Havanese Forum banner
61 - 80 of 152 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
How cute are the little paw prints馃惥

Looks like Perry鈥檚 hair is growing back nicely too! X
Yeah his hair grows really fast - if he were in a really short puppy cut right now you'd have a hard time even seeing where the surgery shaved areas were - it's only because I can't/ won't take him to the groomer for a few more weeks/ month(s) that the rest is getting shaggy and you can see such a difference.

Metrowest, MA
I sent this pic to my sisters... and one of them asked me "why does he always look like a Muppet with a big head when you take his picture".
I told her that my arms are too short to take a picture of him on my lap :)
View attachment 175074
He's an adorable Muppet!!! 馃挆

Registered
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Update (no pic because they used the green paw prints again this week).
Perry's 4 week checkup was yesterday. They took xrays and it's progressing as expected. The pinned bone is showing some healing, but is definitely not healed yet...and the plated one - well, she said that it has a gap and may never fully close which would be fine because it would give it room to be more dynamic (which apparently is a good thing).

He's still not walking on it though he does put it down to balance but she said (and I suspect it's true) that often with the bandage the way it is dogs don't feel comfortable using it, not because of pain or anything like that. She wants to get him out of the bandage as soon as possible because the "elbow needs to drop into place" or something like that, but wants to keep him in the bandage til the next checkup. She did mention that he may need to be in some sort of support after that as well - but I am hoping it can be something that doesn't require the whole leg to be bandaged, but will see. At least now bandage changes can go to every 2 weeks to save me a few 3 hour round trips to go to the vet so they can change his bandages.

I bring him out of the crate to sit with me on the bed for a few hours a day and he's not very interested in chewing on the leg and if he even starts to lick it a quick 'no' or 'eh' stops him easily.

Last week they left a bit more of his foot (toenails) exposed and he managed to push his cone up and reach the nails. He is a nail chewer in general but he ended up chewing two nails down to expose the quick (a little red filament sort of thing sticking out) so this week they bandaged it higher AND I need to use the plastic cone for a while. I really prefer the soft cone and he has been doing really well with it but the toenails and the exposed hair was too much to resist. So we'll see, might try to switch back to it some time next week.

I'm really over not being allowed in the office to meet with the doctor and trying to have these discussions on the phone/ not seeing the xrays with her as we talk etc. I guess I should cross my fingers and hope by the 8 week check (or 7 or 10 week - given that the vet is on vacation weeks 8 and 9 and I don't know if the next checkup is week 7 or week 10 because of that) I'll be able to go in.

Metrowest, MA
Update (no pic because they used the green paw prints again this week).
Perry's 4 week checkup was yesterday. They took xrays and it's progressing as expected. The pinned bone is showing some healing, but is definitely not healed yet...and the plated one - well, she said that it has a gap and may never fully close which would be fine because it would give it room to be more dynamic (which apparently is a good thing).

He's still not walking on it though he does put it down to balance but she said (and I suspect it's true) that often with the bandage the way it is dogs don't feel comfortable using it, not because of pain or anything like that. She wants to get him out of the bandage as soon as possible because the "elbow needs to drop into place" or something like that, but wants to keep him in the bandage til the next checkup. She did mention that he may need to be in some sort of support after that as well - but I am hoping it can be something that doesn't require the whole leg to be bandaged, but will see. At least now bandage changes can go to every 2 weeks to save me a few 3 hour round trips to go to the vet so they can change his bandages.

I bring him out of the crate to sit with me on the bed for a few hours a day and he's not very interested in chewing on the leg and if he even starts to lick it a quick 'no' or 'eh' stops him easily.

Last week they left a bit more of his foot (toenails) exposed and he managed to push his cone up and reach the nails. He is a nail chewer in general but he ended up chewing two nails down to expose the quick (a little red filament sort of thing sticking out) so this week they bandaged it higher AND I need to use the plastic cone for a while. I really prefer the soft cone and he has been doing really well with it but the toenails and the exposed hair was too much to resist. So we'll see, might try to switch back to it some time next week.

I'm really over not being allowed in the office to meet with the doctor and trying to have these discussions on the phone/ not seeing the xrays with her as we talk etc. I guess I should cross my fingers and hope by the 8 week check (or 7 or 10 week - given that the vet is on vacation weeks 8 and 9 and I don't know if the next checkup is week 7 or week 10 because of that) I'll be able to go in.
Do you have an Pad? When Panda was pregnant, they were able to send the ultrasounds and X-ray to me by email so that I could be looking at them in my car and talking to the vet on the phone at the same time. Would that help?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Do you have an Pad? When Panda was pregnant, they were able to send the ultrasounds and X-ray to me by email so that I could be looking at them in my car and talking to the vet on the phone at the same time. Would that help?
I do have a tablet, but not one that has internet, and it would be hard to see the xrays on my phone (especially since my phone SUCKS - I really need a new one :) ). I just wonder why, since these consultations have been going on this long no one is doing zoom appointments at vet offices.

My frustration comes from (in addition to being a visual person and really wanting to be able to see things and point to things during the discussion) the fact that I know there are ways to make it safe(r). For example, it doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" decision. You don't have to suddenly let everyone back in the office to sit in the waiting room, etc. You can do something like making everyone still check in from the parking lot, wait in their cars, and only come in once the initial stuff was done - and then only if the person can show a vaccine card, be masked, and heck even require people to wear gloves. Call them in for the consultation, go straight to the exam room, don't touch anything along the way, and you greatly minimize any risk (which is still there anyway because the nurses are interacting with the owners in the parking lot when they get the pups) and still get a proper consultation.

I feel like it's still in place because it makes their lives easier, they can move through patients faster, etc. I know that's not entirely fair - I know there are risks being in a situation where you have hundreds of people cycling through the office every day - but I wish they would figure it out a little faster and open up at least a little!

Metrowest, MA
I do have a tablet, but not one that has internet, and it would be hard to see the xrays on my phone (especially since my phone SUCKS - I really need a new one :) ). I just wonder why, since these consultations have been going on this long no one is doing zoom appointments at vet offices.

My frustration comes from (in addition to being a visual person and really wanting to be able to see things and point to things during the discussion) the fact that I know there are ways to make it safe(r). For example, it doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" decision. You don't have to suddenly let everyone back in the office to sit in the waiting room, etc. You can do something like making everyone still check in from the parking lot, wait in their cars, and only come in once the initial stuff was done - and then only if the person can show a vaccine card, be masked, and heck even require people to wear gloves. Call them in for the consultation, go straight to the exam room, don't touch anything along the way, and you greatly minimize any risk (which is still there anyway because the nurses are interacting with the owners in the parking lot when they get the pups) and still get a proper consultation.

I feel like it's still in place because it makes their lives easier, they can move through patients faster, etc. I know that's not entirely fair - I know there are risks being in a situation where you have hundreds of people cycling through the office every day - but I wish they would figure it out a little faster and open up at least a little!
I agree!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

Registered
Our vet hospital is back to normal..check in inside, sit in separated areas while waiting. They started allowing owners inside for tech visits a few weeks ago because they are typically short visits for shots etc but just sent out email that they are fully reopened. Vaccinated clients don鈥檛 need to wear masks but unvaccinated are supposed to, per state, local and cdc guidelines. No new clients being served for awhile. They, like many vets were overwhelmed with new pets etc and closed to any new clients for now. We are in Silicon Valley with very high vaccination rates (over 82% by last report). I still wear mask inside anywhere because I don鈥檛 trust the unvaccinated to play by rules, but things are getting better. Last year has been stressful for even doing routine vet visit, let alone serious ones.

Premium Member
We're in the same area as Cassandra. Last weekend we took our two for their yearly well check... last years was missed. I had to wait over a month to get an appointment. I was considering changing hospitals since our hospital is even limiting emergency cases. I called five hospitals and none were accepting new clients. Our hospital will accept a new pet if you are a client. Last week we had to call when arriving and wear a mask. One person was allowed to go into the exam room. This week they have opened up. Masks are only required for the unvaccinated. I'm glad we went last weekend! Our county is 88.8% vaccinated. I just ordered more masks. :)

Metrowest, MA
We're in the same area as Cassandra. Last weekend we took our two for their yearly well check... last years was missed. I had to wait over a month to get an appointment. I was considering changing hospitals since our hospital is even limiting emergency cases. I called five hospitals and none were accepting new clients. Our hospital will accept a new pet if you are a client. Last week we had to call when arriving and wear a mask. One person was allowed to go into the exam room. This week they have opened up. Masks are only required for the unvaccinated. I'm glad we went last weekend! Our county is 88.8% vaccinated. I just ordered more masks. :)
I JUST got an e-mail from my vet鈥檚 office that, starting Monday, one person will be allowed in with the animal. Curbside service still required for food and med pick-ups and tech-only appointments to limit congestion In their limited front office/entry area. I can live with that!

Metrowest, MA
poor guy hoping he recover soon. good thing that you use a soft cone or you can use this Lick Sleeve this is what my dog used when he undergoes tplo surgery

The smallest size is for 30-50 lbs! Doesn't sound suitable for a Havanese! What kind of dog do you have?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
poor guy hoping he recover soon. good thing that you use a soft cone or you can use this Lick Sleeve this is what my dog used when he undergoes tplo surgery
I do have a boot for him when we go out which helps keep moisture out - the problem with anything that keeps moisture out is that it also keeps it in - and with the boot, at least, it can build up condensation inside so he can't wear it all the time.

My sister had a body suit for her dog after surgery and she was still able to cause damage to the surgical site through it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #76 ·

We're blue and white today. Week 8 should be checkup but his ortho vet is on vacation so bandage change instead and check up at week 10.

Leg looks fine except for being all sticky from the bandages so major grooming will be needed once they're off for good. No ruba or sores which are they major concern of extended bandage wearing so that's good

Also had car trouble so had the car towed from 1 1/2 hours away from home. Luckily Finleys mom was in the same city for the day for work so getting a ride back with her. These things never can happen near home can they.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Love the pic and and the fact that it hasn鈥檛 rubbed Perry鈥檚 skin at all馃檪.

You are right it is definitely illegal for a car to break down just up the road from where you live馃槫馃槅
It's even worse here than it would be where you are because we, in the US, are fundamentally opposed to good public transport systems :) so if we weren't lucky and Finley's Mom was actually in this city (if it had been last week she wouldn't have been) we would have had to sit there for at least 2 hours waiting for someone to come get us - IF my nephew was free immediately (because everyone else was working)... so instead we had to sit around for an hour and a bit until they finished their field trip so we could get a ride back with them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I talked to the nurse about being able to meet with the vet in person for the checkup - she said that the Dr. was being very cautious because she has little kids at home, but that she'd talk to her about coming out to the parking lot with her laptop to meet with me (I assured her that I had my vaccine card and would stay masked - and would wear gloves or do anything else she wanted because I really wanted to meet with her in person for this check up).

It also made me think about all the discussions we've had about the overload at vets offices since COVID - because she said there was no way that they would be opening up inside appointments for a long time - not only because of the risk but because they've had a 75% increase in patients since COVID and the exam / consultation rooms are all currently full with offices and animal crates for patients so they don't even currently have any space for meeting inside.

Owned by a Havallon
@Melissa Brill I sure hope you get to meet up in person. My vet has actually opened up and the dogs go in soon so hopefully they continue this policy until I get them in. We are supposed to wear a mask but that is it.

61 - 80 of 152 Posts