Havanese Forum banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Im so glad he’s healing well and no irritation! I hope that you’re able to go talk to the vet in person… our vet is now allowing one person (masked) with the dog, and it was so much better to be able to talk face to face!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Im so glad he’s healing well and no irritation! I hope that you’re able to go talk to the vet in person… our vet is now allowing one person (masked) with the dog, and it was so much better to be able to talk face to face!
At the hospital where he goes, many of the other doctors are consulting in person (I've seen them out in the parking lot with tablets and white boards to illustrate things :) and when Duncan was there a couple of months ago for his yearly ultrasound (gallbladder issues) his vet came out without being asked to discuss his results with me. The nurse said that his ortho vet is being especially cautious because she has small kids at home, but hopefully she'd be willing to come out to meet with us.

·
Registered
284 Posts
At the hospital where he goes, many of the other doctors are consulting in person (I've seen them out in the parking lot with tablets and white boards to illustrate things :) and when Duncan was there a couple of months ago for his yearly ultrasound (gallbladder issues) his vet came out without being asked to discuss his results with me. The nurse said that his ortho vet is being especially cautious because she has small kids at home, but hopefully she'd be willing to come out to meet with us.
Oh, I hope so! I totally get people with small kids being extra cautious… but fingers crossed that the ortho vet is ok with a masked parking lot meet up! It’s wild how creative people have had to get this year… I’m sure vets never in a million years thought they’d be drawing on white boards in parking lots!!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
I talked to the nurse about being able to meet with the vet in person for the checkup - she said that the Dr. was being very cautious because she has little kids at home, but that she'd talk to her about coming out to the parking lot with her laptop to meet with me (I assured her that I had my vaccine card and would stay masked - and would wear gloves or do anything else she wanted because I really wanted to meet with her in person for this check up).

It also made me think about all the discussions we've had about the overload at vets offices since COVID - because she said there was no way that they would be opening up inside appointments for a long time - not only because of the risk but because they've had a 75% increase in patients since COVID and the exam / consultation rooms are all currently full with offices and animal crates for patients so they don't even currently have any space for meeting inside.
Also, as soon as we thought we were getting a breather, Delta has made things so much worse! And I just read a peer reviewed paper that said that eben with the vaccine, 20% of the people who GET a break-through case are getting long Covid symptoms. That’s not that much better than unvaccinated, which is 25% of cases. So even though you probably won’t end up in the hospital or die (if, unlike me, you have a normal immune system) you could STILL end up with problems from it for the rest of your life. Even from a mild case. And even kids. No thanks.

Really the ONLY thing that makes me somewhat hopeful is that the Spanish Flu pandemic did, eventually, burn itself out and disappear, completely on its own, with no human intervention, because humans had no way of dealing with it. I really think that is the ONLY way we are going to completely see out of this. 😢

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Perry looks great. :) It is a real delight to see Perry having fun playing, within his restrictions. What a little trooper he is! :love: Hope soon he will be doing zoomies around the dining room table??
Thanks. I hope so too. I suspect that zoomies are at least a month away if not longer since his zoomies generally involve ricocheting off the seats of the two couches as part of the process. Hopefully though we can at least go outside on the long leash and chase a ball within a month.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
That is SO cute! He is SUCH a good boy!
He is. I am completely aware that I have been extremely lucky about how patient he has been.

I do feel like his separation anxiety (when we go somewhere) has gotten worse - whether that's COVID / me being home all the time related or because he's in the crate so much longer OR a combination of both. It's gotten to the point that even if I leave the room (he's still ok if we're in the room) for more than 10-15 minutes which wasn't an issue before AND when we do get back it's obvious that he's been drooling and very worked up. So, at some point we'll have to figure out how to deal with that.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
He is. I am completely aware that I have been extremely lucky about how patient he has been.

I do feel like his separation anxiety (when we go somewhere) has gotten worse - whether that's COVID / me being home all the time related or because he's in the crate so much longer OR a combination of both. It's gotten to the point that even if I leave the room (he's still ok if we're in the room) for more than 10-15 minutes which wasn't an issue before AND when we do get back it's obvious that he's been drooling and very worked up. So, at some point we'll have to figure out how to deal with that.
Poor boy! You can hardly blame him! With being so COMPLETELY confined and entirely dependent on you, it is no wonder he worries when you aren’t right there. He’s a dog who has a real REASON to worry!

But Covid has been so hard on all of them. I’m having a hard time getting Panda back into work. She is worrying in training in a way she never used to pre-Covid/puppies/C-section/having a puppy with her when she’s training… but SOOOO much has changed in her little life.

She has her “annul” physical tomorrow, which was delayed because she was pregnant when it SHOULD have been done. Because of Kodi’s TBD episode, and knowing that TBD’s can also cause personality changes, I am going to have the vet check that, and also pull a thyroid panel on her, jut to rule out all PHYSICAL possibilities. But I THINK it is just pain a combination of 18 months of isolation, not trialing, being away from training around other (bigger) dogs, plus mild, “background worry” about her puppy while she is trying to concentrate on doing HER work. I think I’ve just got to take it really slow and easy, keep it fun for her and let her come back at her own pace. She’s fine around the house, though. It’s just that she doesn’t want to engage in training when we go for our lessons.

But she ALSO hasn’t just gone through the huge surgery Perry has, right on top of changing homes And moving in with a bunch of dogs he may have known, but wasn’t used to living with all the time!

·
Registered
571 Posts
It’s so lovely to see how full of beans and happy Perry is😍😍. You must be thrill he is coping so well. It would never have occurred to me to play with Flo if she ever faces bed rest, but such a a great idea🙂🙂

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
It’s so lovely to see how full of beans and happy Perry is😍😍. You must be thrill he is coping so well. It would never have occurred to me to play with Flo if she ever faces bed rest, but such a a great idea🙂🙂
All I will say is that if I didn't play with him somehow at least a little every night he would drive me out of my bloomin' mind! Luckily, he's happy to play with his (much mended) hedgehog like this. One day I was going to try something similar on the floor with a ball, but he got so excited when I took it out and was hopping around (you know when they take both front feet off the ground and then bang them down) that i was afraid he was going to slam the bad leg down and mess it up, so we can't do this with his ball.

He only needs 5-10 minutes of this - either on the floor or on the bed and then he's happy to gnaw on it or on his antler or himalayan chew for a while then he's good to just chill on the bed with us while we watch TV.

He is coping amazingly well. The harder part is coming I know - when the "cast" comes off but he's not allowed to jump/ do stairs - I'm curious what sort of "support" the vet might want to keep on the leg (she said she might - will depend on the next xray) - hoping it is one that won't require him to keep the cone on... I'm already looking at ways to barricade part of the bedroom so he can run around a little bit but not have access to the bed to jump. I'm hoping I can put an xpen to give him some space... I may have to rearrange part of the bedroom to do it though.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Perry update.
Today we graduated from the fiberglass splint with bandages to a popsicle stick splint with bandage (and we're back to yellow with green bones :) ).

I was able to meet with the vet and see the x-rays. The pin in the ulna (or was it radius?) is HUGE - basically the whole length of the bone. She said that eventually she'll probably want to pull it out (once the leg was fully healed) because pins can migrate, but that it would be fine for quite a while. The plate and 4 pins in the radius (or was it ulna - I may be switching the two) looks big on the x-ray, but then again anything would look big on those tiny legs! The change in the leg though looking at the x-ray is really significant - I'm going to ask her to send me them and I'll post them - you'll be amazed at how twisted it really was and how much straighter it is now.

As far as healing... basically she'd like to see a little more bone growth than there is so far, but it is filling in on both bones. She said though that with a lot of dogs it tends to grow faster/ better when they start using their leg and he's still not using it much. Even without the whole area regrown, the pin and the plate should keep it stabilized.

However, today with new style split I've seen him using it a little more than he did with the fiberglass splint, so hopefully he'll use it more over the next two weeks.

We have to wait until the bandages are off before he can start PT. Today she did seem to think that might be a good idea especially since Perry still isn't enthusiastic about using the leg (she said that some dogs are just happier using 3 rather than starting to use the other leg).

We discussed the back leg surgery. She said that since it's only slipping sometimes - as a "perfectionist" she said she would want to go in and fix it for good but that it wasn't urgent - that we should wait for the front leg to be completely healed and could wait 6 months - year to do the back knee. She also thought that PT could help strengthen his back leg as well and maybe avoid surgery on that knee. But at least I know at this point that it's not a rush to do that one... we can wait a while, let everything heal up (and have some time without him in a cone/ being carried).

We have another check up in 2 weeks - will see if the bandage/ splint can come off then so we can start PT (though I am really nervous about how he pounces around if he doesn't have a splint on it).

We talked about the CAT scan result showing something about his eye ("ciliary body changes") and so have a consultation with the ophthalmologist scheduled for Sept 1 - same day we have his next ortho check up (the ophthalmologist didn't have any appointments free but they squeezed us in so we didn't have to drive down twice which I thought was really great of them). Hopefully he'll say it's nothing, but figured since we had the CAT scan results, we'd do a consult to find out if it was anything to worry about.

She told me that they had gotten so many new patients during the pandemic - great because people have gotten pets and are taking care of them, but they - like I've heard from other people - have sometimes had to shut their ER (as an emergency vet hospital!) because they have run out of capacity to take new cases! It's scary when even the emergency hospitals can't be counted on during an emergency!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Great update Melissa😀😀.

Doesn’t Perry look pleased with his new style of splint too☺

Your vet sounds like a very level headed person who knows exactly what she’s doing, and is just the sort of person I would like to be treating Flo if we were in a similar situation. It must be reassuring to hear she has Perry’s long term plan figured out. In some ways I think they have to look after us as much as the animals😘

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Great update Melissa😀😀.

Doesn’t Perry look pleased with his new style of splint too☺

Your vet sounds like a very level headed person who knows exactly what she’s doing, and is just the sort of person I would like to be treating Flo if we were in a similar situation. It must be reassuring to hear she has Perry’s long term plan figured out. In some ways I think they have to look after us as much as the animals😘
I do like Perry's ortho vet very much and is totally worth the 3 hours round trip to see her (now every 2 weeks, but once a week for the first month). She also understands that we are really anxious to get out of here - so works around our travel and figuring out the best schedules/ plans for us. When Perry had his CCL surgery we worked it out so that we were here in the US for 2 weeks right after the surgery (for the first checkup/ removing the staples), then she had no problem with us moving back to Kampala, keeping him on crate rest/ tethered for 3 months (It's usually 2 and then check up but we weren't going to be back til Christmas) and then brought him back for a checkup. This time she did want him around for the first couple of months, but she knows we're getting antsy sitting around, so that factors in to her thinking as well.

Perry does seem to prefer this splint - even though the stick does come all the way down and hits the floor, it seems like he's more comfortable using it than the fiberglass splint that was molded to his leg and came around under his foot (so lifted it off the floor a few centimeters).

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
X-rays...
So it's easy to see which is the before and after :) With this much metal in his leg I should start calling him bionic boy or something :).

You can see the first picture how really twisted the leg was. In the second, she put a pin in one bone (after cutting it and removing a piece) and a plate in the other. She said the bone is starting to grow back between the two though even if it didn't it would be fine - she said that sometimes when there's a tumor they cut the piece out and pin it and the ligaments hold it in place with no problem. The pin will likely come out at some point.

It amazes me how big the plate is - 6 screws, how in the world do you even fit 6 screws on that tiny little leg???

It's amazing how much straighter it is though. You can see here the wedge she cut on the one bone (with the plate) to straighten it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
X-rays...
So it's easy to see which is the before and after :) With this much metal in his leg I should start calling him bionic boy or something :).

You can see the first picture how really twisted the leg was. In the second, she put a pin in one bone (after cutting it and removing a piece) and a plate in the other. She said the bone is starting to grow back between the two though even if it didn't it would be fine - she said that sometimes when there's a tumor they cut the piece out and pin it and the ligaments hold it in place with no problem. The pin will likely come out at some point.
View attachment 175519 View attachment 175520

It amazes me how big the plate is - 5 screws, how in the world do you even fit 5 screws on that tiny little leg???
View attachment 175521 View attachment 175522

It's amazing how much straighter it is though. You can see here the wedge she cut on the one bone (with the plate) to straighten it out.
View attachment 175524
Wow what a MASSIVE difference!!! Perry will feel so much more comfortable once he is completely healed🙂

81 - 100 of 115 Posts