Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
LOL! Ah, yes. The witching hour. I remember that! There are advantages to NOT having puppies! LOL!

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Marion
42 Posts
We've had really good results with the high pitched "yipe" whenever Finley bites. At first, we would "yipe" and immediately put her in her pen for about a minute (no scolding her or angry voice, just the quick yipe sound and in the pen). Now, the "yipe" alone seems to take care of it. She's least likely to bit me, and I'm the strictest about it. My husband and one of our daughters are more lenient and she will still occasionally get bitey with them, but it's not bad. This has worked pretty well with other dogs we've had as well; in fact, now if I can see she's starting to get nippy, I'll make the sound and she seems to understand. I also put my fingers in her mouth frequently; when she keeps her mouth open and doesn't chomp down, I praise her. (I saw something online about the biting - I think it was a Wittle Havanese video - and she talked about putting your hands and fingers in their mouths frequently; not sure if that works for everyone, but it's been good advice for us!)

Good luck!

·
Arf! Arf!
2,744 Posts
It is time for the evening frenzy... No toy, sock, foot, sleeve, or hand is safe from the PIRANHA PUPPY! >:).
CONGRATULATIONS! you have now reached the baby shark phase. This means your Havababy is normal. I remember coming home one day finding a cardboard box with a perfectly formed shark bite out of it. I think I posted a picture of that on HF. This too will pass followed by another destructive phase (which will pass). There are pros and cons of having a Havanese puppy. :Cry:

Ricky's Popi

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had forgotten about how exhausting a puppy is. I was ready to go to bed at eight last night. Luckily he doesn't protest being in his crate at night.

It has been only 6 days so we are all learning. Fezzik is learning that piranha puppies don't get played with. We are learning that he needs to go out 35 minutes after eating.

The milestone of the day: He headed for the door. He didn't make it because he dodged when we tried to put the leash on BUT he headed for the door. (not for the litter box 3 feet away from him which would have been so much easier.)

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
We've had really good results with the high pitched "yipe" whenever Finley bites. At first, we would "yipe" and immediately put her in her pen for about a minute (no scolding her or angry voice, just the quick yipe sound and in the pen). Now, the "yipe" alone seems to take care of it. She's least likely to bit me, and I'm the strictest about it. My husband and one of our daughters are more lenient and she will still occasionally get bitey with them, but it's not bad. This has worked pretty well with other dogs we've had as well; in fact, now if I can see she's starting to get nippy, I'll make the sound and she seems to understand. I also put my fingers in her mouth frequently; when she keeps her mouth open and doesn't chomp down, I praise her. (I saw something online about the biting - I think it was a Wittle Havanese video - and she talked about putting your hands and fingers in their mouths frequently; not sure if that works for everyone, but it's been good advice for us!)

Good luck!
I'd be careful about the Wittle Havanese videos. I think her grooming videos are OK. Her training videos are not ones I would use with my dogs. A lot of them are pretty "dominance" based.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS! you have now reached the baby shark phase. This means your Havababy is normal. I remember coming home one day finding a cardboard box with a perfectly formed shark bite out of it. I think I posted a picture of that on HF. This too will pass followed by another destructive phase (which will pass). There are pros and cons of having a Havanese puppy. :Cry:

Ricky's Popi
Like this? With "Nearly Picture Perfect" Pixel?

Attachments

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
I had forgotten about how exhausting a puppy is. I was ready to go to bed at eight last night. Luckily he doesn't protest being in his crate at night.

It has been only 6 days so we are all learning. Fezzik is learning that piranha puppies don't get played with. We are learning that he needs to go out 35 minutes after eating.

The milestone of the day: He headed for the door. He didn't make it because he dodged when we tried to put the leash on BUT he headed for the door. (not for the litter box 3 feet away from him which would have been so much easier.)
LOL!

The girls really didn't do the "witching hour" thing, But I remember calling Pam, at my wit's end, because Kodi would rev himself up so, right when I was trying to get supper on the table. TOTALLY out of control. Bitey, screaming, put him in his pen and he HOWLED at the TOP of his voice... She suggested putting him in his crate and covering it, so he couldn't see us. We tried it. He howled louder. For about 3 minutes. Then TOTAL silence. I hardly dared, but I peeked under the cover and he was totally passed out and he slept for over an hour. Long enough for us to get dinner done.

I think he was over-tired, and just like a toddler, revving himself up to avoid falling asleep and missing anything... getting crankier at every step. From then on, we started a routine of putting him in his crate and covering it the minute he started to rev up. He fell asleep faster and faster. He was just a kid who needed his nap! LOL!

After his nap, he got up, went potty, had some nice playtime, pottied again and was ready for bed when we were!

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
Izzie has finally stopped the baby shark stage. Now it's the I want to get into everything. Trash cans and laundry baskets are her favorite. Izzie is like the energizer bunny. I have to put in her exercise pen so that she will take a nap.
<sigh> Kodi is 11 1/2 and NEVER out-grew the "trash can phase". So EVERY trash can in our house... even the little bitty bathroom ones are the ones with the foot peddle to open them! ;)

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
Izzie has finally stopped the baby shark stage. Now it's the I want to get into everything. Trash cans and laundry baskets are her favorite. Izzie is like the energizer bunny. I have to put in her exercise pen so that she will take a nap.
<sigh> Kodi is 11 1/2 and NEVER out-grew the "trash can phase". So EVERY trash can in our house... even the little bitty bathroom ones are the ones with the foot peddle to open them! ;)

I keep a VERY close eye on him at other people's houses... not because he's not "potty trained"... Oh, he's TOTALLY reliable THAT way. But he WILL go "dumpster diving" in every trash can in the house! :pound:

·
Marion
42 Posts
I'd be careful about the Wittle Havanese videos. I think her grooming videos are OK. Her training videos are not ones I would use with my dogs. A lot of them are pretty "dominance" based.
I only watched a few before we knew we were getting Finley, to get my Havanese fix, and I don't remember seeing any of her training videos. The only thing I really remember is the one about biting and getting them used to your fingers.

·
Ali
89 Posts
10000% agree on Wittle Havanese videos. Try videos by How To Train A Dream Dog, Kikopup, or Training Positive channels. I also enjoy Zak George.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I remember those days. The grandkids quit eating in the kitchen-family area, the room Patti was confined in when out of her ex-pen. Because she would bite their feet and pester them while eating.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
10000% agree on Wittle Havanese videos. Try videos by How To Train A Dream Dog, Kikopup, or Training Positive channels. I also enjoy Zak George.
Agree on all of those.

94 Posts

I keep a VERY close eye on him at other people's houses... not because he's not "potty trained"... Oh, he's TOTALLY reliable THAT way. But he WILL go "dumpster diving" in every trash can in the house! :pound:
This prompted me to search online for a new trash can for our kitchen and bathrooms! :grin2:

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
This prompted me to search online for a new trash can for our kitchen and bathrooms! :grin2:
THAT is a riot! Let's see ... what else can we help you shop for?

Do you have a multitude of water dishes? Shama has one in her pen, one in the dining room four feet away from her pen, one in the office, and one in the lower level. She also has one in each car as well as one in her training bag. Speaking of training bags, I'll ask DH to put the link to the really nice bag he gave me for my birthday. And speaking of water, a lot of people at agility have water bottles with a bowl on top. You squeeze the bottle to push water into the bowl for the dog. I just like a good old metal bowl.

Do you have a toy box? I really like the open top one my father-in-law made for Shama. (Gather your kids ...). It's pictured in this link.

Do you have an elevated bed? They're convenient for inside and outside (especially in warm weather), and we take them to outdoor restaurants so Shama has a designated spot.

94 Posts

Do you have a multitude of water dishes? Shama has one in her pen, one in the dining room four feet away from her pen, one in the office, and one in the lower level. She also has one in each car as well as one in her training bag. Speaking of training bags, I'll ask DH to put the link to the really nice bag he gave me for my birthday. And speaking of water, a lot of people at agility have water bottles with a bowl on top. You squeeze the bottle to push water into the bowl for the dog. I just like a good old metal bowl.

Do you have a toy box? I really like the open top one my father-in-law made for Shama. (Gather your kids ...). It's pictured in this link.

Do you have an elevated bed? They're convenient for inside and outside (especially in warm weather), and we take them to outdoor restaurants so Shama has a designated spot.
I LOVE the pictures of Shama. She is so cute!!

Do you have any specific recommendations for a water dish, food dish and water bottles? There are so many out there.

I'll have to add a toy box and an elevated bed. I was looking at bolstered beds and donut beds over the weekend but couldn't find one that I really liked.

I know I need to make up my mind about "the basics" first but can't help myself. LOL.

Keep the ideas coming!:smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts

Good Reference: Dumpster Diving. LOL!

The trash can in the utility room sits on top of the counter. The trash can in our master bedroom sits in the bathtub. The Guest Bathroom trash can is only for decoration. I keep it cleaned out or Patti cleans it out for me. Patti will be 3-years-old at the end of February.

I rarely take Patti to anyone's home, but when I do she's on a leash. I'm not concerned about her Doing Her Job in the house but she's very curious and nothing is safe even if it's on a countertop if there is a stool, ottoman or chair nearby. All pens, pencils, eyeglasses and earbuds are kept in drawers if not in use or on someone's body. Kleenex boxes are kept out of sight.

Recently I read a personality description that said ALL Havanese LOVE! to tear up paper.

Oops! Patti just brought in big wet stick from outside and taken it under the bed, a place I can't reach. The other day it was an amputated rabbits leg. :x

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts

Your elevated bed for outdoor dining is Hysterical!!! Patti's toy box is one of her first puppy beds she outgrew. I have a big fuzzy bed on the top of a patio table Patti loves to nestle in after the sun goes down so she can keep watch over the deer or in the early morning hours. Sometime will have to get a pic. And, we have dog water bowels in all vehicles.

The photos of Shama are beautiful.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts