Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This pet food re-call has been making news on all the other groups. Nothing has been mentioned here. So I thought I would let you know.

$60 Million of pet food has been re-call.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I have been following this recall for 2 days. They now have a list of the recalled cat and dog food on their website. It's really funny that the 3 supposed best foods - Iams, Eukanuba and Science Diet - are on the list. Also, Nutro brand is on the list as well as many others. Maybe that's why Kodi stopped eating Nutro? Everyone please check it out.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kara, I think they said canned food, but I would check it our further. By the way, my two love Little Cesar. Vet said it was like feeding them cake. So I mix it with a better food, or sometimes cooked chicken, turkey or beef.

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
Debbie and Irnfit,
Thanks for posting that information. That is a long list of brands of animal food.

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
Thanks. Here's the nutritional information I found on Cesar Puppy:

Metabolizable Energy:
Approximately 100 kcals per 3.5 oz. (100 g) tray

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein, Min 9%
Crude Fat, Min 8%
Crude Fiber, Max 1%
Moisture, Max 80%

That doesn't seem too terribly bad, does it? How many calories per day does a 3 lb puppy need? I've been feeding her half a tray at lunch and the rest at dinner.....she won't touch the dry Iams with that in her bowl, but I'm giving her the dry Iams in the morning and she's only eating a little bit, with small portions of treats throughout the day (she's been SOOO very good!) Do they not have to list exact amount of fats on dog food? I'm a little confused by the Minumun 8% fat?? Gosh, that could really be a play on numbers!!! :eek:

hugs,
Kara

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
I've seen the recall, but neither my cats, nor my dogs are on any of those foods. Cats eat perscription diet something SO (for their urniary tract health) and all my dogs are now on Evo and I add in a little bit of human beef/chickn or whatever we have leftover. I just ground it up and sprinkle on the food. The poodles just clean their plates right up, but Bugsy is really picky...sigh.

Kara - I have no idea how many calories the little puppy needs, I just go by the guidelines on the food. I make adjustments depending on how much I add to the food, how well the puppy ate at previous feeding, etc. I also regularly weigh him to make sure he is gaining correctly. I've never fed Little Cesar (never use supermaket dog food) and am not fond of Iams either. Have you checked into other puppy food?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I think you should check because it was both wet and dry food - Dog food cat food .
A lot of the popular brands were named including Iams and Ekanuba .
You do not want to take a chance . Dogs do not do well with kidney failure ..
It is very scary to me .
It is supposed to be a gluten but they are not sure ..

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
All the research that I did indicated that it was only the wet cat & dog foods, in cans or pouches, that were meat with gravy. 'All the online stuff I read & newspaper articles all said wet only. Please tell me where you read dry food. Logan eats Nutro so now I am a little concerned, although I also thought that I read it was related to the wheat product, and his Nutra is 'Wheat Free.
Laurie

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kara, it's not the breakdown you posted. It's what kind of protein, fat, carb, etc. There are better foods out there, but mine will not eat them. I just add stuff to it to make it a little healthier. They also get Royal Canin kibble.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There seems to be more and more wet dog food added all the time to this recall. It is confusing. I guess my sister in laws vet said the right thing. Stay away from all wet dog food until things calm down and the information is better. Not a bad idea.

I used chicken broth over his food tonight.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Kara, there is a great list of how to evaluate your dog's food somewhere in here.... I'll try to find a link for you.

http://www.havaneseforum.com/showthread.php?t=390&page=3

Leeann posted it there, but it's lost in a 5 page thread. I'm going to start a new thread so it's easier for others to find. Hope that's o.k. with everyone...

I wouldn't recommend feeding wet food on a regular basis simply because your pup might have tartar problems sooner rather than later. If Gucci knows there's some L.C. coming later at dinnertime, then she just might be choosing to ignore the dry stuff! They are clever little pups! lol

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I went to the pet store for dry food yesterday, and the shelves were fully stocked. I wonder why they haven't pulled the recalled foods yet? I think by today the shelves were probably empty, because the story is all over the news. Very scary stuff. They also said they don't think the suspected wheat gluten was used in human foods :eek:

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Laurie, everything that I've been able to find has indicated that Nutro's products involved have only been canned. I'm finishing up a bag of Nutro Ultra myself right now. We have had several pets in the area die from kidney failure related to the foods, so they definatly made it to the shelves here in the midwest :(
I have been sampling other foods and am in the process of switching to Wellness. Has anyone had any problelms with it?

Beverly

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
Thanks so much for all your insights! They are MUCH appreciated! I am off to buy some "safe" dry food tomorrow, I found some suggestions on another thread about high rated dog foods. She is doing just GREAT! Just the sweetest puppy with the best disposition and training is going VERY well! I'm so impressed, such a SMART, loving puppy! :D

Kara

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I read in the paper Marin Inderpendent Journal - There is a long list of foods that are affeected but yes you are right it is just the cuts annd gravy style foods .
They recommend you check the menu Foods website
WWW.menufoods.com/recall they have also posted phone numbers
866 463 6738
866 895 2708
Hope this helps relieve some of the anxiety ..

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Kara, that's wonderful news! We can't wait to see some pics of your cutie!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
With this recall, I'm glad mine eat Little Cesar. It's made by another company and not on recall list. Last week I bought them a food that was veggies and a whole chicken thigh. I thought it looked greatm smelled good, but I ended up giving it to the cats, because they wouldn't eat it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi! I'm new to the Forum. I have a beautiful white Havanese, fourteen months old, weighing 8 lbs. and the joy of my life. I feed her Flintriver which is a dry food and is only available through direct order from the company. It is available in several meat varieties, has no additives or preservatives. I add organic chicken or beef which I cook. This food problem is very scary.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts