Havanese Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
In my raw feeding groups, I have seen a change in attitude towards fish oil over the years. It used to be highly recommended for anyone who could not feed their dogs pasture raised meats. In particular, grass finished meats such as beef have a great omega 3 to 6 ratio. Animals that are not raised on pasture are way too high in omega 6, especially animals who are fed lots of corn and soy. Vegetables also are high in omega 6 and omega 3s in vegetables are not assimilated like those from animals. Therefore, most commercial dog foods are very high in omega 6. Homemade diets can be too because grass fed meats are super expensive and not everyone can afford them.

Adding fish oil is one way to improve the omega 3 to 6 ratio. However, the concern about fish oil is that it goes rancid very quickly when exposed to the air. Therefore, many folks have ditched the fish oil and are feeding fish instead like sardines and mackerel, or trying to add some grass finished meats to the diet. Here is one article about this.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/fish-oil-omega-3-dogs-safe/
Well, in Kodi's case, neither beef (grass-fed or otherwise) not ANY kind of fish or fish oil) are a possibility.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
Well, in Kodi's case, neither beef (grass-fed or otherwise) not ANY kind of fish or fish oil) are a possibility.
Although my dogs are okay with fish, I had a cat who could not tolerate it. Finding a cat food without fish is very difficult. So I can identify with your pain.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
How much do you wet the freeze dried diet? I noticed when I started adding more water than I used to his regularity as far as poop improved. I think when it’s more dry it slows them down a bit. It really absorbs a lot. I used to just dampen it all over but I noticed if there is extra water in the bowl it will soak it all up so now I add a lot more.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
How much do you wet the freeze dried diet? I noticed when I started adding more water than I used to his regularity as far as poop improved. I think when it's more dry it slows them down a bit. It really absorbs a lot. I used to just dampen it all over but I noticed if there is extra water in the bowl it will soak it all up so now I add a lot more.
That is a great question. I am a huge fan of moisture in dog food, however I do not have experience with freeze dried food. I assume that there are recommendations on the bag? I would error on the side of caution and as long as the food continues to absorb moisture I would add more. I don't think you can go wrong with too much moisture! Mia's mom had crystals in her bladder so I have been paranoid to try and prevent them by feeding moist food. I was afraid she may have inherited the tendency.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
That’s a good point. I was thinking more in terms of appetite, that slower bowel function can affect appetite, but hydration is important in general.

Rehydrating isn’t required if it’s served with water, which might be why I remember the packaging being vague when I fed patties exclusively. I think it’s more complicated than it not being “required,” though, because it doesn’t cause problems for a lot of dogs and puppies, but I think it makes a big difference for dogs like mine that eat all their food in 5 seconds. I switched to a blend of freeze dried raw and kibble, but sometimes the pieces aren’t dispersed well so I keep a bag of patties to add a little when needed without digging around. The package says 1/4c water for two patties, but I remember being unsure before. Maybe it did say that all along and I just didn’t look hard enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

I have not tried Honest Kitchen yet, but perhaps I will give it a try! I love all you do for Patti! I would love to be able to add chicken, but nothing I add to the kibble entices him. When I mixed some fresh cooked ground beef into his kibble, he literally sucked the ground beef off the kibble and then spit them all over the floor. LOL! He does enjoy his kibble (Orijen and Ziwi) on their own, but only as like treats or if he finds them on the floor. He won't actually eat them out of the bowl.

Thanks!
OMG, this is exactly what I'm going through with our 8-month old, Meeko. Soooo picky! I'm enjoying reading everyone's suggestions - thanks!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts