Havanese Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Pam went to a website today that compared policies. She just picked the one on top of the list. For a 12 week old puppy, a $250 deductible Major Medical policy for our zipcode was $23.88 a month. To include Preventative, it was 24.99. I don't know any more details, and she doesn't either. It was just for curiosity.

With what any veterinary procedure costs these days, it seems pretty reasonable.

As an aside, our website might be back up tomorrow. I moved to a new domain host, and it's down completely now, but we very well might be able to edit and update it tomorrow.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,809 Posts
Pam went to a website today that compared policies. She just picked the one on top of the list. For a 12 week old puppy, a $250 deductible Major Medical policy for our zipcode was $23.88 a month. To include Preventative, it was 24.99. I don't know any more details, and she doesn't either. It was just for curiosity.

With what any veterinary procedure costs these days, it seems pretty reasonable.
Exactly. It’s quite a bit higher in my area… I had to accept a $750 deductible and major medical only to get a premium of around $30 for 8 week old Ducky… and I did shop around. But even for THAT kind of coverage, I think for that price, it’s well worth it. Kodi had 2 “issues” in his first few years… obstruction due to a Greenie, hospitalization for a couple of days, treated medically, no surgery needed $2,000. Then a ham string injury. I’m not sure how much it cost over time, but with numerous doctor visits, diagnostics, then finally PT once we had a dx, I’m sure it was WELL over $2000 when all was said and done. And both of those were really relatively minor In the scheme of things. If that obstruction had become surgical… I would have gotten my money’s worth out of insurance on him in his first couple of years, for sure! LOL! It really doesn’t take that much.

No good breeder purposely produces a puppy with bad patellas. But they happen occasionally. They are not “life threatening” in most cases, so I suppose, technically not covered by most puppy contracts. OTOH, I’d feel bad if I produced a puppy with bad enough patellas that it needed surgery. If the puppy can be insured for a reasonable amount of money, it protects the puppy, the new owner AND me.

Reactions: JaJa

·
Member (Teresa)
925 Posts
Exactly. It’s quite a bit higher in my area… I had to accept a $750 deductible and major medical only to get a premium of around $30 for 8 week old Ducky… and I did shop around. But even for THAT kind of coverage, I think for that price, it’s well worth it. Kodi had 2 “issues” in his first few years… obstruction due to a Greenie, hospitalization for a couple of days, treated medically, no surgery needed $2,000. Then a ham string injury. I’m not sure how much it cost over time, but with numerous doctor visits, diagnostics, then finally PT once we had a dx, I’m sure it was WELL over $2000 when all was said and done. And both of those were really relatively minor In the scheme of things. If that obstruction had become surgical… I would have gotten my money’s worth out of insurance on him in his first couple of years, for sure! LOL! It really doesn’t take that much.

No good breeder purposely produces a puppy with bad patellas. But they happen occasionally. They are not “life threatening” in most cases, so I suppose, technically not covered by most puppy contracts. OTOH, I’d feel bad if I produced a puppy with bad enough patellas that it needed surgery. If the puppy can be insured for a reasonable amount of money, it protects the puppy, the new owner AND me.
We have basic insurance for Jodie and Cotton which is close to the costs Tom listed. JoJo had patella luxation his entire life and never needed surgery. After he began having periodic seizures and juvenile cataracts I contacted the breeder on 3 occasions and she refused to acknowledge me. I told her we loved JoJo and weren't seeking any type of monetary, or other, compensation. I just thought she might want to know. It's been 16 years and the website still has the same pics and no updates. That's why I was SO picky finding a breeder for Jodie. When people ask Ed about it he responds with "She was, is and will always be worth every penny." Even though Cotton is Daddy's little boy Ed doesn't play favorites. Unfortunately for Jodie, neither do I 😋 That's how I know that you and Tom are exemplary breeders!

·
Super Moderator
3,774 Posts
That's why I was SO picky finding a breeder for Jodie. When people ask Ed about it he responds with "She was, is and will always be worth every penny."
Your ED and Ricky's Momi are exactly alike. When we purchased Ricky she said, "We just paid how much for a dog?!" Today she says Ricky is priceless. Anything Ricky wants, needs, or has to have, there is never any discussion about the cost.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We're in Los Angeles County and I just did a quick search for Ursa. With Embrace, the accident & illness plan with an annual max. of $15k, deductible of $500 and 90% reimbursement would be $53.37.

By the way, is $15k max annual reimbursement reasonable?

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
I used one of the comparison sites, too. The difference between a plan with no yearly max and a limited yearly max was $3/month. Although the rate suggested to me seemed low, $24, once I read the fine print it stated that any diagnostic tests and exams were separate! Adding those on was another $4. For a plan with a lower deductible, no yearly max, and both diagnostic and treatment coverage, it was $31 for an 8 week old puppy. Out of curiosity I entered the same criteria for the plan using zip codes for two different states and in one state it was $2 cheaper and in the other it was $4 more. I was surprised that in the more metropolitan area it was less expensive.

Here’s the crazy thing: I ran it one last time with Sundance’s age of 4 years (before I entered 8 weeks). The company recommended to me previously as the best value by the comparison tool didn’t come up at all. But the recommended plan that came up was $18/month, less than the puppy plan! Once I was directed to the site, I found some plans did start at $18 but those seemed very limited. The plans with coverage for both illness and injury and with no yearly limit started at $21. I don’t know if that was accurate because it didn’t specify the type of illness/injury Sundance had previously, I’d have to register to continue. I suspect there is some reason the price is lower for 4yrs and the premium would increase with age.

The plan I just found is also less expensive than the one DH came across a while ago. Sundance has his annual exam coming up and I think I may sign up at that time.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,809 Posts
We're in Los Angeles County and I just did a quick search for Ursa. With Embrace, the accident & illness plan with an annual max. of $15k, deductible of $500 and 90% reimbursement would be $53.37.

By the way, is $15k max annual reimbursement reasonable?
some policies have no maximum. I think Ursula is a puppy? If you are seriously looking, I’d KEEP looking! Also, it’s entirely up to you, of course, but I was willing to accept a higher deductible to have a lower monthly premium. A number of companies offer that.

Reactions: UrsaMinor

·
Metrowest, MA
29,809 Posts
I used one of the comparison sites, too. The difference between a plan with no yearly max and a limited yearly max was $3/month. Although the rate suggested to me seemed low, $24, once I read the fine print it stated that any diagnostic tests and exams were separate! Adding those on was another $4. For a plan with a lower deductible, no yearly max, and both diagnostic and treatment coverage, it was $31 for an 8 week old puppy. Out of curiosity I entered the same criteria for the plan using zip codes for two different states and in one state it was $2 cheaper and in the other it was $4 more. I was surprised that in the more metropolitan area it was less expensive.

Here’s the crazy thing: I ran it one last time with Sundance’s age of 4 years (before I entered 8 weeks). The company recommended to me previously as the best value by the comparison tool didn’t come up at all. But the recommended plan that came up was $18/month, less than the puppy plan! Once I was directed to the site, I found some plans did start at $18 but those seemed very limited. The plans with coverage for both illness and injury and with no yearly limit started at $21. I don’t know if that was accurate because it didn’t specify the type of illness/injury Sundance had previously, I’d have to register to continue. I suspect there is some reason the price is lower for 4yrs and the premium would increase with age.

The plan I just found is also less expensive than the one DH came across a while ago. Sundance has his annual exam coming up and I think I may sign up at that time.
Can you findthat comparison site and share it? That would be VERY helpful!

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
There are a few but I used the Forbes version. “Comparison” might not be the best choice of words, because I didn’t see a way to view the plans in detail side by side, at least on mobile. But most companies I’m aware of seem to be included in one place on the site and are rated with concrete criteria so it’s easy to make comparisons between them. There are other sites that do have chart type comparison regarding coverage details and deductibles but it does not include the monthly premium since it varies. When I search “dog insurance comparison” all of them technically show up tagged as ads, probably because the links are click through, but the information seems accurate.

·
Member (Teresa)
925 Posts
Your ED and Ricky's Momi are exactly alike. When we purchased Ricky she said, "We just paid how much for a dog?!" Today she says Ricky is priceless. Anything Ricky wants, needs, or has to have, there is never any discussion about the cost.
Bingo❣That is why, last year, we decided to just stay in this house and not upgrade to a fancy neighborhood. We qualify financially (since we're old😆) but I would have to alter my favorite past time. That's not happening! Isn't it funny/wonderful how a Havanese can quickly soften a pensive attitude? Ed was just as devastated as me last March when we lost JoJo. Still having 2 more didn't lessen our grief for him 💖 We are grateful for Cotton and Jodie and we can't imagine not having Havanese in our lives no matter how old we get!

·
Super Moderator
3,774 Posts
Isn't it funny/wonderful how a Havanese can quickly soften a pensive attitude? Ed was just as devastated as me last March when we lost JoJo. Still having 2 more didn't lessen our grief for him 💖 We are grateful for Cotton and Jodie and we can't imagine not having Havanese in our lives no matter how old we get!
Havanese aren't dogs, they are beloved members of your immediate family. 🤩

·
Premium Member
4,832 Posts
Out of curiosity, I got a quote from Healthy Paws on Ricky Ricardo an 8 y.o. male, 11 - 20 pound small breed canine. Here are some of the details:
  • $44 per month premium
  • Only two deductibles were offered, $750 and $1,000. I selected $750
  • Three coverages were offered. 70%, 60%, and 50%. I selected 70%
  • Premiums are good for 12 months only and can be changed due to dog age and increased veterinary care in your zip code
  • Coverage starts 30 days AFTER the start of premium payments
  • Pre-existing conditions are excluded
  • Routine care is not covered plus there are a lot of other exclusions like hip dysplasia.
  • For canines over 6 y.o., no qualifying Vet exam is require
I can't remember the exact premium cost nine years ago, but it was around $40.00 for Scout. It has doubled over the years. For us it was a good decision. My friend had a $12,000.00 bill for one week of hospitalization.

·
Member (Teresa)
925 Posts
I can't remember the exact premium cost nine years ago, but it was around $40.00 for Scout. It has doubled over the years. For us it was a good decision. My friend had a $12,000.00 bill for one week of hospitalization.
Yikes!😱 It's definitely worth the premiums for emergency coverag.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts