Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are elated! We just picked out the newest member of our family from the litter <3 Cannot wait to bring him home & get started with training and adjusting everyone to the new normal. We have a whole list of things to buy to prepare and I've already yelped/googled spots for daycares, vets, walkers, trainers, etc. It will still be a few months before we can take him home but it's good to prepare! Would love any one's suggestions on what helped them with a new puppy.

On the fence about names, but it will definitely be food-related (family tradition) and Japanese, which is my background & my husband's preference. Right now we're between two:

Natto (pronounced NOT-OH): One of my family's favourite foods tho it is an acquired taste. This name is in the lead despite the fact it will have to be a whole thing to explain each time. We're pretty much already referring to him by this name, and my husband loves it (even tho he doesn't like the food!)

Toro (otherwise known as fatty tuna): We like the sound of this & my parents' Havi is named Taco so we like the similarity. Taco (really tako) also means 'octopus' in Japanese and Toro means 'bull' in spanish so it's kind of fun that both names have meanings in 2 languages!

In the end, we'll see what suits him best - but if you have any thoughts, please share!

Lastly, this little guy is a chocolate irish pied and we're interested to know how he grows into his coat and markings. Does anyone else have an irish pied they want to post? Would not be mad at pics :) Thanks everyone!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Congratulations! Welcome!

Reactions: erussel

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Welcome! He looks just precious. 🥰 Love his coloring... Our Truffles is a chocolate too. Chocolates do have a tendency to lighten as they get older. Are the parents chocolates? The names Natto and Toro are very cute. I like both names, but Natto is unique. If Truffles had been a boy the name would have been Snickers.😁

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome! He looks just precious. 🥰 Love his coloring... Our Truffles is a chocolate too. Chocolates do have a tendency to lighten as they get older. Are the parents chocolates? The names Natto and Toro are very cute. I like both names, but Natto is unique. If Truffles had been a boy the name would have been Snickers.😁
Interesting to know about colors getting lighter! The parents are actually both black/white partis, but the mom has chocolate in her line & this puppy was the only one of the litter to be irish pied! we didn't even notice he was the unique one of the litter - just fell in love first and then realized later. I love both Truffles and Snickers! (the names and the treats lol)

Thank you!

·
Registered
168 Posts
So cute!-welcome! I think both names are great! One thing that may help you decide: try to think about potential nicknames, and whether you like those. There’s a really funny recent thread in which everyone lists just a few of the weird nicknames we call our dogs by, and a lot of them are far from their real names, but there are definitely some obvious ones. (My Charlie also goes by Char, Char-char, Charlie-boo, Charles… among many others!) So, one idea is to see whatever nicknames pop into your head and make sure you wouldn’t mind calling a dog by that 😊

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Interesting to know about colors getting lighter! The parents are actually both black/white partis, but the mom has chocolate in her line & this puppy was the only one of the litter to be irish pied! we didn't even notice he was the unique one of the litter - just fell in love first and then realized later. I love both Truffles and Snickers! (the names and the treats lol)

Thank you!
Both parents would have yo carry chocolate for your little boy to be chocolate! 😊. It is a color that can “hide”, but needs to come from both parents.

Reactions: erussel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both parents would have yo carry chocolate for your little boy to be chocolate! 😊. It is a color that can “hide”, but needs to come from both parents.
Makes sense that it’s recessive! only 2 in the litter had chocolate colors after all

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So cute!-welcome! I think both names are great! One thing that may help you decide: try to think about potential nicknames, and whether you like those. There’s a really funny recent thread in which everyone lists just a few of the weird nicknames we call our dogs by, and a lot of them are far from their real names, but there are definitely some obvious ones. (My Charlie also goes by Char, Char-char, Charlie-boo, Charles… among many others!) So, one idea is to see whatever nicknames pop into your head and make sure you wouldn’t mind calling a dog by that 😊
That’s a great suggestion, we’ll have to think on that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts