Havanese Forum banner
121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
So..... drum roll..... Perry is OFF restriction!

Happily, over the last 4 weeks the bone has regrown and is now completely solid under the plate so the vet lifted all restrictions so he can run and jump and do stairs and everything. We'll continue PT to help strengthen the leg.

She also thinks that maybe some of his issues with using the leg consistenly might have to do with the pin - it's pretty close to the tendon and she thinks it might rub against the tendon when he bends his leg (you can feel the pin when she palpated the leg) - not something that would hurt but might feel weird to him. She had said previously that she'd probably want to take the pin out at some point once the bone was healed, so with the possible irritation as well, we've got an appointment for next Tuesday to take out the pin. It will mean he has to skip PT (no swimming) until the incision is healed - but it sounds like a very quick/ simple procedure to remove it - small incision, pull it out, a couple of stitches. We'll do it Tuesday, so he'll miss 1 PT appointment, they'll take out the stitches the following Friday and then he can go to PT - so we'll only miss 1 appointment.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Other interesting tidbits from talking to the vet... Perry apparently has some "favorite" techs/ nurses in the office (mister suspicious of everyone) - we were talking about how he will use the leg when he's not thinking about it and she agreed - said that when he would see one of his "favorite techs" he'd go running over to see them using the leg with no problem. And when he would be walking around he'd use it as he was exploring and "interested in everything".

She also said "when I am sitting reviewing his records and he puts his front legs up on me, he's got equal pressure on both legs" - which is great for his leg strength, but also tells me that he really likes her - since he does NOT do that to everyone and can take weeks/ months to feel comfortable enough to do that with people, let alone with someone who most likely has done things to him that hurt during exams, etc.

He also has done really well with all the xrays - doing the leg xrays without anesthesia.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
yep and when we got home he immediately ran up the stairs as if it hadn't been about 4 months since he'd been allowed to do that.
Awww! That makes my heart happy!!! 💕

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
What wonderful news! And so nice that he has made friends at the office despite the unpleasantness! Sounds like you have a wonderful team
I do love the team and especially his ortho vet at Valley Central (in Whitehall PA) -- worth the 1 hour and a half drive (each way). They're also great about taking our drive into account - previously squeezing Perry in for an eye check on the same day as his ortho appointment, despite the fact that they eye doctor was completely booked up that day, and trying to get him done early on surgery days (like the pin removal next week) so that we don't have to sit around all day waiting for him to get done.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Perry is looking great😊

It must be so much more comfortable for him in the long run.
I hope it will - at this point we're just waiting/ hoping that he'll finally use the leg ALL the time (still isn't - but more often than before) and then we can get really serious about concentrating on strengthening it. We've got weekly physio sessions - next one is tomorrow so hopefully i will remember to take a picture of him in the tank with his life jacket on!!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
I hope it will - at this point we're just waiting/ hoping that he'll finally use the leg ALL the time (still isn't - but more often than before) and then we can get really serious about concentrating on strengthening it. We've got weekly physio sessions - next one is tomorrow so hopefully i will remember to take a picture of him in the tank with his life jacket on!!
I wanted so much to get photos of Kodi in the water treadmill, but ALL of that was during the height of Covid and I never got to be in there with him.

Reactions: Melissa Brill
121 - 140 of 152 Posts