscess.
Yep, discussion on pain meds is on the agenda for today's bandage change visit... especially since his last dose of metacam was yesterday and I'm concerned about not having it this week.

Yesterday had gone really well - seemed very comfortable and no whimpering/ screams... but then I was putting his boot on to go outside at around 10 and I must have twisted it just the slightest big because I got the scream again (it's so much worse when it's your fault!!) so gave him another pill and will talk to the vet/ nurse today at the visit.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
This week's fashion statement is yellow with green bones :)

Bandage change went well, he was fine and they didn't need to administer any anesthesia to change the bandages. They said there was some minor discharge from the sutures (normal) and they did do some laser treatment to help with some inflammation, etc. The vet also agreed with upping his meds - either 1 every 8 hours or 2 every 12 hours whichever I think is managing it better, so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Update:
Yesterday was a much better day. I don't know whether it was upping the meds or just additional time (likely a combo of both) but he was much more his old self. He wanted to run around the yard (had to settle for moving quickly to find a poop spot), finally decided that he could hop out of the crate on his own without me lifting him out, and was moving the leg around and even using it (below - using the cast/ leg to hold his chew).

If this keeps up I'm going to have to add the trazadone back in to chill him out a little because he's totally over being carried and lying quietly on the bed, etc. :) After the pain of last week though I'll take the exuberance (but probably with extra drugs)!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Update:
Yesterday was a much better day. I don't know whether it was upping the meds or just additional time (likely a combo of both) but he was much more his old self. He wanted to run around the yard (had to settle for moving quickly to find a poop spot), finally decided that he could hop out of the crate on his own without me lifting him out, and was moving the leg around and even using it (below - using the cast/ leg to hold his chew).
View attachment 174925

If this keeps up I'm going to have to add the trazadone back in to chill him out a little because he's totally over being carried and lying quietly on the bed, etc. :) After the pain of last week though I'll take the exuberance (but probably with extra drugs)!
I'd MUCH rather have to tranquilize him than have him in such pain! Great news!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Great news about Healthy Paws - they just paid (and very quickly too) for the leg surgery... only (minor) issue was that they deducted the deductible again when we already had it deducted earlier this year, but that will get sorted I'm sure - it's just great that they didn't even question whether the leg condition was pre-existing or not, it's been paid. So relieved!!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Great news about Healthy Paws - they just paid (and very quickly too) for the leg surgery... only (minor) issue was that they deducted the deductible again when we already had it deducted earlier this year, but that will get sorted I'm sure - it's just great that they didn't even question whether the leg condition was pre-existing or not, it's been paid. So relieved!!
That is awesome!!!

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
I'm sure glad to hear that Perry is feeling better. I remember it broke my heart to hear Scout whimper when he moved. I did keep him very sedated the first week and carried him outside to potty. I learned my lesson that puppies need to be crate trained. It was a very long eight weeks x 2! 😬 I asked about PT, but the surgeon said he would recover with activity. I think it was six months before it was ok for him to run. Healthy Paws has been great. The hospital required payment at the time of discharge. They emailed the bill to Healthy Paws and I received a check within a week. They also called awhile after his surgery to inquire how he was recovering. :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'm sure glad to hear that Perry is feeling better. I remember it broke my heart to hear Scout whimper when he moved. I did keep him very sedated the first week and carried him outside to potty. I learned my lesson that puppies need to be crate trained. It was a very long eight weeks x 2! 😬 I asked about PT, but the surgeon said he would recover with activity. I think it was six months before it was ok for him to run. Healthy Paws has been great. The hospital required payment at the time of discharge. They emailed the bill to Healthy Paws and I received a check within a week. They also called awhile after his surgery to inquire how he was recovering. :)
Whimpers are hard enough - the pain "scream" was excruciating, so glad that's (hopefully) done!

I do like Healthy Paws - as I posted, they paid the leg surgery bill very quickly (about a week) and the bill for some follow up meds even faster (2 days?) I paid the vet directly and then submitted the claims online and Healthy Paws reimburses me through direct deposit to my bank account (I had the sending a check before but it's faster to do direct deposit.) I also got an email from them a couple of weeks ago asking how Perry was doing after his "growth removal" (aka biopsy) surgery.

Perry was on very strict crate rest for 3 (almost 4) months for his CCL surgery and then was able to move around normally (including some running around the yard). No PT after that one. For this one, we'll see how he is once he's able to move normally, and will discuss possible PT with the Dr at the 2 month mark (I'm anticipating strict crate rest/ no stairs/ no running for a minimum of 3 months and probably longer so he's getting carried everywhere except when he gets put down on the ground to (1)eat and (2)potty - though he's milking the ability to "walk" around to potty by taking MUCH longer than he usually does to find the "right" spot.

The vet said she wanted him around / not traveling for 3 months, but I imagine we might still have some restrictions after that). Given that i know that I will NOT be able to restrict his jumping forever (even if I personally could, there are too many times when I have to travel and it's unrealistic that hubby or Perry's sitters will be able to restrict it as well) so PT might be the alternative to ensure that his leg is as strong as possible going forward. Will see.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
update on this - no big deal but I hadn't realized so in case anyone else is in the same position (and it makes sense) - Healthy Paws counts "annual" as starting on your policy anniversary date - so that's why I had to pay the deductible again, because our anniversary date is apparently in May (which means we got Perry's policy when he was just over a year NOT at 9-10 months which is what I thought).

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
I just recently cancelled Willow's Healthy Paws insurance. The premium doubled for her and it was going to be just under $100 per month. It was just too high. I'm going to set up a savings program and pay it rather than Healthy Paws. I know I'm taking a risk but any insurance is just playing the odds I guess. The only time I used it they kept asking for information that I already sent and their fax never worked (I don't have a scanner). I can always enroll again in the future (probably with another waiting period). Our insurance commissioner changed the way insurance companies assigned premiums and I've also gotten a notice that our home owners insurance will probably increase. I think that's why Healthy Paws insurance increased so much. I'm glad it's working so well for you and Perry!

·
Registered
358 Posts
So glad to hear Perry is doing better, and that Healthy Paws paid up! We’ve had them ever since Charlie’s first ER visit, for a foxtail in his paw, at about a year and a half old. It was $800 and we were told ‘oh that’s nothing in terms of emergency bills’ so decided to go for it. We’ve only ‘gotten our money’s worth’ (got back more than we put in) one year I think, but I always appreciate the piece of mind of knowing that whatever happens, and however much it costs, we wouldn’t have to ever think twice. I suppose I’m the type of person insurance is made for! I was annoyed that they raised our premium significantly right after his heart murmur was detected and first yearly echo last year, but with that and now the IVDD… and the fact that any of that would now be a ‘pre-existing condition’ with another carrier, they’ve got us! I always tell friends considering insurance to get it when the dog is young and has NO issues, because if you wait until something is diagnosed it can no longer be covered. But it’s definitely a commitment!

I hope Perry continues to do better every day!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
This week's fashion statement is green paw prints :)

Last week's was a repeat of the blue stars so didn't post a picture.

He's doing well, not walking on it yet but I wonder if it's more the "cast" than the leg. He will balance on it but not walk. However, if he wants to play with his hedgehog he wants to pounce on it, so I think that's when he forgets about the bandage so will use it.

Next week is our one month checkup so will have an xray to see how it's doing. I've asked if I could go inside to meet with the vet in person. they said they are still figuring out how to move in that direction but are still not letting people inside but they would ask so will see.

41 - 60 of 152 Posts