Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum and and hoping for some guidance on my picky puppy's eating habits. He is 6 months old. We got him at 8 weeks and from then until about 5 months we fed him freeze dried raw beef. He LOVED it, he had a crazy appetite, so much that we had to get a slow feeding dish. We decided to start introducing a new protein (duck- same brand) slowly which he liked and then seem to stop. Then we tried to go back to the beef and he was no longer interested. We also realized he was teething pretty bad, so we thought maybe he was just uncomfortable. I since then tried multiple different brands/flavors all super high quality and at best he might eat it a couple times but then stop. We took him to the vet - and the vet confirmed he is healthy! He hasn't been loosing weight and maintains his super happy and playful spirit. We tried "starving" him out and letting him skip a couple meals, and he is fine skipping meals, but will throw up bile from the stomach acid. So I give him so kibble (Orijen and Ziwi Peak) as a snack so he has something in his belly. He will eat them but in small amounts and only from the hand like a treat. If I leave them in a dish, he won't touch them. As an experiment I gave him some cooked ground bison and hard boiled egg - and that he LOVES and gets excited about like his old self.

I'm tempted to try one of the fresh foods companies (NomNom, Farmer's Dog), but I don't really want to go down that path. I want him to have the healthiest diet and be happy about his meal time with not too much hassle:) Ideally - I'd like him to have the freeze dried raw, but at this point he turns his nose up at all of them. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? It would be GREATLY appreciated:)

Thanks,
Danielle

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I will say from experience, just pick a good quality food and stick with it. I went down this road with my girl. She was a very poor eater who seemed to turn her nose up at everything. She would eat a food for a day or two and then stop. She was a tiny pup and I was overly worried that she would get low blood sugar if she didn't eat so we played this game for awhile with the different foods. I ended up putting her back on the kibble her breeder had her on, which was right where we started. I kept her on it until some health issues forced a change. I believe that these dogs are not going to starve themselves and will eat what we feed them. Also if you put the food down for a set period of time and then remove it, that may help. My girl also went through weird periods where she would only eat off a plate, instead of a bowl, or would only eat if the food was on the floor! This too shall pass!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much! We've tried putting the food down and picking it up. It seems like you know EXACTLY what we are going through. Our little boy will sometimes only eat off the floor too. I would love for him to enjoy his mealtime - but he may just eat as needed. Did she wind up consistently eating the original kibble you put her back on or was it always hit or miss?

It looks like we will have to go back to starving him out. There are soo many great foods out there now - its so easy to fall into the trap of keep buying new ones to try hoping that they will save the day!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ours is so picky! I now mix a high quality kibble with a prepared fresh food. (he’s 18 months old and I JUST got him off puppy food because he would literally starve himself rather than trying anything else. Even slow switching didn’t work because he’d eat around the kibble!)

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
She never was a voracious eater and even to this day she will skip meals. When I switched brands of foods at about 18 months her appetite did improve. She eats Nature’s Variety Instinct kibble which I top with a little of their freeze dried raw. She will eat the whole bowl at once which she never did before.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
Per my understanding some dogs self regulate themself with regard to how much they eat. If the dog is healthy and at a good weight, it may be completely understandable and healthy for the dog to skip a meal. However, if a healthy dog is bile vomiting this typically means they are hungry. You would think they would not pass up a meal if they are hungry unless they really didn’t like it. And if they pass up their food to eat something you prepared perhaps this further indicates they don’t like it. Or is this considered picky?

My dogs enjoy their food so much and it makes me happy to see them enjoy it. They have never skipped a meal! So I can see how frustrating this would be to a dog owner. Some dogs may simply be picky. However, as frustrating as this is I personally would try a few more foods before giving up. I am wondering if you have tried raw food. Freeze dried raw is close but is somewhat different. Also wondering what brands you have tried. Not all freeze dried and raw are created equal. You could also work with a canine nutritionist and feed your dog a homemade diet. I replied to you in the “Best indoor potty” thread. Please see that for more information.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Sounds like you're using Honest Kitchen. I've been using that for over a year. I've tried lots of different dog food. Initially, Patti Loved HK. Then one day she was No Longer in Love.

This is how I fixed that problem:

Rotation and Adding Fresh Cooked Food as a topping.

• I have both dehydrated HK Chicken and Beef and rotate as the feeling moves me. 1/4 C.
  • I have all the different kinds of HK Broth, rotating as the feeling moves me and I add 1/4th to 1/3rd of the box to the dry mix per serving
  • I have different kinds of HK Kibble Bits and I add 5-10 pieces on top to make it Crunchy
  • I boil a chicken hen (or buy precooked chicken) and add a few pieces of chicken on top all of that
  • I use the Chicken Broth water I boiled the chicken in to mix up the dehydrated food instead of water
  • Or I'll use Chicken or Beef broth out of the box to mix up the dehydrated food
  • Roast Beef is on another topping instead of chicken

Occasionally, Patti skips a meal. I no longer worry about it.

Do You Think Patti is Spoiled? :x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your responses! Greatly appreciated. Yes it is heartbreaking to watch him be sooooo uninterested in food. I love when he is happy and excited about meal time! So it breaks my heart and drives me crazy when he continues to turn his nose up, and give me "those"eyes. I have tired multiple brands of the freeze dried. For the first 4.5 months he lovved "Small Batch." I since then have tried : Open Farm, Northwest Naturals, Stella & Chewy, Bravo and Tucker's. I have tried adding bone broth too (Open Farm), that helped a littled at first but he quickly lost interest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello,

I have not tried Honest Kitchen yet, but perhaps I will give it a try! I love all you do for Patti! I would love to be able to add chicken, but nothing I add to the kibble entices him. When I mixed some fresh cooked ground beef into his kibble, he literally sucked the ground beef off the kibble and then spit them all over the floor. LOL! He does enjoy his kibble (Orijen and Ziwi) on their own, but only as like treats or if he finds them on the floor. He won't actually eat them out of the bowl.

Thanks!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
Thanks for your responses! Greatly appreciated. Yes it is heartbreaking to watch him be sooooo uninterested in food. I love when he is happy and excited about meal time! So it breaks my heart and drives me crazy when he continues to turn his nose up, and give me "those"eyes. I have tired multiple brands of the freeze dried. For the first 4.5 months he lovved "Small Batch." I since then have tried : Open Farm, Northwest Naturals, Stella & Chewy, Bravo and Tucker's. I have tried adding bone broth too (Open Farm), that helped a littled at first but he quickly lost interest.
Sounds like high quality foods but I would be tempted to try raw food that is not HPP processed and does not have veggies or added vitamins. Wondering also if you just try reducing the amount at each meal. He may be getting too much at one meal so he skips the next. Then he gets too hungry for the next meal and bile vomits. In other words, try to keep up the frequency but reduce the quantity at each meal. I would also avoid any between meal snacks and treats, especially kibble. You have him on something of much better quality than kibble so I wouldn't want to go backwards and try to get him to like it. If the food is better quality, they do not need as much. Just some ideas. Please do what you feel is best. You could also consult with a canine nutritionist and learn how to make your own.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Here are pictures of what Honest Kitchen looks to go along with the explanation of how I use HK. I'm not Sales Person for HK. Don't get any commission for showing these pictures. I've been through a lot of different dog food brands and there is a lot of GOOD food out there. One of these days I'll probably have to switch but right now HK is working....as long as I include CHICKEN as a topping. Therefore, she'd probably eat anything I put it on.

Patti seemed like a Picky Eater and that's why I was switching food. Plus..I was a Stupid Puppy Mom and that didn't know what else to do. In the beginning Patti LOVED!!! HK. Then all of the sudden she Fell Out of Love.

HK is expensive. I had a whole lot of it and tried adding some left over CHICKEN and put a few pieces on the top of HK. BINGO!!! She ate every thing. Licked the bowel clean.

I did that for a few days and one day I stopped: THINKING! she was back to eating HK.

I put her breakfast bowel down WITHOUT CHICKEN topping, then walked away. Patti ran over to the bowel, and without touching it she turned around, quickly walked over to me and SAT DOWN. Sitting still as mouse, starring up at me with those pretty little brown eyes. I could Read Her Mind.

Where's the Chicken? So ... that's why Patti gets Chicken with every meal.

This is 1/8th Cup of HK. mixed with chicken/beef broth instead of water. In addition, I add 1TB of HK Broth to the dehydrated food. Topped with 5-8 HK Kibble bits and CHICKEN. One serving is less than 1/2 C. I don't know how she weights 15lbs on such a small amount of food. When I gave her a larger serving she Threw It Up.

Bowel Lickin' Good!!!

Attachments

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
Here are pictures of what Honest Kitchen looks to go along with the explanation of how I use HK. I'm not Sales Person for HK. Don't get any commission for showing these pictures. I've been through a lot of different dog food brands and there is a lot of GOOD food out there. One of these days I'll probably have to switch but right now HK is working....as long as I include CHICKEN as a topping. Therefore, she'd probably eat anything I put it on.

Patti seemed like a Picky Eater and that's why I was switching food. Plus..I was a Stupid Puppy Mom and that didn't know what else to do. In the beginning Patti LOVED!!! HK. Then all of the sudden she Fell Out of Love.

HK is expensive. I had a whole lot of it and tried adding some left over CHICKEN and put a few pieces on the top of HK. BINGO!!! She ate every thing. Licked the bowel clean.

I did that for a few days and one day I stopped: THINKING! she was back to eating HK.

I put her breakfast bowel down WITHOUT CHICKEN topping, then walked away. Patti ran over to the bowel, and without touching it she turned around, quickly walked over to me and SAT DOWN. Sitting still as mouse, starring up at me with those pretty little brown eyes. I could Read Her Mind.

Where's the Chicken? So ... that's why Patti gets Chicken with every meal.

This is 1/4 C of HK. mixed with chicken/beef broth instead of water. In addition, I add 1TB of HK Broth to the dehydrated food. Topped with 5-8 HK Kibble bits and CHICKEN. One serving is less than 1/2 C. I don't know how she weights 15lbs on such a small amount of food. When I gave her a larger serving she Threw It Up.

Bowel Lickin' Good!!!
Looks very tasty! I wonder if you ever top it with a different type of protein like beef? Although I have no experience with finicky dogs I do with finicky cats. They would LOVE something then suddenly turn their nose up. To avoid this, I rotated their food so they would not become bored and stop eating it. Not sure if this applies to dogs or not but thought I would mention it.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Looks very tasty! I wonder if you ever top it with a different type of protein like beef? Although I have no experience with finicky dogs I do with finicky cats. They would LOVE something then suddenly turn their nose up. To avoid this, I rotated their food so they would not become bored and stop eating it. Not sure if this applies to dogs or not but thought I would mention it.
I rotate and mix and match Beef and Chicken HK dehydrated, with beef and chicken broth, and use different HK Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Beef Stews/Broth along different Crunchy bites (like Kibble) of various varieties. Something new all the time.

I boil the chicken and want to add a fresh cooked beef.

What do you recommend? I've tried giving her fresh uncooked chicken and Patti picked it out and tried to bury in the chair. :wink2:

Liver??

BTW ... my Cosmos are peeking out of the dirt.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
I rotate and mix and match Beef and Chicken HK dehydrated, with beef and chicken broth, and use different HK Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Beef Stews/Broth along different Crunchy bites (like Kibble) of various varieties. Something new all the time.

I boil the chicken and want to add a fresh cooked beef.

What do you recommend? I've tried giving her fresh uncooked chicken and Patti picked it out and tried to bury in the chair. :wink2:

Liver??

BTW ... my Cosmos are peeking out of the dirt.
That sounds like great variety. I was just wondering if you ever added fresh beef on top vs chicken. Liver is great although this is one of those healthy things that can cause imbalances if too much is used. It is very high in vitamin A which is a fat soluble vitamin and stored in the body. The food you are feeding should contain vitamin A already. If Patti likes the cooked chicken better no need to force her to eat the raw. Glad she is liking it. Although my dogs are not finicky my cats have driven me crazy over the years. As soon as I thought I found the perfect food they loved they would start walking away from their dish!

Glad the cosmos is growing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
She never was a voracious eater and even to this day she will skip meals. When I switched brands of foods at about 18 months her appetite did improve. She eats Nature's Variety Instinct kibble which I top with a little of their freeze dried raw. She will eat the whole bowl at once which she never did before.
Wow! That's very interesting.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I have been bombarded with ads for fresh dog food in my FB feed in the last week. I'm always interested in what's out there, so I've been taking a look at them. The prices aren't bad and the ingredients look good... for most dogs. Then I drill down and EVERY.SINGLE.ONE of them has either salmon oil or cod liver oil. So not ONE of them is suitable for Kodi. I can't BELIEVE he is the ONLY dog with a fish allergy. They even ASK about allergies, but then don't mention the fish oils.

Oh well, we'll continue to stick with what's working!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I have been bombarded with ads for fresh dog food in my FB feed in the last week. I'm always interested in what's out there, so I've been taking a look at them. The prices aren't bad and the ingredients look good... for most dogs. Then I drill down and EVERY.SINGLE.ONE of them has either salmon oil or cod liver oil. So not ONE of them is suitable for Kodi. I can't BELIEVE he is the ONLY dog with a fish allergy. They even ASK about allergies, but then don't mention the fish oils.

Oh well, we'll continue to stick with what's working!
Recently, I read some articles about fish oil for dogs that have been very negative towards it. Not so much because of allergies, however fish oil can go rancid very quickly. And a rancid oil is not good for anyone. A few years ago, they led us to believe our dogs could not survive without it! Just like human food, the rules are constantly changing!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
Recently, I read some articles about fish oil for dogs that have been very negative towards it. Not so much because of allergies, however fish oil can go rancid very quickly. And a rancid oil is not good for anyone. A few years ago, they led us to believe our dogs could not survive without it! Just like human food, the rules are constantly changing!
Well dog food manufacturers sure haven't read that... it's in almost everything!!!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
Well dog food manufacturers sure haven't read that... it's in almost everything!!!
In my raw feeding groups, I have seen a change in attitude towards fish oil over the years. It used to be highly recommended for anyone who could not feed their dogs pasture raised meats. In particular, grass finished meats such as beef have a great omega 3 to 6 ratio. Animals that are not raised on pasture are way too high in omega 6, especially animals who are fed lots of corn and soy. Vegetables also are high in omega 6 and omega 3s in vegetables are not assimilated like those from animals. Therefore, most commercial dog foods are very high in omega 6. Homemade diets can be too because grass fed meats are super expensive and not everyone can afford them.

Adding fish oil is one way to improve the omega 3 to 6 ratio. However, the concern about fish oil is that it goes rancid very quickly when exposed to the air. Therefore, many folks have ditched the fish oil and are feeding fish instead like sardines and mackerel, or trying to add some grass finished meats to the diet. Here is one article about this.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/fish-oil-omega-3-dogs-safe/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts